Inexpensive Exterior Detailing for your G!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inexpensive Exterior Detailing for your G!

Hello everyone,

Do to the overwhelming number of people who responded to a post I made on another thread, I thought I'd start one of my own and just let everyone know about this deal.

I recently purchased a FLEX VRG random orbital buffer and a ton of Menzerna products from www.detailedimage.com. I did this because I'm very **** about my car, it's my baby and not my daily driver by any means. Hell I've had the car for 1.5 years and it has 7600 miles on it. It hasn't seen a bit of rain.

So I love keeping it really clean and shiny so that's why I bought all this product (about $400 worth of stuff). The complete detailing process is as follows:

Clean Engine (as long as it's cold)
Wash
Clay bar
Wash again
Polish
Glaze
Sealant
Wax & Tires/Wheels

I recently had my wife's 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R detailed by a company that comes to your house and does the work there. It cost me $150 for the complete detail. They did a nice job, but they didn't do anything other than wash/clay bar/wax the car. They did the engine and the wheels and they used Meguiars products. So not the full process and Meguiars products are decent. But $150 is pretty freakin' expensive, especially for just a hand wash and wax. So I thought, why not make a little money doing this and help myself learn the process better by offering a deal to my friends/co-workers/family where I would do this exterior detailing to their cars for $60. It would help me get more efficient with the process and give them a super deal on a detail! I started about 3 weeks ago and so far I've done 3 vehicles now. It took me NINE hours to do my car the first time! I've now got the process down to about 6

Because I am really picky about cleaning, I'd probably wipe down the interior parts of your car and vacuum it as well. I have leather cleaner and conditioner that works great... I dont use any products on the interior surfaces other than a damp cloth (just water).

I do it in the early morning (like very early 7AM) or I can do it in the late afternoon and take advantage of the fact that it's still light out around 8PM, then pull it in the garage and use the lighting there. I prefer the morning though.

Thanks,
Anthony

Here's a pic of my car after I finished the detail, a few weeks ago.

Inexpensive Exterior Detailing for your G!-g37-detail-pic.jpg

Last edited by waijai; 07-26-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:04 PM
FYI, $150 is no where near expensive. Hell those detailing at the regular store cost about that price. A detail job, depending on the condition of the car and the quality delivered, can go from $300-$500. A detail job is not just wash, clay bar, and wax. Do some research if you wanna get in this field. It is not an easy way of making money through this but if you have the energy. By all means, go for it.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
damn your car looks clean... if i cared about my car enough, and didnt live in mckinney, i would be all over this.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by jlo0109
FYI, $150 is no where near expensive. Hell those detailing at the regular store cost about that price. A detail job, depending on the condition of the car and the quality delivered, can go from $300-$500. A detail job is not just wash, clay bar, and wax. Do some research if you wanna get in this field. It is not an easy way of making money through this but if you have the energy. By all means, go for it.
I'm not in it to make money, which is pretty obvious. Like I mentioned before, it's to get more efficient with the process and pay for my time. But your right, I'm sure they can get up to $300-$500, $150 is expensive to most people, it's all relative.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by jlo0109
A detail job is not just wash, clay bar, and wax. Do some research if you wanna get in this field.
...and I'm pretty sure that since I meticulously laid out what I do when i detail my car, that i've done the research.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have nearly all the same products from detailed image but haven't really learned all the tricks... heck, it was the 4th attempt that I learned there was a speed control on my porter cable buffer! Sometime I would like to have some sort of a detailing meet so I can pick up some tricks. As you get better and really start to know the process maybe I can meet you up and we can work on my car together so that I can gain some knowledge... my OB is a great color to work on because it shows everything.

Anyhow, good luck!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by eah026000
I have nearly all the same products from detailed image but haven't really learned all the tricks... heck, it was the 4th attempt that I learned there was a speed control on my porter cable buffer! Sometime I would like to have some sort of a detailing meet so I can pick up some tricks. As you get better and really start to know the process maybe I can meet you up and we can work on my car together so that I can gain some knowledge... my OB is a great color to work on because it shows everything.

Anyhow, good luck!
Thanks and anytime. I will probably do the full process to my car every 4 or 5 months. I'll try to remember to PM you the next time I do one.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Where around Dallas are you located?

Old 07-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Sorry the original post got edited because I was in violation of rules. Didn't mean to.

I live in South Fort Worth.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm curious how the Menzerna products compare to Zaino as that's all I've ever used. But my G sure could use a good detail like you're doing!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:08 PM
There was a time about a year ago when I was thinking of taking the plunge and forking out lots of cash for detailing products, and was going to go with Zaino stuff. I guess I just heard lots of good stuff about Menzerna and since DetailedImage doesn't seem to carry Zaino, I went with Menzerna. Both are extremely good products I'm sure.

There's a thread on myG37 where people post what they use for each step of the process, so it's neat to see how many use Zaino for some things and Menzerna for others.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BeerViper
I'm curious how the Menzerna products compare to Zaino as that's all I've ever used. But my G sure could use a good detail like you're doing!
The Menzerna FMJ is comparable in terms of the shine and depth. But it doesn't seem to be as durable. I've used Z2 and it is a pain to take off, which is why I think it is so durable.

I've recently got some of this Polycharger booster. It seems to be some kind of accelerator that you add to the Menzerna FMJ. I did add a drop to my FMJ and it seems to work in a similar manner as the ZFX for the Z2 Pro. The consistency of the FMJ feels a little different going on and coming off. I used it, I'm still skeptical. It seems to be pretty durable for the past few weeks.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Okay, since we both have the exact same AG G37s, we should get together after us both doing a full detail and see which is better. You use your Menzerna and I will use my Zainos. I think it will be a great comparison and we can put our cars side by side and post pics on the forums.

What wax do you use?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 PM
id offer my car up as a test run, but i live in okc and only go down to frisco like once every couple of months for like a day or two

Old 07-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Heat
Okay, since we both have the exact same AG G37s, we should get together after us both doing a full detail and see which is better. You use your Menzerna and I will use my Zainos. I think it will be a great comparison and we can put our cars side by side and post pics on the forums.

What wax do you use?
P21S

http://www.detailedimage.com/P21S-M1...auba-Wax-P136/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Exterior Detailing for your G!