Current events in Egypt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:03 AM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by STFU_NOOB
Go to Jordan and tell the your Christian and see if they welcome you with open arms.
Umm I'd just like to point out that there are many Christians in Jordan, I highly doubt you'd be harassed for being Christan. Other Arab countries maybe but not Jordan for sure.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:12 AM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Defratos
Umm I'd just like to point out that there are many Christians in Jordan, I highly doubt you'd be harassed for being Christan. Other Arab countries maybe but not Jordan for sure.

I only say this because a Veteran I know told me a soldier from Jordan told him that he would have to kill him if he did not convert to his religion. That the only reason stopping him was the Co-op between the two.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Go to Jordan and tell the your Christian and see if they welcome you with open arms.
I have.. and they did. point?

Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts
I beg to differ w/ that as well.. Christians are seen PROTECTING Muslims in this pic..

Based on this article, they're coming together for a common cause.. To oust Mubarak..

http://observers.france24.com/conten...cracy-religion

Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 PM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I only say this because a Veteran I know told me a soldier from Jordan told him that he would have to kill him if he did not convert to his religion. That the only reason stopping him was the Co-op between the two.
Well the solider must of been on crack, I got no idea where he got that from

Old 02-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Therefore the whole country wants to kill you.

Muslims love you no matter what "religion" you are. they're radicals everywhere, in every country, in every religion. The older generation in Arabic countries didn't understand why Palestinians were not equally supported in 1973. That's about the only negative collective thoughts in Jordan and Egypt. They understand that you didn't play a part in US polices in "73 and have no resentment towards Americans.

FEAR-FEAR-FEAR... they're after YOU! (according to my veteran friend) We must take them out first! or you could relax and support them.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Guys. As you all can imagine I've been a bit preoccupied and hadn't visited the forums for a while.

Hound, thanks for asking about my family, thankfully all of them are ok. My wife's cousin was in Tahrir square (the main sight of the protesting) and went missing for a very tense day but finally made it back home. I still don't have the details of what happened to him that day. I may have to go to Egypt myself as my Father who lives elsewhere in the Middle East wants to go to get all his life savings out of the banks there. I am trying to convince him to leave it as is and not go there right now. But if he does go, I'm not letting him go alone.

I am so happy that this finally happened. I am so proud of all those brave people standing up to their oppressive government. The Egyptians in DFW went on Friday the 28th of Jan to Houston to protest in front of the Egyptian consulate, to stand in solidarity with the people protesting in Egypt. All over the US similar protests where held, with one here in DFW on Sunday Jan 30th downtown. I saw several Americans marching with us, in support of human rights and freedom.

The whole reason I am here now is because my parents had enough of the corruption in Egypt and left to find a better living elsewhere. This is going to have huge repercussions in the whole region. Democracy, freedom and human rights are going to spread. The world will be a better place for it. The neighboring dictators are all ****ting bricks. Already there were protests in Jordan, and the king there sacked the entire cabinet and promised reforms. There were protests in Yemen and the President there promised not to run in the upcoming elections nor have his son run.

As Twalls said, this is a revolution of people who are tired of their corrupt government stealing while they starve and struggle to feed their families. They are tired of 'emergency Laws' that were enacted in 1981 and stand to this day that allow the government to arrest anyone at any time and detain them indefinitely with no trial. They are tired of police brutality. In fact, that was one of the sticks that finally broke the camels back: http://blogs.amnesty.org.uk/blogs_entry.asp?eid=6666 People were holding signs saying "We are all Khalid Said" The link will tell you who Khalid Said is. Muslims and Christians are side by side united as Egyptian people just wanting a decent government, the ability to feed themselves and their families and their basic human rights. Certain media outlets and talk radio stations will have you believe this is an Islamist revolution and they are extremists and all that none sense. It is simply not true, as evidenced by Christians protecting the Muslims as they prayed Friday prayers and Muslims doing the same during Sunday Mass. The Muslims Brotherhood came out and said they would not field a presidential candidate, to assuage fears in the West.

Meanwhile the Government withdrew the police force after they failed to crush the protesters and released a few thousand prisoners from jail to lead to security fears and have the people long for 'safe and stable days'. They also released their hired thugs to go act as pro-mubarak protesters and beat up the anti-government protesters. They were offering money and food for people to hold up pro-Mubarak signs. And the latest is that a church was blown up, and it was found to be a former government leader behind it. They were trying to divide the people and scare the Western powers and say, see, extremists are loose, you need us to stay in power, or else. But they got caught, those ****ing heartless, soulless bastards. This is the kind of stuff that government does just to stay in power. but it's not going to work anymore. The people have had enough.

</end rant>

Old 02-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
^ Very very insightful man. I had no idea about the most recent events that you were talking about in your last paragraph. I knew that they were injecting pro-Mubarak into the fold, but I didn't know about the bombing.

It's nice to be able to get my news/updates from people who are actually connected to the situation, rather than having to rely on the likes of our media. It is for that very reason that I refuse to watch Fox or other similar outlets.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:16 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts
Man.. If you go, I hope you and your father have a safe and blessed journey..

Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Definitely safe travels amigo, that's a dangerous journey and please keep us up to date. And I agree with Brit, this is definitely very informative. Not surprising that the various governments (probably including our own) are playing the situation. As a guy I used to work with said often "gotta take advantage of a good disaster." Sad, but very true. I thought it was a little odd that Obama came out very supportive of the Egyptian people at the beginning and slowly but surely has been pulling back a little.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 AM
I had tea at several locations with the local who are so proud to teach vistors about Islam and Egyptian daily life that will never be read in our history books. I learned a lot about Sa'id and Nasser and the Free Officers. I'm so grateful to have met so many loving people. I have am email from a friend I met and he want me to know that a friend of peace and freedom doesn't have a nationality. we all should have the right to stand up for what is right. even if you are the minority. be heard!

I thought it was a very moving email. I can not express with a keyboard how much I am moved by the brothers and sisters of Egypt. I.. I'm very emotional about this to say the least. "get up, stand up.. don't give up the fight".

Old 02-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Mubarak expected to step down today. He is going to speak to the nation in 8 minutes!

I woke up Tuesday morning and found messages from my Dad saying he is already in Egypt and made it home ok. So I did not go obviously. Right now I am glued to the TV to watch the announcement, hoping that the rumor is true and he's finally gotten the hint, and the people have won.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Wow that's crazy!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mubarak stayed in office. Now the people are REALLY MADD!!! He just keeps stalling and this protesting will only get more violent if he continues to do so. I hear that tomorrow something big will happen. They will march somewhere I believe. I'm waiting to hear the plans for tomorrow.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:00 PM
They will march at the Presidential Palace. Of Course Mubarak isn't there, he is in the Sinai, at sharm el sheikh.

I am so disappointed. Everyone had they're hopes up. This is going to get ugly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Current events in Egypt