Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plus the gas to drive there and back.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueBOB
575+tax is $622.44 and Austin isn't local perse... $600 is local
A few dollars more =\ but how im seeing it is, Steve is an authorized tuner while uprev will be the people who actually developed the software... Im not to familiar with who Steve is and I am certainly not trying to make others second guess this guy. Thus what Im trying to say is, I rather go to someone who I know developed the software and know what the kinks are and what not than go to Steve who I am unfamiliar with his work.

I would certainly not mind if someone could give me more info about him and his work, but right now I am just going off someones word saying he is a great tuner and all. A good ex. is "CIN TUNING" if anyone has ever browsed the tuner section, you can see how well that person tunes bc of all the work that is posted.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:27 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
I Will help you out alittle bit Algy. Steve Kan first off is flown all around the US to tune cars.....he also all over youtube. Secondly he is a major tuner in the MAZDA Area however has been nice enough to want to work with the DFW G35 club on his new tunes. He also teaches tuning classes out of shop if you ever want to visit.

http://www.kantuning.com/forum/searc...d9aa5892a8cbeb

Lastly the tune you purchase from UPREV...Standard license is 3 Maps of E-tunes...which are preloaded tune based on your mods. You purchase the license and they send them to you in a file and you plug up your PC and load it down. Thats not a customized Tune. I believe you should call UPREV and speak to them as well if you want to go down there for a dynotune and purchase the standard. If I remember its extra for dyno time.

The following users liked this post:
almost3flips (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
There is also info about him on the first page, as well as a dyno of his work

Old 07-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by g35man04
I Will help you out alittle bit Algy. Steve Kan first off is flown all around the US to tune cars.....he also all over youtube. Secondly he is a major tuner in the MAZDA Area however has been nice enough to want to work with the DFW G35 club on his new tunes. He also teaches tuning classes out of shop if you ever want to visit.

http://www.kantuning.com/forum/searc...d9aa5892a8cbeb

Lastly the tune you purchase from UPREV...Standard license is 3 Maps of E-tunes...which are preloaded tune based on your mods. You purchase the license and they send them to you in a file and you plug up your PC and load it down. Thats not a customized Tune. I believe you should call UPREV and speak to them as well if you want to go down there for a dynotune and purchase the standard. If I remember its extra for dyno time.
Hey thanks for the info =) Yeah i just decided to google Steve Kan and I notice he tunes a lot of rx7 and rx8 right before you posted. Thats awesome that he is flown and well known.

Yeah I had called Uprev before I posted the quote and thats what they quoted me for a custom tune on the dyno with the standard osiris. $575 plus tax for the software Osiris stand., maps included, and 2 hr dyno time.

I am in Waco TX bc I go to Baylor University but live in Dallas. So either way going to Steve is not a problem or Uprev in Austin. I just want to make sure I go to the right guy for my tune. Knowing Steve Kan being new to the G community just kinda makes me scared if you know what I mean. Dont get me wrong please bc I believe he is capable of tuning a G. Just that hes new and he would be pressured to tune 10+ cars in a day would make things kinda nerve racking being new to the game of the vq. I guess I want to be safe than sorry =\

Old 07-19-2011, 06:39 PM
It won't be all in one day. He said said he will take his time with at least two hours per car and I think he daily drives a G and tuned it as well. Rob correct me if I'm wrong on that

Old 07-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Received 136 Likes on 62 Posts
everything chris said is correct. I'm not knocking uprev at all, I was planning on driving down there for a tune (as I had the same mentality as you) until I met Steve at the intake dyno test I did. He offered me so much insight on to what my car was doing while we were changing out intakes. He really knows his stuff, for example.. his tuned his 04 MT G35 coupe with cobb for a top speed exhaust and a k&n filter, and it put down close to what I was making in my 06 5AT G35 with intake, port and polish plenum, spacer, headers, high flow cats, and bassani cat back with osiris e-tune.

The tuner trumps the software almost every time. It's literally just an interface to allow the tuner to modify engine parameters. software is software, yes some can do more and some can do less, but it's still up to the TUNER to configure it correctly for your car. I'm sure uprev has some great tuners on hand but after meeting Steve, I will go to no one else.

also to add to chris' post, Steve is also an instructor in the drivers edge program. He races in SCCA. And even though he races RX7s he is know for tuning just about everything from muscle to import

Old 07-19-2011, 06:42 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by Algy
Hey thanks for the info =) Yeah i just decided to google Steve Kan and I notice he tunes a lot of rx7 and rx8 right before you posted. Thats awesome that he is flown and well known.

Yeah I had called Uprev before I posted the quote and thats what they quoted me for a custom tune on the dyno with the standard osiris. $575 plus tax for the software Osiris stand., maps included, and 2 hr dyno time.

I am in Waco TX bc I go to Baylor University but live in Dallas. So either way going to Steve is not a problem or Uprev in Austin. I just want to make sure I go to the right guy for my tune. Knowing Steve Kan being new to the G community just kinda makes me scared if you know what I mean. Dont get me wrong please bc I believe he is capable of tuning a G. Just that hes new and he would be pressured to tune 10+ cars in a day would make things kinda nerve racking being new to the game of the vq. I guess I want to be safe than sorry =\
understand man. and as phi states below its not all in one day.

Originally Posted by almost3flips
It won't be all in one day. He said said he will take his time with at least two hours per car and I think he daily drives a G and tuned it as well. Rob correct me if I'm wrong on that
he has the COBB accessport on his g35.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Chris are you still gonna go to Austin or jump in with this?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damnitttt just paypal him the money so we can all get our tune! I need it baddd! Lol hopefully it fixes my power issues with my car... Me and another member have same exact mods and im 6speed and hes Automatic and he gets me by a car and half each time. 20 roll... 30... 40... Dig. Phi is trying to help me figure it out. Ive replaced spark plugs and installed brand new k&n drop in.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:45 PM
I wasn't told he would street tune it.. I'm unaware of many tuners that do it this way when they tune customers cars. He does have mustang dyno however which has been proven to give the cars a more accurate resemblance of driving on a street compared to dynojets. No it doesn't make your car look good with pretty numbers, but it's supposed to be better to tune on.

let me reiterate this, Steve is NOT new to tuning VQs... he OWNS at G35 (or at least did 5 months ago) he typically tunes through cobb or stand-alones. He has just not seen the demand for Uprev to purchase the software out-right. I'm sure he has tuned more 350zs and G35s than I know about.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by mikes3kgt
Damnitttt just paypal him the money so we can all get our tune! I need it baddd! Lol hopefully it fixes my power issues with my car... Me and another member have same exact mods and im 6speed and hes Automatic and he gets me by a car and half each time. 20 roll... 30... 40... Dig. Phi is trying to help me figure it out. Ive replaced spark plugs and installed brand new k&n drop in.
did you ever check the compression man?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:47 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Chris are you still gonna go to Austin or jump in with this?
no sir im at T1 Racing Development in Rowlett most likely monday since they are also going to be building me a one piece maf pipe to hook up so I dont have leak issues

Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Oh okay well if its not all in one day that makes things even better. Now what doesnt make things better with me is that he used cobb before... So he would be new to the Uprev software no?

Siiiigh I really appreciate everyone for helping me out with this and giving me insight.

That is impressive from just an intake and exhaust pushing as much as rob with his endless modlist. Plus its an 04 non revup 6mt vs a 06 5at non revup. same engine!

Old 07-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Exactly. of course, my car was untuned at that point, just a crappy e-tune that was put on before headers and intake work. Still, it showed me how a good tune can help your mods come to life.

If you are already stuck on going to Uprev in Austin, then by all means, please do. No need to waste your time here.

him using cobb to tune his personal G35 should not dissuade you what so ever. His G is his daily driver and not something he was trying to mod. his Track car RX7 is pushing around 600 hp if I remember correctly, and he has tuned many other high horsepower cars with various softwares.

He knows how engines work, Period. The best kind of tuner will be knowledgeable in more than one platform, and Steve tunes everything, which makes it even better for us. He truly knows how engines work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DFW G Club Tuning Interest Thread