Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Video.. My G vs GT mustang.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
What it boils down to, is for 'typical' cars, the MT is faster. When you get to the extreme end of drag racing, AT is faster.
Are you stating that for something like a built turbo 400 equipped muscle car is going to be at a disadvantage to a muscle car with a 4 speed?

Old 05-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Jeff, I think you are missing the point, go to the other extreme end and compare an MT and AT base model 100hp civic. The MT will be WAY faster because it can launch at a higher rpm and stay in its power band for longer. Really what is comes down to is that for lower hp cars(<400hp) MT>AT because the launch/power delivery to the ground difference plays a larger role, but when power levels become excessive, the differences in transmissions become less important because excess power is being made, and delivery and consistency become the important factors.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Okay so if we just assume for the sake of argument, the ratios inside the auto = manual. And it's just the final drive. Well that's not a short coming of the auto, it's just how Infinti decided to option the auto tragic car.

More power is not really the way you want to describe it. Put both engines on an engine dyno and measure it. I think you want to say the manual has less driveline loss. But once the auto locks, there should be no more losses vs the manual.
ok.... the sad part is, that is not the case with our cars
Faster shifting? You sure you can shift faster than auto? I can stomp on the gas and manu-shift with my foot WOT. No clutch pedal push, not gear shift action and no lifting up on the clutch pedal.
Yes me personally observing how long it takes for an average automatic to actually excecute the shift from one gear to another, i can tell u that i can shift my car faster than that. For experienced driver that is not an issue rather than second nature. I have seen some people that will kill my shifting time compared to theirs.
I think you will find that an automatic tranny shifts much faster than a human. And that's the torque convertor types. The twin clutch DSG types are probably 2x faster than that.
DSG is worlds fastest tranny, i will say no human will touch the shift time of golf GTI dsg eventhough there is still lag by the time u press that paddleshifter and the time it actually starts the shifting process. I have driven that car many times and it has an amazing tranny.

Here are some times from wiki.

A long shift time is considered anything over 625 ms[1]
The average manual car driver: 500 ms - 1 s[citation needed]
Aston Martin Vanquish: 250 ms[2]
Ferrari 575M: 220 ms
BMW M3 E36 with SMG I: 220 ms[2]
Audi TT Quattro 3.2 (Direct Shift): 200 ms[3]
Ferrari 360: 150 ms[2]
Enzo Ferrari: 150 ms[2]
Ferrari FXX: Under 100 ms[4]
BMW M3 E46 with SMG II: 80 ms[2]
Ferrari F430 Scuderia: 60 ms[2]
Volkswagen Golf GTI (Direct Shift): 8 ms[2]
Bugatti Veyron (Direct Shift): 8 ms[2]

Old 05-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by redlude97
Jeff, I think you are missing the point, go to the other extreme end and compare an MT and AT base model 100hp civic. The MT will be WAY faster because it can launch at a higher rpm and stay in its power band for longer. Really what is comes down to is that for lower hp cars(<400hp) MT>AT because the launch/power delivery to the ground difference plays a larger role, but when power levels become excessive, the differences in transmissions become less important because excess power is being made, and delivery and consistency become the important factors.
I think the auto is hampered by nannies not inherent in the auto itself. You could install a higher stall TC and launch at any desired rpm you want.

If you want to introduce other cars into this then fine. What about brake boosting an auto on the line vs a manual turbo? Can a manual equipped turbo car develope boost BEFORE they launch?

Autos can put power down fine.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by Klubbheads
ok.... the sad part is, that is not the case with our cars

Yes me personally observing how long it takes for an average automatic to actually excecute the shift from one gear to another, i can tell u that i can shift my car faster than that. For experienced driver that is not an issue rather than second nature. I have seen some people that will kill my shifting time compared to theirs.

DSG is worlds fastest tranny, i will say no human will touch the shift time of golf GTI dsg eventhough there is still lag by the time u press that paddleshifter and the time it actually starts the shifting process. I have driven that car many times and it has an amazing tranny.

Here are some times from wiki.

A long shift time is considered anything over 625 ms[1]
The average manual car driver: 500 ms - 1 s[citation needed]
Aston Martin Vanquish: 250 ms[2]
Ferrari 575M: 220 ms
BMW M3 E36 with SMG I: 220 ms[2]
Audi TT Quattro 3.2 (Direct Shift): 200 ms[3]
Ferrari 360: 150 ms[2]
Enzo Ferrari: 150 ms[2]
Ferrari FXX: Under 100 ms[4]
BMW M3 E46 with SMG II: 80 ms[2]
Ferrari F430 Scuderia: 60 ms[2]
Volkswagen Golf GTI (Direct Shift): 8 ms[2]
Bugatti Veyron (Direct Shift): 8 ms[2]

So you think you can cut the ave shift time in 1/2 to even match the longest auto shift time?

Old 05-06-2008, 01:59 PM
those are not automatics that i listed, they are one of the best automagic, SMG and DSG trannies which G35 does not come close to.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:04 PM
I think the auto is hampered by nannies not inherent in the auto itself. You could install a higher stall TC and launch at any desired rpm you want.

If you want to introduce other cars into this then fine. What about brake boosting an auto on the line vs a manual turbo? Can a manual equipped turbo car develope boost BEFORE they launch?

Autos can put power down fine.
Lets stop looking at individual situations where the auto might have better. On average across all brands for cars making less than 400hp, the manual trannies are going to be faster than the automatics. Would you agree with that statement?

Old 05-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Red Card Crew

those are not automatics that i listed, they are one of the best automagic, SMG and DSG trannies which G35 does not come close to.
Actually SMG is an manual with it's hydraulic clutch operated for you.

Does that link have torque convertor type auto shift times also?

Old 05-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Red Card Crew

Lets stop looking at individual situations where the auto might have better. On average across all brands for cars making less than 400hp, the manual trannies are going to be faster than the automatics. Would you agree with that statement?
Sorry Hai, you put the civic example there. This is why I asked about two muscle cars at 400-500hp. Identical except for the tranny. I asked which one would have the better time. Let's say an ave of 15 runs.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Sorry Hai, you put the civic example there. This is why I asked about two muscle cars at 400-500hp. Identical except for the tranny. I asked which one would have the better time. Let's say an ave of 15 runs.
At 4-500hp, the auto might be faster. There are plenty of cases where the opposite is true, my cousin's prelude would put car lengths on my auto, with exact same engines and ~weight. Like I said, as the hp numbers increase, the advantages of the manual to automatic become smaller

Old 05-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Red Card Crew

At 4-500hp, the auto might be faster. There are plenty of cases where the opposite is true, my cousin's prelude would put car lengths on my auto, with exact same engines and ~weight. Like I said, as the hp numbers increase, the advantages of the manual to automatic become smaller
I'm not saying either way is true/untrue. What I'm looking for is a good technical reason.

Were the two Hondas geared exactly the same? Older autos typically only had 3 non OD speeds + reverse. VS 4 non OD speeds for their manual. So if you had poor gearing + wider gear spacing, that's going to equal poor acceration. Especially on a torque poor honda. Something that a G35 isn't really lacking.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Actually SMG is an manual with it's hydraulic clutch operated for you.
Who said it isn't?
Does that link have torque convertor type auto shift times also?
No but it has all the automagic numbers instead of the autotragic which u will find on most of the cars.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Red Card Crew

Who said it isn't?

No but it has all the automagic numbers instead of the autotragic which u will find on most of the cars.
Most cars? I think most automatics have TCs still. Mercedes is a good example. Also Toyota still uses a TC abeit with 7 speeds

Old 05-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Aston Martin Vanquish:
The electrohydraulic gearshift is basically the same Magneti Marelli system used in the Ferrari 360 Modena F1 -- two pedals only,

Ferrari 575: SMG tranny

Notice non of them are autotragic?

Old 05-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Video.. My G vs GT mustang.