Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

New PB 13.147 G35 5AT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Jealous much. 9 out of 10 G owners happily trade their cars for a 335i. Completely different level of a car. Not to take at all what Dsskyline has gotten out of his car, but price for price when new, Dsskyline has probably over $6000 in parts/labor to get his car to run 13.1s. It takes a $500 inline boost increaser to get a 335 into the 12s and deep 12s on a quick track. Yeah, the N54s have fuel pump issues, but that recall has been issued. The N55 single turbo 335 is proving to be even better.
The N54 and N55 is a break room, coffee break, brain fart by BMW. Jealous over what exactly? That I don't get to spend $50,000 on a car I CAN NOT keep for more than 3 years because it will end up costing in maintenance what it cost to buy the car? (that's what former BMW owners say when they join here) Or spend $50k on a 335i that runs 13.5 sec stock when I can get a 370z to run low 12s with 4-5 boltons and is better equipped, almost 300 pounds lighter, $15k cheaper and infinitely more reliable? That I don't get to spend $300 per injector when they go out which they do? $30 for one spark plug that go out? $700 for a fuel pump which goes out repeatedly? $500 for plastic impeller water pump? Leaking wastegates? A 335i that doesn't start with a drained battery because I started and shut off the car too many times in a short period? I start and shut off my G every 20-30 feet at least 15 times over a 4 hour period 5 DAYS/WEEK. Try doing that with a BMW. At least I can go WOT a dozen times a day in my G and beat a 335 on the street and it doesn't cost me a gazillion bablilion monopoly money dollars to maintain or get me stranded.

and 9 out of 10 will regret their decision when all the problems I listed come up out of warranty, just like Klubbheads regretted his.

9 out of 10 G owners are like horses wearing blinders that's why they will never make the progress SGM made naturally aspired. Probably why Nismo left Infiniti.

BTW, that 335 in the video on big ghetto fabulous rims bogged the hell off the line, but still ended up trapping 106mph which matched the lighter and much more modified flatulent Z. Remove the ghetto rims and launch the thing right and it's going a lot quicker and faster.
You're right. It would of ran a 13.5 like Car&Driver did.

Last edited by Andrei; 12-11-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrei
The N54 and N55 is a break room, coffee break, brain fart by BMW. Jealous over what exactly? That I don't get to spend $50,000 on a car I CAN NOT keep for more than 3 years because it will end up costing in maintenance what it cost to buy the car? (that's what former BMW owners say when they join here) Or spend $50k on a 335i that runs 13.5 sec stock when I can get a 370z to run low 12s with 4-5 boltons and is better equipped, almost 300 pounds lighter, $15k cheaper and infinitely more reliable? That I don't get to spend $300 per injector when they go out which they do? $30 for one spark plug that go out? $700 for a fuel pump which goes out repeatedly? $500 for plastic impeller water pump? Leaking wastegates? A 335i that doesn't start with a drained battery because I started and shut off the car too many times in a short period? I start and shut off my G every 20-30 feet at least 15 times over a 4 hour period 5 DAYS/WEEK. Try doing that with a BMW. At least I can go WOT a dozen times a day in my G and beat a 335 on the street and it doesn't cost me a gazillion bablilion monopoly money dollars to maintain or get me stranded.

and 9 out of 10 will regret their decision when all the problems I listed come up out of warranty, just like Klubbheads regretted his.

9 out of 10 G owners are like horses wearing blinders that's why they will never make the progress SGM made naturally aspired. Probably why Nismo left Infiniti.

You're right. It would of ran a 13.5 like Car&Driver did.
The only real flaw to the N54 motor was the fuel pump. Everything else you're pointing out is not a common failure. I personally know two local BMW techs and they will tell me the staight up truth about the cars they work on. They aren't BMW fanboys and neither of them own BMWs. They're still weary of the N54 fuel pumps even though they've been redesigned. Their recommendation is to avoid a used N54 until the new fuel pump proves to work for the long term. According to them, the fuel pump issue afflicts about 10% of the 335s on the road. Everything else about the 3 series is pretty dang reliable and easy to replace hence the reason the 3 series has high overall long term dependability rating per Consumer Reports and JD Power.

You keep quoting mag numbers for the 335, but then use private owner numbers for your Z and G claims. Silly. You know as well as I that there have been a significant number of stock 335s going deep deep 13s and some stock ones 12s on DRs. It's called power to weight. You're not this dumb to know that a car with a fatter powerband is going to be the faster car. Add a flash to the 335 and it's going much quicker just like most any other turbo car. Bolt on to bolt on, a VQ motor doesn't stand a chance against BMW's N54/N55 motors. For every low 12 second NA Z out there, there will be a handful of 335s running 11s. The G and Z can't match the overall package of the 3 series, especially the 335. It's just not about the straightline acceleration, so get that out of your head. There are so many qualities that the 3 series has that the G/Z will never have. Most everything is a notch or two better. I'd love to have a new G37 or 370Z, but I'd prefer to have a 335 if given the choice. The German's get styling and the Japanese/Americans drop the ball in many portions of that department. Most everything on a German car is studied hard before making it's way on to the car. There's a lot of restraint and "that'll do" when it comes to Japanese/American cars.

Like you, I love my G35 to death and have a hard time seeing myself getting rid of it, but I'm not so stupid to know that there are better cars out there in the same class.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Most everything on a German car is studied hard before making it's way on to the car. There's a lot of restraint and "that'll do" when it comes to Japanese/American cars.

Like you, I love my G35 to death and have a hard time seeing myself getting rid of it, but I'm not so stupid to know that there are better cars out there in the same class.
Is that so? I already quoted e90post.com members on another thread here where all those problems come up. Of course, I don't expect you to know that because you haven't dissected that car and forum like I have, just like 8 out of 9 G/Z owners. Why do you think so many heavily modded ones are for sale after 50k miles if it's that good? I suppose it's also the reason no shop, even AMS, has very little interest in that car.
I suppose that plastic water pump impeller was very studied and carefully considered before making it's way on the N54/N55. I suppose the reason why that motor runs out of breath after 5k RPM is also another studied and carefully considered feature of a $50k car.
You keep quoting mag numbers for the 335, but then use private owner numbers for your Z and G claims. Silly. You know as well as I that there have been a significant number of stock 335s going deep deep 13s and some stock ones 12s on DRs. It's called power to weight. You're not this dumb to know that a car with a fatter powerband is going to be the faster car. Add a flash to the 335 and it's going much quicker just like most any other turbo car. Bolt on to bolt on, a VQ motor doesn't stand a chance against BMW's N54/N55 motors. For every low 12 second NA Z out there, there will be a handful of 335s running 11s. The G and Z can't match the overall package of the 3 series, especially the 335. It's just not about the straightline acceleration, so get that out of your head. There are so many qualities that the 3 series has that the G/Z will never have. Most everything is a notch or two better. I'd love to have a new G37 or 370Z, but I'd prefer to have a 335 if given the choice. The German's get styling and the Japanese/Americans drop the ball in many portions of that department. Most everything on a German car is studied hard before making it's way on to the car. There's a lot of restraint and "that'll do" when it comes to Japanese/American cars.
The idea is to take a $32k-$34k naturally aspired G or Z, add a few boltons and match the $50,000 stock turbo 335i in performance while still costing less overall and being more reliable which has been done many times over. AND it is more than FAIR to compared the stock time of a professional mag driver with a $50,000 turbo car, with the time of a 32k-34k naturally aspired car with a few boltons.

IF YOU THINK THAT ISN'T FAIR, which I'm willing to bet you think it isn't, I can take a VQ35HR/VQ37VHR 07+ (same year the 335i debuted) G35/G37 sedan, or 07+ 350z/370z, or 08+ G37 coupe which costs about 35k, add a turbo kit installed for $11,000 and have 500whp+ safely and beat a flashed/modded/whatever $50,000 335i that costs about 70k with mods, is less reliable with a much higher maintenance cost and higher curb weight in most cases. If you doubt that, buy one and see if it's worth $50k + $20k in mods. That's GTR money and the GTR ran 9 seconds in less than 2 years after coming out. Not to mention it came out after the 335i. I haven't seen that $70 M3 run 9s or 10s neither.

It's funny me that even if that car is already turbo they are still talking about a $11k aftermarket turbo kit WHICH kind of ruins the point of a $50,000 car being already turbo.

Last edited by Andrei; 12-26-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:35 AM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Thanks for turning my PB thread into a Bimmer thread.

I like the fact of keeping up with a 335i N/A though.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dsskyline
Thanks for turning my PB thread into a Bimmer thread.

I like the fact of keeping up with a 335i N/A though.
With your PB you're doing more than keep up! I've seen plenty of 335 struggle to get out of the high 13s, one of slowest being a 14.2@101 (his worst of the night was a 15.5) with great air... Guy just couldn't get it off the line. That's the problem with a 40-50k car and no standard LSD.

A well driven example will run low to mid 13s, but you're right there. I'd say that's pretty sweet.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:24 PM
I've raced this guy before when I was turbo in cali. He beat me by 2-3 cars fully modded 335i.

I raced him also in a stock 335i sedan and it was no contest I beat him by 4-5 cars when modded 335is move.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Hell yeah they do. Here's one that I race with just an intake, tune, race gas and slicks. 8.04 in the 1/8th at a slippery track.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great times, can't wait to hit the track but I am pretty sure my wheel/tire combo won't help at all.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by t6378tp
great times, can't wait to hit the track but I am pretty sure my wheel/tire combo won't help at all.
practice will though

Old 01-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by t6378tp
You still planning on turboing the G?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Dsskyline
I've raced this guy before when I was turbo in cali. He beat me by 2-3 cars fully modded 335i.

I raced him also in a stock 335i sedan and it was no contest I beat him by 4-5 cars when modded 335is move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHqG_w6wg8g
Is homie too cheap azz because he spent all his money on the BMW he has to have someone "ghetto cryo spray" his front mount every race? He's too cheap to buy an NX / NOS / etc cryo kit?

Im sorry but on the street you aint gonna have a dude with a fire extinguisher to spray your joint every fkn race.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by ajcool2
You still planning on turboing the G?
I have all the parts minus a oil pump to build the setup but since I sold the maxima this is my DD and can't afford the down time. I offered to build a turbo setup for a local guy if he let me hold his car for a few days but he is down to one car too

So the project is on hold till I buy another car

Old 01-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by NNOCENT
Is homie too cheap azz because he spent all his money on the BMW he has to have someone "ghetto cryo spray" his front mount every race? He's too cheap to buy an NX / NOS / etc cryo kit?

Im sorry but on the street you aint gonna have a dude with a fire extinguisher to spray your joint every fkn race.

Those guys out there race for no less than $500 a race. The guy spraying is part of his crew.

I raced him when I was turbo with over 400hp/tq he told me had stg 1 tune. He hustled me because he actually had a stg 3 tune and beat me by 2 cars. Luckily for me it was a low dollar race $50.

I want to go turbo again after hearing you guys take off on sunday.

Here is a old video built VRT engine with a custom GT35R turbo kit. I miss the sound of it.

If I go FI again it will be done right this time so nitrous will have to do for now.

The FX belongs to Rookie before he went widebody.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
ssqv bov ?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by NNOCENT
ssqv bov ?
Tial 50mm

Here is a longer video I have on streetfire non edited so it's kind of long with other cars at the end enjoy.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/eternal-motorsports-gt35r-turbo-kit-for-a-5at-g35_85833.htmhttp://www.streetfire.net/video/eternal-motorsports-gt35r-turbo-kit-for-a-5at-g35_85833.htm

Last edited by Dsskyline; 01-27-2011 at 11:08 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New PB 13.147 G35 5AT