Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Building a drift/road race car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building a drift/road race car

I picked up a cheap g35 coupe the other day. This will be a purpose built car. I have thought about gutting the car and only putting back into it what I need. Has anyone done this? These cars have so many electronics that I am not sure how much I should take out. Any info would be great.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Do you drift or have you drifted before? Car setup is all personal preference. What exactly are you trying to "build"?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 PM
No, I have never drifted before. I joined a local drift club website and plan to go watch some of the events while I build my car. I am trying to build a drift car first then possibly make it capable of competing in some road course events.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
The best advise I can give you is just drive. Take your car out there as is. It will do fine. Just worry about your driving then build suspension before power.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
And drift cars are a totally different setup than road race... So pick one or the other if you plan on going in all the way.

As fat as Hutton.g the car. You can get rid of anything non electrical, then move all electronics to a central location, like where pass seat used to be. To even out weight and keep it low. As you are moving things look up part numbers and find out what they all do. So then you can make educated guesses on what is needed and not.

And like mentioned before. Go out and drive the car, see what its strengths and weaknesses are with you behind the wheel and upgrade from there... When you find things that need improving then come on here and specify the problem, I'm sure this group of guys here will know how to fix it for you.

And good luck have fun and keep the wheels on the ground

Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Thanks guys. I am really not sure what is so different between a road race and drift setup are besides suspension and rear diff. If I end up with coilovers I should be able to adjust the suspension for both minus the sway bars then swap in an lsd instead of the welded diff. Just wondering what other things are really that different.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
Do we need to worry about our axles at all? I heard the easiest way to break a front axle is drifting and donuts.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Premier Member

Received 418 Likes on 336 Posts
Originally Posted by anynigma
Do we need to worry about our axles at all? I heard the easiest way to break a front axle is drifting and donuts.
nope.

Get a set of good coilovers, adjustable camber arms (recommend SPL not the cheaper ones) and a real LSD and go practice.

Some bolt ons would help with power, at a minimum a plenum spacer and uprev ecu flash, you'll need the throttle sync'd if you're going to drift successfully

Also pull the VDC fuse when you're at the track, even with it turned off it will still kick in (unless you disable the yaw sensor, and thats a PITA)

The following users liked this post:
Wylie42 (12-06-2021)
Old 04-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Premier Member

Received 418 Likes on 336 Posts
Originally Posted by anynigma
I'm pushing almost 600 ft/lbs and haven't broke one yet. Done a lot of sliding

The following users liked this post:
kylesideways (08-12-2013)
Old 04-05-2012, 02:39 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
With road racing you'd do the following

Clutch type diff

GOOD suspension (SPL A arms, rear camber arms, possibly mid links) DA or 3 way shocks (moton, true choice, JRZ) race spring to match how the shocks are built (eibach/swift)

Good brakes (you can go with good pads and fluid or get a REAL BBK)

A wing (apr gtc300) and front areo

Race seat

Cage

Have someone fine tune and corner balance everything.

Good tires (NT01, RS3, star spec, R888, RA1, Hoosier)

Now don't take this to offense (because someone will)

You can't buy hawk HPS pads with stance or BC coilovers and something like hankook v12 or nitto invo, drop your car 2 inches and not even get aligned and call your car a track beast.

Take what I just said how you'd like to.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
there's a drift club?
I'd like to learn. haha.
Well first I'll need to learn how to drive stick first.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
You really need to decide what you will use the veh for. You can get out there and road race for fun. as far as anything serious... probably not on a drift setup. The car is setup to slide, not grip. I've been drifting since 2010ish, I've built a car, and now I'm building a real car. Coilovers are a big thing. The setup will not be the same. Hit me up if you want some more info. I have a build thread on here as well.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't know how serious I will get into drifting or road racing. I bought this car so I wouldn't mind beating it up. I had always thought drifting looked like fun. I am going to get it ready enough to drift and try it out and see if I like it enough to spend the money. I'll check out your thread.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, any updates on your "drift car"?? Just curious because I take mine out to drifting local events...

Old 11-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
go hit it sideways as is and then start from there, LSD, coils, endlinks, bushings, tie rods, camber arms, swaybars

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Building a drift/road race car