Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch pedal sticking and burning complaints come here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even with the DOT 4 fluid...my clutch occasionally stuck to the floor. I took it to Infiniti and they replaced the slave cylinder. So far, so good...

Old 02-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has made a huge difference on my clutch. My clutch fluid was brownish and a little murky so it seems the slightest degradation can have a huge impact on the feel of your clutch. With the new fluid my clutch is much quicker in engaging and is much more springy. Thanks so much for this.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:49 PM
This was a good thread, I was experiencing similar problems and nearly went out and bought a new clutch. I have replaced my caramel colored clutch fluid with prestone dot4 as ranger described and my clutch isnt slipping on hard launches now.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
i have taken my g back to the dealer 4 times now

well... i just got my g back for the 4th time for the same thing.. the clutch pedal sticking, which causes the clutch to burn...

i first took my car back in 06 when it had about 9k miles.. the dealer said it was the clutch pedal assembly...they replaced the pedal and told me my clutch wasn't warrantied...

the second time i took it in at about 30k miles they told me it was the clutch pedal assembly again.. they replaced the pedal and told me the clutch wasn't warrantied..i was pretty pissed so i called consumer affairs to tell them what had happened..

the 3rd time about 37k miles i actually was bringing my g to get the oil changed.. when the service guy brought it to me to take it home he was the one that noticed that the clutch was sticking... i showed the manager and he told me that they have had about 3g's doing the same thing and that it was something about the mainshaft rubbing in the tranny... THEY WARRANTIED A BRAND NEW TRANSMISSION AND CLUTCH PLATE...

the fourth time , about 45k they told me it was the clutch pedal assembly...

WTF...

i drive my car pretty mellow.. the only time i get on it is when i'm gettin on the freeway on ramps and up in the hills by my house... i have owned over 10 stickshift cars and motorcycles... somethings wrong with mine...?????!!!!!

Alf

Old 08-03-2008, 09:32 PM
I have the similar problem with you guys... except when i pump the clutch the fuild falls to the floor with every pump.... drip drip drip

Old 08-26-2008, 01:15 PM
ok so i have had the SAME sticky clutch/free travel zone problem too
first i bled and flushed the system myself with syn fluid... did not work
so... i took it to infiniti 1st time: they "adjusted the clutch" (which really all they did was raise the height of the engagement point which i could easily do myself, and to tell you the truth just makes the clutch HARDER to use i have to shift like a gorilla almost knee-ing myself in the face bc of how high i have to let out the pedal). THIS DID NOT CORRECT THE PROBLEM
2nd time: they bled the fluid THIS DID NOT CORRECT THE PROBLEM
3rd time: they replaced the slave AND master cylindars AND flushed and bled the fluid AGAIN. THIS DID NOT CORRECT THE PROBLEM
4th time: i just brought my car to infiniti today and suggested that it might be the pressure plate, fluid line or throwout bearing (i saw others problem corrected by replacement of these parts)... i will see what happens in a few days and get back to you all, hopefully my patience and determination will eventually pay off and i will once again have a non-stick clutch!
if anyone else has any other input or solutions to this problem PLEASE SHARE!!!

Old 09-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my clutch sometimes sticks and i am about to take it in for a service and to have them look at it... and i just found this thread and went out and checked my fluid.... it's very very dark

soooo im gonna see what they say and if they replace the clutch fluid (im kinda hoping for new master/slave cylinders)

if they dont replace the fluid, then ill just do it myself

Old 09-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Ive had this problem all summer since i bought this car,especially in the heat.Mainly only did it when the car got up to operating temps and it was over 80 out.
I was contemplating on replacing the slave cylinder and adding a stainless line,however i just drained all the fluid and replaced with new fluid.Seems to have cleared up the problem and the clutch pedal feels a little more responsive now.
Seems to have been holding up fine the past few weeks.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by combatcraig
I noticed it most when the car was new. Now I only get that smell after doing a big honking burnout (rev the car up to about 5 grand and dump the clutch). Screw it, its worth it. When it wears out, I'll change it, no biggie. Just drive the damn thing and quit worrying about the small stuff.
So thats normal?
I have noticed... if I rev my engine over 5k rpm at a stand still and engage the clutch and take off.... the clutch gets stuck to the floor and I smell the burnt clutch for 3-4 hrs after that.
The clutch getting stuck and smell only happens when I do the above.... is that normal?

Old 09-30-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
^ This link answers my question in the "Other Clutch Issues" section...
http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html
I think, I am doing the launch on a way tooo high rpm.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:14 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Anyone have picture of this drill out?

My clutch pedal makes a thumping noise when I release it quickly. Any ideas?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Hello...

I've been having a nightmare with this issue.. it gets worse the longer you drive around. I have tried the following:

1) Bled and replaced clutch fluid

2) Took it to the dealer and had slave AND master cylinder replaced

3) checked the pedal assembly/bushing, but dealer had cleaned and lubricated entire assembly already.

What is left or me to do???

My pedal travels nicely for a couple of inches from the floor, then reaches the "sticky" zone, and then finally pops up completely at the top.

While the pedal is returning through the sticky zone, I can hear what sounds like fluid being sucked through a restrictive spot. Could my clutch line be clogged? Could it have anything to do with this brass orifice mentioned here? I don't see evidence of any leaks anywhere...

Please help!!

Old 12-29-2010, 03:32 PM
No Help From Infiniti/Nissan with Sticking Clutch Pedal - WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

My clutch pedal had been sticking at random times for over a year. The problem was so sporadic and the dealership was 30 minutes away so the sticking pedal problem would stop sticking by the time I could take it in and show them the problem.

About a month or two ago, I took it to Grubbs Infiniti in Euless, Texas, for the airbag recall and mentioned the sticking clutch pedal to them. Of course, they were unable to replicate the problem so they were not able to fix it and sent me on my way.

On December 9, 2010, I took it in again because I could smell that awful burning clutch smell. The dealer wanted me to pay $1,450.00 for the repairs. I have an extended warranty on the vehicle but normal wear and tear is not covered. That is understandable but it still was not good enough for me. I knew that the sticking clutch pedal was causing wear and tear that was BEYOND normal on my car – especially since it had been doing it for over a year.

By accident, I stumbled across this forum and MULTIPLE other forums of people have the EXACT same issue with their G35’s. I also found MULTIPLE forums of Nissan 350 owners with the EXACT same problem – after all it is essentially the same car. I was shocked and appalled that this has not become a recall issue when it is a matter of consumer safety. I think that this issue is bigger than any of us or Infiniti/Nissan realizes. This is a widespread problem they are avoiding.

Even more shocking and appalling is the lack of concern for my safety that I received from both Grubbs Infiniti and Infiniti Consumer Affairs. Their complete unwillingness to make the needed repairs and cover all or part of the costs and STOP putting my life in jeopardy every time I drive the vehicle is asinine.

Infiniti/Nissan’s defective sticking clutch pedal IS A MAJOR SAFETY CONCERN and does cause premature wear on other clutch parts. Therefore, Infiniti/Nissan should:

• Issue a recall on this sticking pedal IMMEDIATELY. People’s lives are at risk! This is no different than the sticking accelerator problem that Toyota had but they want to sweep it under the rug. DOES SOMEONE HAVE TO DIE BEFORE THEY WILL WAKE UP?
• If they aren’t going to recall the sticking clutch pedal, then they need to cover the repairs to fix the sticking clutch pedal and any repairs from the unnecessary wear that the sticking clutch pedal caused.

If you have tried to work with the dealership or Infiniti/Nissan to get them to do just those very things and your attempts failed, here is what I suggest you do, as suggested to me by a consumer attorney:

• File a complaint, in writing, over the phone or online with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) by going to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
• File a complaint with the Attorney General – Consumer Protection Division in your area. You can find a list by state by going here: http://www.naag.org/current-attorneys-general.php
• Write your congressman or congress-woman. You can find yours by going to https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml. The last thing Infiniti/Nissan wants is a criminal investigation (much like Toyota’s) into the company's safety problems and lack of concern for their customers.
• Contact a public defender at your local news station. Almost all of us have them now. You may not get a call back or response from this but I am willing to bet that if we all do this, one of them will step up the plate and broadcast this problem. And if you know how the news works, when one reports it, they ALL report it. News broadcasts will bring more people forward with the same problem and will provide us Infiniti/Nissan owners with some strength in numbers.

Having lived this, I hope that my tips and pointers help.

In addition, if any of you are in Texas and would like to become part of a group lawsuit against Infiniti/Nissan to offset some of the attorney fees, please email me at dalanamorse@gmail.com

United we stand… Let’s come together and MAKE Infiniti/Nissan do the right thing since they obviously aren’t going to do it on their own.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
every nissan ive had has had this issue, i had my master/slave cylinder replaced many times in each vehicle and the problem always came back, good luck getting nissan to do anything about it

Old 12-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I recently discovered that several other Nissan models are having the same problem. It's pretty sickening that they won't step up! If people start complaining to the right places though, Infiniti/Nissan might not have any other choice but to do something about it. Complaining about the problem on forums is obviously not doing any good - and there are SOOO many forums out there on this. Why not try to complain to the people that have some authority in this? There is nothing to lose at this point but a litte time and effort and everything to gain.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal sticking and burning complaints come here