Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: transmission cooler

Allrighty!!

MeanGene, I think we can pretty safely call ourselves Pioneers in this field. When are you getting yours installed. Actually I just made my appointment, mine will be in the car Sunday!!! Dam this is gonna be fun!

However, I was concerned about partial throttle response. Maybe I am not understanding the stall speed concept correctly. If you are just granny-driving your G to the market or smth and hardly exceed 3000rpm, with your stall speed being at 3000, isn't that tranny going to be constantly slipping a lttle? Pleale explain this to me.

I was also told the MPG will actually improve with this setup.

Gurgen

Old 11-05-2003, 04:47 PM
Yes!

Gurgen - Yep, the tranny will be constantly slipping until the T/C locks up. This slippage is what generates the extra heat that warrants a cooler. Think of the T/C as a manual clutch. By feathering the clutch we allow the engine to rev into it's powerband before fully releasing ( & thus engaging ) the clutch. The T/C does basically the same thing on an auto-tranny. That way it allows the engine to hit it's powerband quicker than a stock convertor ( I think ours run around a stock stall speed of 1800 rpms ).
I've run T/C's for years & have NEVER experienced an increase in economy. My GS400 lost a little over 1 mpg of highway economy even though the Precision Industries "Dragon" T/C is a lock-up variety. The same slippage that yields the better launches is where the mpg penalty occurs. Again, like a manual clutch, U're not fully putting the available power to the ground.
My T/C is due back Tuesday from Level 10 so U'll beat me to the install. Let me know if U run across any potential problems, OK? I'm not concerned about the T/C working but more so about the valve body recalibration. That's more involved, IMO. I SHOULD be back on the streets by next weekend IF all goes well. I'll post results then.

Old 11-05-2003, 05:02 PM
Re: Yes!

Meangene

Please check out my post in the coupe forum of 6MT vs 5AT war. I got two long ones. Let me knwo what you think.Is everyhting accurate?

I was actually told by EdgeRacing that thestock STR is 2000 or so (they saw this after they opened it
up).
THe slipping... Is this going to manifest itself ina mushy kind of ride in granny mode? I was told not.. as in granny mode you are not loading the TC very much.... Basically, in normal driving will the feel of the car change?

gurgen

Old 05-17-2005, 03:56 AM
EK,

Can you repost the pics of the tranny cooler ?

Thx

Old 05-17-2005, 09:14 AM
Here are my thoughts on my TC...I sent my TC off to Edge Racing and they did an awesome job. They worked on my TC very promptly and got my TC back fairly quickly. My stall speed now is at about 2400rpm...this thing is awesome...I'm gettin really firm shifts now and off the line I need to practice cause I can spin through first easily...btw I do have a Vortech which doesn't help with the tires spinning whatsoever lol...but if im doin a 20mph roll and floor it...I can scratch 1st and 2nd easily...as for driveability...in chill mode, I noticed that it really does take a lil more throttle to get it moving, kinda weird at first, kinda like my tranny might be slipping a lil but then again it all could be just in my head...but I'm getting used to it...I've driven through traffic and whatnot and it honestly seems the same once you get used to it, you really don't lose any drivability. I love it, prolly the most cost effective mod for any 5AT...highly recommended.

I'm in the market for a tranny cooler also, considering heat is the #1 killer for automatic transmissions...heat breaks down the fluid and makes it lose viscosity and then shortly after you might melt or warp your clutch bands which in turn causes failure and slippage...I was told to get the biggest tranny cooler you can fit, doesn't matter how big as long as it fits...the coolers are rated by GVW which is Gross Vehicle Weight...and for high-performance applications I was told that the cooler rate should be at least triple my curb weight, but the more the better...not sure if this is true but I would think a $50 tranny cooler to extend my tranny life is not a bad investment.

btw, my total cost for the TC was about $425 including shipping there and back. Labor I can't really say because my motor was already pulled apart when I decided to do this, I just noticed my stock converter was already out of my car so I said f*ck it, and did it lol

Last edited by Nismoboy; 05-17-2005 at 09:34 AM.