Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch Pedal 'sticking' - Throw-Out Bearing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Pedal 'sticking' - Throw-Out Bearing?

So after searching the forum for a couple of hours, this is the closest thread I could find to describe my current issue:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...tch+pedal+feel

A while ago I noticed that my clutch made a "squeek" kinda noise during the last inch or so of pressing the clutch to the floor. Same noise in the same place upon releasing the clutch pedal.

The last couple of days now, I notice that the feel of the clutch pedal is "not right". It feels "rough", "sticky", "catchy" etc. (don't know how best to describe it) through the middle 2 or 3 inches of travel, in our out. Like your stepping on something "crunchy" just in the middle of the press to the floor, or release from the floor.

The car is shifting fine, it doesn't seem to be affecting the drive-ability. But I am concerned about this as it is something new, something that's changed.

I did notice today that as I drove to work and the car warmed up, the feeling was less noticable than when cold.

When I first heard the "squeek" I thought maybe it was something with the clutch pedal itself, something that could be fixed with some WD-40 sprayed on a pivot point etc. Now I am concerned that it may be "internal" to the clutch and/or tranny.

My car is an 04 6MT Coupe, I've got like 38K or so on what I assume is the original clutch (I bought the car used from the original owner, back in April).

Anyone experience this? Could it be a throw-out bearing issue?

TIA

Old 12-18-2006, 10:28 PM
My first guess is a leaking "clutch assist" cylinder (being P.C. here because slave cylinder is sooo 1865 ) and/or a master cylinder. As for the squeeking it's probably just clutch dust on the throwout bearing pivot fork, gotta pull the tranny for that.

Just look at the fluid level in the tiny reservoir next to the brake master cylinder.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Angry broken clutch fork??

had to have my 04 6MT coupe towed to Clear Lake Infiniti Thursday to have the tranny dropped to replace the clutch fork. It's got 44K miles, and Wednesday night the clutch pedal hit the floor and stayed there!! I've never seen that before... dealer says the pivot fork must have broke. The fluid reservoir was dry, but filling it didn't fix the problem... something broke in the clutch assembly to make the pedal hitthe deck and stay there.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:32 PM
The MT on these cars is definitely the weak link. I used to be a dedicated shift guy, but the autos these days are so good, I couldn't help but bail out of that gig in cars. I still get my fix on 2 wheels though.