Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

3.7 FD w/ Open Differential

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
3.7 FD w/ Open Differential

04 AT sedan... is there any negative to running 3.7 FD gearing with an open differential?... I realize that as lo9ng as I'm there I should have LSD installed (and if I do I have decided on Quaife)... I am on the fence about the LSD but am very much interested in 3.7 FD

Is there any reason not to run 3.7 with open differential?

Old 03-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
04 AT sedan... is there any negative to running 3.7 FD gearing with an open differential?... I realize that as lo9ng as I'm there I should have LSD installed (and if I do I have decided on Quaife)... I am on the fence about the LSD but am very much interested in 3.7 FD

Is there any reason not to run 3.7 with open differential?
i see no problem with running it with an open rear with the exception of the much better get outta the hole you will see.the problem with the open rear is all you will be doing is spinning 1 wheel and loosing traction.check my response on my350z also.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by superchargedg
i see no problem with running it with an open rear with the exception of the much better get outta the hole you will see.the problem with the open rear is all you will be doing is spinning 1 wheel and loosing traction.check my response on my350z also.
I saw your response on my350Z, thanks - I responded back... as far as traction (or lack of it) with open diff... that's kinda why I started the threads here and on Z - the only time I'm in a situation currently where either rear tire brakes loose is during aggressive cornering... I should say, sharp 90 degree turns... straight line acceleration is very rarely an issue... I just don’t see the theoretical 5% or so TQ to the ground increase breaking my tires loose all the time. Maybe I'm wrong.

In the end I'll probably get the Quaife... just want to bounce ideas and gain as much info as I can before I get it all done. I'm a little discouraged by some of the non-informative responses (other than yours) that I’m getting on Z... "Just get it", "you shouldn't be running open diff anyway"... that really doesn’t address my questions.

Thanks for your responses, it is appreciated.