Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Urgent: Faulty clutch master cylinder?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urgent: Faulty clutch master cylinder?

No matter how the clutch is adjusted, I cannot seem to get any freeplay from it. Could it be a faulty return spring? I can pull the pedal up with my foot but it just seems to rest at the point where the clutch begins to disengage when depressed.

Freeplay is the distance between when the clutch is fully disengaged to wherever the spring returns it too right?
something like:

l---- clutch spring returns pedal to this point

freeplay

l---- clutch begins disengaging at this point

clutch stroke

l---- lowest the pedal can go.

note: I just installed a SS clutch line and bled the clutch line in hopes of fixing this. Nothing worked.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:45 AM
btw, can anyone tell me if the spring that returns the pedal to the top is in the master slave cylinder or is it a part of the clutch assembly?

Old 03-21-2007, 01:38 PM
bump

Old 03-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no helpful comments here except....dang cloud, you got probs left and right with your G..... hope you get everything fixed...

Old 03-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Sorry but I'm having trouble understanding what's wrong here but I'll take a stab.

Does the pedal stay on the floor when you push it down and remove your foot from the pedal?? Maybe not all the way on the floor but it just wont come all the way up without assistance from your foot.

It sounds like you still have air in the system if any of th above is true. Are you bleeding the clutch alone or with help? What I try first is put a pint of brake fluid upside down on top of the clutch master cylinder. This assures that you don't run out of fluid. Then open the bleeder on the slave cylinder. AT THIS POINT DO NOT PUSH ON THE CLUTCH PEDAL!!! Just let it drip until the pint is empty.

If that doesn't work, get a helper and jack the front of the car up. Jacking the car serves two purposes. First, it gives you room to work. Second it raises the front of the master cylinder. Air always rises to the top. Have your helper get inside. DO NOT PUMP THE CLUTCH PEDAL!!! This will aerate the fluid and just make more air bubbles. Have your helper push the pedal to the floor, open the bleeder. Close the bleeder, release the pedal. Now, you may have to pick the pedal up with your foot. Repeat a few times. Again this is all with a pint upside down on the master.

The return spring is on the clutch pedal assembly itself. Make sure you have the master cylinder rod adjusted correctly. I usually adjust it to get the slack out.

Good luck. Sorry for the long post. keep us informed

Old 03-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Basically the clutch is working fine. It completes the entire stroke but it stops once it travels the full stroke and the pedal rests there. The return spring does not bring it further up to provide some freeplay although I have left space for that.

That is why I came to the conclusion that the return spring is not doing its Job. I believe the return spring is responsible or bringing the clutch pedal from the 'clutch is fully engaged position' to the top most position.

The clutch is bled by Z Car Garage so I believe there should be no problems.
The master cylinder rod is adjusted according to specs.

Last edited by cloud; 03-22-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Hey cloud, I need to talk to you. Can you clear your PM box, so I can PM you. Or you can send me an e-mail danny@int-auto.com Thanks!