Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Getting new torque converter what yall think

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I read the thing on wikipidea, but still a little out of my comfort zone on this one.

So the TC is basically only good for the launch...or does it help through out the entire power band? How does it produce more torque BTW? Is it bigger, lighter...?

-Sean

Old 04-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G
I read the thing on wikipidea, but still a little out of my comfort zone on this one.

So the TC is basically only good for the launch...or does it help through out the entire power band? How does it produce more torque BTW? Is it bigger, lighter...?

-Sean
Gears might be a better option... that's what I'm going to do.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
Gears might be a better option... that's what I'm going to do.
I have been looking at gears for a while. Going to try to find the gears from a and pumpkin with vlsd from a 350z.

-Sean

Old 04-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Like gears, a torque converter is a torque multiplication device; however, a TC can offer way more torque multiplication than gears. A quality and efficent TC can offer good driveability, good mpgs, and a shocking brutal launch. The stock TC is actually quite efficent. Increasing the stall speed to 4000rpms, would be help the launching capability, but I think it would effect the overall driveability around town (ie making the car a bit sluggish under part throttle).

What I'd really like to see is the Nissan Nanny turned off and have the TC be fully locked after 1st gear. The new Lexus IS-F will feature a 7 speed auto with a TC that fully locks in every, but 1st. This tranny will rip off shifts much quicker than that of famed Ferrari, Lambo, and BMW sequential manuals. It takes a lot of engineering to get a TC to handle that kind of abuse, but Lexus has done it.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was pumping some nitrous though the camaro i had. The most i can stall my g35 is to 2000 rpms and that is even after pressing brake then going into neutral so brake sinks more then putting back into M mode. I disable my abs Yaw and vdc when i goto the track.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by Crappyday
I was pumping some nitrous though the camaro i had. The most i can stall my g35 is to 2000 rpms and that is even after pressing brake then going into neutral so brake sinks more then putting back into M mode. I disable my abs Yaw and vdc when i goto the track.
center console?... fuse?... brake reservoir (area) connection?... I'm really liking the wiring ideas I'm reading about in the 350Z forums... flipping a switch is a great method! How are you doing it?...

Old 04-26-2007, 08:47 AM
DaveB wrote:
"The thing that's really holding back the launch capability of this car is the torque management system (read above) and also the "nanny" that keeps power relatively sedate below 3000rpms. My G will leap off the line for about 10 feet, then it bogs for a second, and then rpms hit 3000+ and the car takes off. The 350Zs behave entirely different. Most of us drag racers with 5ATs ususally see lower to mid 2.1 60 foots. The 5AT Z crowd tends to see lower 2.0s and even 1.9s. That's a huge difference. The shorter wheelbase and 120lb lighter weight helps the Z, but not that much in the first 60'. There's something else going so that's killing the power in the 5AT G35s."

Hmm, interesting...so I suspect the next question would be since the Z and the G use the same engine, and from my understanding the same tranny...... Is there a possible swap of the TCM and torque converter mod out there waiting in the wings?

Old 04-26-2007, 09:49 AM
I pull the Gray wire near the ABS under the hood ill take a pic later if yall need it i can do burnouts and everything as long as that is off.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Crappyday
I pull the Gray wire near the ABS under the hood ill take a pic later if yall need it i can do burnouts and everything as long as that is off.
thank you for the response... I think I know which one but doesn't that kill ABS as well? (guess it doesn't matter except for road course/auto cross)...

Old 04-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Yeah doesnt matter at the strip if abs is off but wouldnt do it on the street

Old 04-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
While I've never done it at the track, I've disconnected the yaw sensor under the shifter console and it completely turns off stability control, abs, and traction control, but doesn't effect the brake lights. It takes about 1 minute to swap back and forth.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
While I've never done it at the track, I've disconnected the yaw sensor under the shifter console and it completely turns off stability control, abs, and traction control, but doesn't effect the brake lights. It takes about 1 minute to swap back and forth.
yeah, the only problem there is getting the center consol off... I'm sure it's not difficult, but at the track it seems like the plug near the brake fluid reservoir is easier... I don’t need brake lights at the track

Old 04-28-2007, 02:42 AM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I had the edge racing TC installed along with the VB at GTM and the car def. shifts harder but also handles the power much better, before the car would not shift gears at all if the pedal was mashed.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:16 AM
Im happy w/ my launch since i dont track/race but since going F1 n not doing any tranny upgrades always paranoid about my AT going. will the TC prolong your AT or kill it faster?

Old 04-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by G-Mony
Im happy w/ my launch since i dont track/race but since going F1 n not doing any tranny upgrades always paranoid about my AT going. will the TC prolong your AT or kill it faster?
get an external ATF cooler... I have one that I took off my car - might be selling it... but they're cheap enough new that you should look into getting one (since you're FI)...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Getting new torque converter what yall think