Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Auto to Tiptronic on the fly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a non-issue. The computer just takes over the shift points when it goes back into Auto. I do it all the time, especially when I race. It's in manual mode when I launch, and at about 5K or so, once I've got traction, etc...I just push it over to auto for the rest of the time.

Rick

Old 07-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same same, It is really helpful when in Drive and going down the highway and I need to slow down a little without hitting the brakes. I bump it over to manual mode and it always goes from 5th to 4th automatically.

Comes in handy for passing and slowing down.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Haha, a lot of AT driver here :P

-Sooiseng

Old 07-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I usually keep it on AT. usually i go into tiptronic when i see a cop on the freeway, instead of hitting the breaks and making myself stand out more, i just drop it down a gear

Old 07-18-2007, 06:17 PM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve312
i'm pretty sure it shifts itself like a second after it crosses into the red
It didn't when I tried it...I was test driving a car and accelerated a little faster than I had anticipated and didn't actually press the lever to shift forward till i was a little into redline (and still accelerating) so I def. hit the rev limiter and it sounded nasty it took it another 2 seconds before I shifted.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve312
i'm pretty sure it shifts itself like a second after it crosses into the red
The car will NOT auto shift no matter how long you keep it at the rev limiter, trust me - I've tried.

It will also NOT shut off while hitting the rev limiter, it just sits there.

It is 100% okay to change from AT to manumatic mode whenever you want. These cars are meant to be treated like dogs..they like it. I hate when people worry about such small things as these...

Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 AM
while driving at highway speeds, i have switched over to manumatic 2 or 3times by mistake. I felt as if i had damaged the transmission but all is fine.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:14 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian
The car will NOT auto shift no matter how long you keep it at the rev limiter, trust me - I've tried.
LMFAO bro!

before or after the TT install?

i don't see why, or even how, this would hurt the car..

Old 07-19-2007, 02:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian

It will also NOT shut off while hitting the rev limiter, it just sits there.

It is 100% okay to change from AT to manumatic mode whenever you want. These cars are meant to be treated like dogs..they like it. I hate when people worry about such small things as these...
well now, when my 07 hit the revlimiter, it cutoff as if ignitition switch was turned off. RPM fell probably 1500 or so, then, engine came back up to the limiter again(I was not expecting it to do so)about same time I selected "D" and looked around to see who witnessed my dumbass move and there were several...when the limiter engaged, fell off and rengaged, sounded nasty and felt like a bronco...looked in my mirror for shiny, oils parts trailing behind, was very thankful

Old 07-19-2007, 03:35 AM
yeah, definitley fine to switch over. unlike other cars where you switch over to tiptronic and it starts at 1st gear, ours start at 4th gear. i've sat in traffic and got bored, so i would just switch it to my tiptronic mode and just push up and down over and over and mess with the cpu. hahha. just love seeing it go 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 =)

Old 07-19-2007, 05:40 AM
hmm does anybody else have first hand experience with what happens going into redline in manual mode? I dont think I'll try this myself, but wouldn't mind hearing more about what happens for different people -- just in case i do it by accident

Last edited by jaysan; 07-19-2007 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by wongsooiseng
Haha, a lot of AT driver here :P

-Sooiseng
AT driver can drive in AT & half MT
MT driver can only drive in MT

Old 07-19-2007, 10:38 AM
EZZ
Originally Posted by jaysan
hmm does anybody else have first hand experience with what happens going into redline in manual mode? I dont think I'll try this myself, but wouldn't mind hearing more about what happens for different people -- just in case i do it by accident
You bounce off the rev-limiter. Trust me

Old 07-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by jaysan

you'll just bounce off the rev limiter. it cuts the throttle for a fraction of a second but none the less if you keep accelerating your just gonna hit redline all over again

Old 07-19-2007, 07:12 PM
thanks

another question - does the manual-mode allow engine damage if you downshift to a gear too low at high speed?
for example, if you are in D mode and you flip it to manual, then downshift too much. Will it let you blow the engine or will it prevent the downshift from occurring?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Auto to Tiptronic on the fly?