Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

07 6MT - clutch failed and left me stranded

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 07 6MT - clutch failed and left me stranded

I only have 3600 miles on my 2007 G35S 6MT and was going to schedule my first oil change/service for this week.

Last week, my clutch failed and left me stranded on the side of the freeway necessitating a tow from Infiniti Roadside Assistance.

The clutch pedal remained fully depressed and wouldn't come back up which
meant I couldn't shift gears.

Quite upsetting.

It turned out that air somehow got into the Master Cylinder for the clutch causing the failure. The dealer bled the air from the Master Cylinder and the car feels fine now ... for the most part. I'm now paranoid that the problem will come back.

I was told that the problem is rare and everything should be fine. I've heard that one before.

Has anyone experienced this?

The clutch was getting "sticky" for about a day before it actually failed.
It would stick at the bottom for a few seconds before popping back up.

I also noticed that the clutch normally has resistance for pretty much the entire length of the pedal travel. As the clutch began to "stick", the resistance of the pedal travel also changed ... there was no/little resistance for the first 1/3 of pedal travel.

If anyone with a 07 6MT notices any of the above mentioned behavior in their clutch, get it checked out. You don't want to have it fail and leave you stranded.

As you can imagine, I'm keeping a close eye on my clutch to see if any problems remain.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow that sucks! Glad things are ok now but I'm sure you had way better things to be doing that day.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wouldn't worry about it

Old 08-11-2007, 06:13 PM
my car has about 7000 miles right now and it feels fine
my clutch pedal does squeak though but the dealer ordered a replacement for me.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:38 PM
I'll honestly say, as the clutch has aged... the better feel it has started to get.

Sounds like an anomoly.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:42 PM
This is a common problem on the 07 350Z boards. Several guys have had problems with the new design with air in the hydraulic clutch lines. It seems to be a problem with the factory assembly process. The system just needs to be bled and then everything is fine.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:28 PM
good to know. glad it wasn't anything major and there was a quick fix.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:26 PM
I had the same problem getting off the highway the other day...clutch completely dropped to the ground and I had to rev match to get back in gear. After I got off the highway I was able to pump the clutch a few times and rebuild the pressure. I haven't seen the problem return with this intensity, but I don't just fear it coming back - I know it will return. My old Honda Prelude had the same problem, and it was only fully fixed by replacing the master cylinder. I think the problem is worst after a long period of highway driving. Not sure why this may be, but I think it has to do with the air making its way into a certain area (any ideas?)

I took it to the dealer and told them what was going on, but because the problem wasn't present right then, they said they couldn't do anything about it (WTF?). I eventually convinced them to bleed the clutch, and I think it helped a little bit, but I still feel that softness from time to time, especially first thing in the morning, or after a long period of highway driving. If anyone finds out a solution, please let me know.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:51 PM
2NDL1FE
This problem happened to my '05 coupe. The clutch pedal was sticking during traffic and dealer took 2 weeks to order the part (clutch slave cylinder). I still drove my car while I waited for the part to come in. While I waited, I felt that my clutch started slipping too because of this problem. Dealership covered the pedal sticking but they wouldn't cover the clutch slipping since it's a wear item. I even called Infiniti consumer affairs and they didn't help me either. Now I have a new clutch slave but nearly worn out clutch.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Same Thing in My 07 Sedan

Same thing happend to me a few months ago. I was at about 3.5k miles and the clutch got stuck on the floor. It ended up being the slave cylinder, as others have said. The dealer told me that several 07's had experienced the same problem - It didn't take long to fix.

Everything is good now.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
did u have to pay for the towing??? hope this doesnt happen to me...

Old 09-29-2007, 06:36 PM
For anyone interested, i have a barely used OEM Clutch and flywheel off a customer's 2006 G35 coupe.

Broke it in for 1200 miles and then it came right off.

PM me if you're interested.
I'll have it installed for a good price too.

-DRU

Old 10-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Premier Member

Problem is definitely not rare. It is actually common now on the 07's G and Z's. There is a lot of detail info on this with my350z.com. The fluid gets hot, especially after some highway driving, and will boil in that line. It is very close to the exhaust on the 07s. We need a SS line and supposely this might fix the issue, but no one is sure yet.

Originally Posted by frink8
I only have 3600 miles on my 2007 G35S 6MT and was going to schedule my first oil change/service for this week.

Last week, my clutch failed and left me stranded on the side of the freeway necessitating a tow from Infiniti Roadside Assistance.

The clutch pedal remained fully depressed and wouldn't come back up which
meant I couldn't shift gears.

Quite upsetting.

It turned out that air somehow got into the Master Cylinder for the clutch causing the failure. The dealer bled the air from the Master Cylinder and the car feels fine now ... for the most part. I'm now paranoid that the problem will come back.

I was told that the problem is rare and everything should be fine. I've heard that one before.

Has anyone experienced this?

The clutch was getting "sticky" for about a day before it actually failed.
It would stick at the bottom for a few seconds before popping back up.

I also noticed that the clutch normally has resistance for pretty much the entire length of the pedal travel. As the clutch began to "stick", the resistance of the pedal travel also changed ... there was no/little resistance for the first 1/3 of pedal travel.

If anyone with a 07 6MT notices any of the above mentioned behavior in their clutch, get it checked out. You don't want to have it fail and leave you stranded.

As you can imagine, I'm keeping a close eye on my clutch to see if any problems remain.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:28 PM
I experienced the same thing. I took it in to multiple dealers before one finally flushed the air out of the master cylinder. Worked well for about 3 months and occured again this past weekend (after some spirited driving). When I took it in, the clutch was literally stuck to the ground with the engine off! I just heard back from them and it looks like I"m getting a new master cylinder. yey =/

I would definitely suggest taking it back and having them fix the problem before you get stranded again..

Last edited by frenbjr; 10-01-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Well, it happened to me too. Basically, just as everyone described- the clutch starting to stick to the floor and I drove it to the dealership. I thought I was going to have to call a tow truck but there was just enough travel and pressure in the cylinder to engage and disengage the clutch. Infiniti replaced the pedal and the slave cylinder. The repair took one week- ridiculous.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 6MT - clutch failed and left me stranded