Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Hard Shift Is it Normal 5 A/T

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I'm not sure of the coupes were ever equipped with the dreaded type I ecus. Pray that you don't have it. Dave O has kindly pm'd me about me having the type 1 ecu. I had to give him my vin I believe. Try pming him about it.

Either that or try calling a dealer. But good luck with that!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G
True, i bought the car like the day after the arrived at the infiniti dealership so it really was once of the first ones on the road...

-Sean
don't plan on getting Osiris then - unfortunately it doesn’t sound like they plan to make a compatible cable/adapter... the later model 03s are good to go - but the very first ones (bought in 02) have some funny business going on...

have you tried ground wires yet?... have you looked into valve body upgrade? (I know it's a bit pricey, but that's what will give you the best results)...

Old 11-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
don't plan on getting Osiris then - unfortunately it doesn’t sound like they plan to make a compatible cable/adapter... the later model 03s are good to go - but the very first ones (bought in 02) have some funny business going on...

have you tried ground wires yet?... have you looked into valve body upgrade? (I know it's a bit pricey, but that's what will give you the best results)...
Yeah, i have heard mixed opinions on grounding wires. The valve body seems great, but im not sure if my cars transmission is just starting to go dead or if it is something valve body related or TSM related. I have 107,xxx on the car and still on the same transmission. I am just assuming that it is starting to go out. I have the fluid changed about every 20K miles if not less so it has been taken care of, but has been ran hard.

I have never reset the ECU or anything...

-Sean

Old 11-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Red Card Crew

If UpRev decides to offer their services to the older VQ35 maxima, then there might be a chance that the Osris will be available for our type I. At least if it's only the cable/connector holding us back

Old 11-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Red Card Crew

This also might be worth looking into: The non-existant tranny ecu modifier.
I've only seen this mentioned once here. It's totally brand new as far as I've seen. I bet the type I guys are out of luck on this one also. Also note that the tranny p/n is mentioned, not the car/year/make.
http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...content-4.html
http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...u_product2.pdf

Ugh I take that back. We have the RE5R05A. But it DOES say it's in development!

Last edited by Jeff92se; 11-14-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car was purchased in June/July 03...
I want to see if my was affected, who can I give the VIN to so they can double check?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
If UpRev decides to offer their services to the older VQ35 maxima, then there might be a chance that the Osris will be available for our type I. At least if it's only the cable/connector holding us back
from what I have heard they are not planning on making the cable for the "type1" ECU plug... I would imagine if there was enough interest they might reconsider...

Old 11-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by AaronJP
My car was purchased in June/July 03...
I want to see if my was affected, who can I give the VIN to so they can double check?
when you say "affected" are you referring to the slow shifts and harsh shifts? Or the old ECU that doesn't work with Osiris? (the Osiris thing is way OT I should have never brought it up, it was only relevant in the context of that particular post)...

If it is Osiris, you should be fine with what you have... if you are referring to the slow shifts and/or hard shifts, we all have that problem to an extent

Old 11-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Man, some of ya'll get really angry over words on a screen.

Anyway, I want to clear up somethings. I am the person who had the issues with this shuddering that led to the TCM REPROGRAMMING, NOT RESETTING. I'm not confused, I didn't misunderstand, I still have the receipt from Infiniti (we all know what they look like) that had my complaint on it and what the solutions was for them to apply and it specifically states REPROGRAM TCM.

I have a 06 5AT sedan that had the shuddering issue and when they REPROGRAMMED (meaning erased the old software that the TCM uses and replaced it with DIFFERENT software) it sort of masked my shuddering issue. So I immediately noticed that my car was different, and that something about the tranny had changed, it no longer shuddered but it would do other weird things that it never did before they REPROGRAMMED my TCM.

Then the bulletin came out about the shuddering and the fix was replacing the transmission valve body. So that let me know right there that REPROGRAMMING the TCM would mask the shuddering issue but cause other strange behavior and Infiniti acknowledged this, found the problem to be the valve body and issued a bulletin to replace them.

I took my car back to the dealership last week to complain about how the tranny seems so confused all the time since they REPROGRAMMED the TCM and they immediately applied the TSB and ordered a new valve body. I got my car back on monday and I am happy to say that with a new valve body, I don't have the shuddering, my tranny is no longer confused, and my car is happy. (knock on wood, I’ve only had it back for 2 days)

My car is stock, no modifications; I keep all my receipts from every dealer visit. I don’t want to go thru the bother of scanning them and uploading them to the web just to prove to other people that there are different versions of software for the TCM and it can be BOTH reset and REPROGRAMMED.

Here is a link to a Infiniti TSB that states to REPROGRAM the TCM to solve a specific problem. Scroll down to "actions" and look at action E

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB03-034.htm

I really like this site and have gained alot of knowledge from you all so I just want to give back what I learned to maybe help out others.

Last edited by Allenzi35; 11-15-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:58 PM
One more thing, from what I gathered at the dealer, talking to the service person, the TCM is inside the tranny itself and not in the cabin like the ECU. In case anyone cares lol

Old 11-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by Allenzi35
One more thing, from what I gathered at the dealer, talking to the service person, the TCM is inside the tranny itself and not in the cabin like the ECU. In case anyone cares lol
04.5 and after yes... prior no

Old 11-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Allenzi35
Man, some of ya'll get really angry over words on a screen.

Anyway, I want to clear up somethings. I am the person who had the issues with this shuddering that led to the TCM REPROGRAMMING, NOT RESETTING. I'm not confused, I didn't misunderstand, I still have the receipt from Infiniti (we all know what they look like) that had my complaint on it and what the solutions was for them to apply and it specifically states REPROGRAM TCM.

I have a 06 5AT sedan that had the shuddering issue and when they REPROGRAMMED (meaning erased the old software that the TCM uses and replaced it with DIFFERENT software) it sort of masked my shuddering issue. So I immediately noticed that my car was different, and that something about the tranny had changed, it no longer shuddered but it would do other weird things that it never did before they REPROGRAMMED my TCM.

Then the bulletin came out about the shuddering and the fix was replacing the transmission valve body. So that let me know right there that REPROGRAMMING the TCM would mask the shuddering issue but cause other strange behavior and Infiniti acknowledged this, found the problem to be the valve body and issued a bulletin to replace them.

I took my car back to the dealership last week to complain about how the tranny seems so confused all the time since they REPROGRAMMED the TCM and they immediately applied the TSB and ordered a new valve body. I got my car back on monday and I am happy to say that with a new valve body, I don't have the shuddering, my tranny is no longer confused, and my car is happy. (knock on wood, I’ve only had it back for 2 days)

My car is stock, no modifications; I keep all my receipts from every dealer visit. I don’t want to go thru the bother of scanning them and uploading them to the web just to prove to other people that there are different versions of software for the TCM and it can be BOTH reset and REPROGRAMMED.

Here is a link to a Infiniti TSB that states to REPROGRAM the TCM to solve a specific problem. Scroll down to "actions" and look at action E

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB03-034.htm

I really like this site and have gained alot of knowledge from you all so I just want to give back what I learned to maybe help out others.
so it sounds lke the valve body was the problem, not the TCU?... the link you sent was for 03 - but you have an 06?

Edit: I also just realized why this TSB doesn’t list when you pull it up under transmission... It stemmed from a check engine light (DTC, is that Data Trouble Code?)... It's listed under DTC in the TSB, not transmission or TCM where I would have expected.

did you have to have a check engine light on with a specific code to get this "update"?...

Last edited by OCG35; 11-15-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:17 AM
daaaaaaaang, the link i provided was just an example to show that REPROGRAMMING the ecu is possible and is used in TSB's, I never said that was the TSB that was performed on my car.

Yes, I had a bad valve body, thats why reprogramming the TCM did not really fix my car because the TCM was fine, it was the valve body. They did this before the shudder TSB came out. After they realized that reprogramming the TCM was not solving the problem, they must have come to the conclusion that it was the valve body. I would imagine they used process of elimination. It would be logical to replace software an see if that helps before spending the big bucks and replacing parts.

The link above just goes to show you that all years of 5AT's are reprogrammable.

Here is a link to the actual TSB that was performed on my car.

https://g35driver.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1193705264

Old 11-15-2007, 12:30 AM
I think people are missing the point.

My original statement was that there is no reflash, reprogram, re-whatever, that you can just go and request. Like going to TechnoSquare or a tuner and request a reflash for your ECU.

That was my only point.

Now, can a dealer install different software to update? Yes... can they get in there and tweak things and make your shifts better? No. Can anyone? Not that I have ever heard of. Should they YES!!! There is a big market for it obviously.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by OCG35
did you have to have a check engine light on with a specific code to get this "update"?...

I really don't know because like I said above, the above TSB was NOT the TSB that was performed on my car. That TSB was for an 03 and I have an 06.

I only used that TSB as a reference to how it is and has been possible to REPROGRAM the TCM's

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hard Shift Is it Normal 5 A/T