Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

G left me stranded...dead clutch pedal...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by madchef
Ah thanks ratm, thats exactly what I am hoping it is.

So, sounds like I will prob be stuck with a labor bill and a $12 part? Maybe 2 2 hour job?
not sure hwo long it takes to drop the tranny. I ended up paying my local shop $340 for the work, but it also include them putting in new lines and welding up my x-muffler. I also had the car on their lift for 2 days while i run around trying to source the pivot bolt. Just an FYI that you want to get it from infiniti. I bought one from nissan since it was closer and it turns out some of their year had a slightly different bolts

Old 11-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Estimate is at $830 right now

Clutch Fork
Clutch Cylinder
Master Cylinder (might not need this, so -$150 if not)

Powertrain warranty covers none of it. Infiniti NA read the list off to me....this blows. Apparently it might have been covered if I still had my bumper-to-bumper warranty

Old 11-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Estimate is at $830 right now

Clutch Fork
Clutch Cylinder
Master Cylinder (might not need this, so -$150 if not)

Powertrain warranty covers none of it. Infiniti NA read the list off to me....this blows. Apparently it might have been covered if I still had my bumper-to-bumper warranty

I'd get a second opinion on those parts. did they take you back to take a look? the fork itself looks pretty stiff and much tougher to break than the pivot bolt i'm talking about. Regardless, that seem to be the culprit. I don't know how this would equates to you needing a new slave and master cylinder. They don't work because the fork isnt there to hold the pressure. when i fixed mine, i too thought it was my slave so i already bought it, so they put it in anyways. IMO your slave and master should function normally once the fork and/or pivot bolt is fixed and is resting against the cylinder. I know the cylinders alone are like $150 each or whatever. I'd question them why they thing you need to replace that. It's almost like they're trying to con you into replacing component A&B because C is broken and A&B don't seem to be working. Perhaps a tech can comment?

Old 11-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by ratm68
I'd get a second opinion on those parts. did they take you back to take a look? the fork itself looks pretty stiff and much tougher to break than the pivot bolt i'm talking about. Regardless, that seem to be the culprit. I don't know how this would equates to you needing a new slave and master cylinder. They don't work because the fork isnt there to hold the pressure. when i fixed mine, i too thought it was my slave so i already bought it, so they put it in anyways. IMO your slave and master should function normally once the fork and/or pivot bolt is fixed and is resting against the cylinder. I know the cylinders alone are like $150 each or whatever. I'd question them why they thing you need to replace that. It's almost like they're trying to con you into replacing component A&B because C is broken and A&B don't seem to be working. Perhaps a tech can comment?
I did question it becuase it didn't make sense to me.

I was told the broken clutch fork (after breaking) damaged the slavecyl, he said he didnt know if the master was broken or not but agreed to not replace it until he made sure if it works after fixing the fork + slv

Problem is, my car is undriveable so unless I shell out $$$ I can't really get another opinion

Last edited by madchef; 11-30-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:57 AM
I did question it becuase it didn't make sense to me.

I was told the broken clutch fork (after breaking) damaged the slavecyl, he said he didnt know if the master was broken or not but agreed to not replace it until he made sure if it works after fixing the fork + slv

Problem is, my car is undriveable so unless I shell out $$$ I can't really get another opinion

I think the only way the slave could of been damaged from a broken fork, is that the piston in the cylinder is fully extended once there's no pressure pressing on it. Not sure if that actually make it unfunctional or not. I don't see how else a broken fork would damage the slave as it is not really connected to the fork in any way.

Also, unless they visually see that the fork itself is broken, it still can very well be just the pivot bolts that broke. The fork sticks out of the tranny and you really can't see anything inside of it and if they see that the fork wiggle freely, they may misdiagnose that the fork is broken and charge you for it when it's just the pivot bolt that hold the fork in place that's broken, might save you some money. God knows that if they open it up, notice it's just a $16 bolt, they'd still scam you for the price of the whole fork

Last edited by ratm68; 11-30-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Since fluid was observed on the ground and the reservoir was low, it would seem like a no-brainer that a line or fitting ruptured. This is not an uncommon problem for most any Nissan that uses hydraulic pressure to manipulate the clutch.

Why do msot of these shops and techs always assume the worst? They need to reason as bit better when doing a failure/cause analysis. Wouldn't it be odvious that a line ruptured since there was hydraulic fluid below the car and the slave reservoir was low? How can a rupture in a line cause the failure of the fork I'd say fix the line/fitting first and then see what happens. That work shouldn't cost more than $200-400.

Don't be a jerk, but specifically tell them you want ever failed part from that tranny. They might take you a little more seriously and do a little better analysis.

And finally, how is this NOT covered under warranty. It is a powertrain component and NOT a wear and tear item. The clutch and flywheel are not covered, but other compontents within the tranny should be covered. Ask the dealership for the specific Nissan/Infiniti list of covered and non-covered powertrain components.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:08 PM
yea, i'd put up a fight about warrantee coverage. Definitely raise hell since it's clearly a manufacturer defect and no wear and tear. Unless you have any after market clutch, of which they can claim the heavier pressure plate caused the failure. I was out of mine so had no choice. In regard to the fluid leak, when the pivot bolt breaks, and the clutch fork no long has anything to lean on, there's nothing to press gainst the slave cylinder. So the piston/bar that gets pushed out by the fluid when you clutch in, is fully extended and that's where the leak occurrs in this scenario.

I also agree on telling the dealer to save every part they claim is defective.

Originally Posted by DaveB
Since fluid was observed on the ground and the reservoir was low, it would seem like a no-brainer that a line or fitting ruptured. This is not an uncommon problem for most any Nissan that uses hydraulic pressure to manipulate the clutch.

Why do msot of these shops and techs always assume the worst? They need to reason as bit better when doing a failure/cause analysis. Wouldn't it be odvious that a line ruptured since there was hydraulic fluid below the car and the slave reservoir was low? How can a rupture in a line cause the failure of the fork I'd say fix the line/fitting first and then see what happens. That work shouldn't cost more than $200-400.

Don't be a jerk, but specifically tell them you want ever failed part from that tranny. They might take you a little more seriously and do a little better analysis.

And finally, how is this NOT covered under warranty. It is a powertrain component and NOT a wear and tear item. The clutch and flywheel are not covered, but other compontents within the tranny should be covered. Ask the dealership for the specific Nissan/Infiniti list of covered and non-covered powertrain components.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:50 PM
As I said before, I called Infiniti NA and had them read the entire list to me of what is covered. They said it might have been covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty (which I no longer have) but is definitaly not covered by the powertrain warranty.

The powertrain warranty basically stops at the flywheel then moves to the tranny

Here is a partial list:
engine
oil pan
valve train front
timing chain
tensioner
oil pump
water pump
fuel pump
intake exhaust man
flywheel
seals and gaskets

case internal torque convrt
auto control mod
trasnfer case (internal parts)
seals and gaskets
clutch cover housing

driveshaft
final drive
internals
prop shaft
bearings gaskets

Old 11-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
As I said before, I called Infiniti NA and had them read the entire list to me of what is covered. They said it might have been covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty (which I no longer have) but is definitaly not covered by the powertrain warranty.

The powertrain warranty basically stops at the flywheel then moves to the tranny

Here is a partial list:
engine
oil pan
valve train front
timing chain
tensioner
oil pump
water pump
fuel pump
intake exhaust man
flywheel
seals and gaskets

case internal torque convrt
auto control mod
trasnfer case (internal parts)
seals and gaskets
clutch cover housing

driveshaft
final drive
internals
prop shaft
bearings gaskets
I don't see transmission on that list. The tranmission is definitely covered by the powertrain warranty and the slave cylinder and associated lines should be covered too. They receive as much wear as the motor internals and you can't break/wear out those parts like you could a clutch or brake pads. I'll have to look over the coverages in my owner's manual tonight.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I don't see transmission on that list. The tranmission is definitely covered by the powertrain warranty and the slave cylinder and associated lines should be covered too. They receive as much wear as the motor internals and you can't break/wear out those parts like you could a clutch or brake pads. I'll have to look over the coverages in my owner's manual tonight.
partial list

Sounds like they are going to put the slave cyl under warranty.

Nigel, the service manager, is a pretty resonable guy

Well, gonna go pick it up

Old 01-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much did the dealer end up charging you for the service?......I am having the same exact problem right now.....i put the slave in myself praying that was the problem.....well it was just one of them....the giggling from the fork is the other one....i am thinking about just doing it myself but if it is reasonable i might just pay to have it done.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Just above $1k

IIRC, replaced the clutch disc, pressure plate, bolt + labor...maybe some other stuff I forgot

Left the "chipped" flywheel (tiny bit of chatter)

Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is so weird...i had the same problem with my pivot fork bolt snapping at 55,000 miles. Does that make sense that it snaps so early??

another guy's just broke too at 55,000 miles
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ght=clutch+pin

I do have an after market NISMO clutch, but should have effect the pressure on the pivot fork bolt?

Last edited by Jeeves; 04-29-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:00 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Yep, the above link is to my post about the same damn thing. My bolt broke and caused the clutch to go out. I ended up buying a JWT clutch and Lightweight flywheel, but I think that Infiniti should definately cover this as it seems like alot of peoples are breaking around 55000 miles. Anyone got any corporate contacts? I only had my car for like 6 months before I had to do all this. Check out my post....

Old 04-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
...i'm getting a lil paranoid....seems like 03's and 04's are getting these problems.

https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetrain/194787-clutch-stuck-floor.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetrain/194907-clutch-problems-help.html

Any 03's 04's 6MT with high mileage that never had this problem?...it'll make me feel better