Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Question for those who have changed their own clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those who have changed their own clutch

Of the people here who have changed their own clutch, how many have actually seen enough wear on the dual-mass flywheel to warrant replacement.

I will be doing my own, after 86K miles, and don't want to order an $800-900 flywheel if it's not necessary, want to keep the stock clutch setup for a variety of reasons, and want to have the parts on hand when starting the project, since you can't just run down to the parts store and get a new flywheel.

thanks in advance for your assistance,

rod s
2003 g35 6MT

Old 07-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by SpecRacer
Of the people here who have changed their own clutch, how many have actually seen enough wear on the dual-mass flywheel to warrant replacement.

I will be doing my own, after 86K miles, and don't want to order an $800-900 flywheel if it's not necessary, want to keep the stock clutch setup for a variety of reasons, and want to have the parts on hand when starting the project, since you can't just run down to the parts store and get a new flywheel.

thanks in advance for your assistance,

rod s
2003 g35 6MT
You usually don't need to replace a flywheel on your first clutch change unless it's damaged(warped, cracked, or has missing or chipped teeth). In the event that you keep your original flywheel(the most likely situation)... You'll want to at least have a shop resurface your original flywheel before putting the new clutch on.... so I wouldn't plan on being able to take the whole transmission and clutch out, and putting the new clutch on in one fell swoop without a trip at some point in the middle to a machine shop to have the flywheel surface recut.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:52 AM
Acording to the dealer you cant resurface the factory origional flywheel. Buy a Nismo its so close to stock you wont notice a negative difference and you can get one for $400 so your not out of pocket too much. They are 23lbs instead of the 31lb standard flywheel. I have one and have no complaints.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by operator28
Acording to the dealer you cant resurface the factory origional flywheel. Buy a Nismo its so close to stock you wont notice a negative difference and you can get one for $400 so your not out of pocket too much. They are 23lbs instead of the 31lb standard flywheel. I have one and have no complaints.
where are they for $400?

Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 AM
i changed my clutch out at 60k, and the flywheel still looked good. i just put the new clutch in, and buttoned it back up......no problems here. I now have almost 5k on the new clutch. The flywheel can be turned.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:29 PM
I changed my stock clutch out because it was shot, slipping, burning, etc. There was wear on the stock flywheel however I thought it could easily be resurfaced by a capable shop despite Nissan claiming it not being possible. However in my case I wanted to upgrade to a lighter flywheel so I ended up going with a JWT combo, if I hadn't I would just have resurfaced the stocker and thrown in a new clutch disc and pressure plate. I think you will be fine and you will save a ton of cash if your set on keeping it stock.

The overall job took me about 16 hours including the multiple drives to the parts store looking for a pilot bushing puller that actually worked!! The worst part is just laying under the car for hour upon hour, should have bought a crawler too.

PM if you need any pointers and good luck!