Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Shifting between gears feels harder?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting between gears feels harder?

I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid becaus its my first MT car but for reason I noticed this tonight, I've had my 05 6MT for a week now, but is it normal for the shifter to be harder to put into gear while moving than say while I'm not moving and just moving the shifter from gear to gear?

I had my pops check it out and he says I'm just being paranoid and its fine, but for some reason I've felt like the shifter felt harder to move between gears while I was driving tonight, and yes the clutch was fully depressed so thats not the issue. I'm having the compass glass replaced tommorow under warranty at the dealer so I might have them check it out to be positive

Old 08-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's normal, you might always think your gearbox is fvcked but it's not. I still think it after driving manuals since I was 16 AND after driving my 6MT for 2 years.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by lekker_droom
it's normal, you might always think your gearbox is fvcked but it's not. I still think it after driving manuals since I was 16 AND after driving my 6MT for 2 years.
haha thanks for the quick reply bud

Old 08-19-2008, 04:04 PM
LOL same here brother, I get EXTREMLY paranoid when I drive my car. This is my 1st MT as well. It is indeed more "harder" or rougher when actually driving the car compared to being at a stop and just switching the gears around. The G35 clutch isn't the smoothest in the world lol. My buddies 04 325 is ALOT smoother then my car...But hey, you get a sports car, I guess you gotta expect sports car performance.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
when was the last time you had your transmission fluid changed?

Old 08-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by shockedimpy
LOL same here brother, I get EXTREMLY paranoid when I drive my car. This is my 1st MT as well. It is indeed more "harder" or rougher when actually driving the car compared to being at a stop and just switching the gears around. The G35 clutch isn't the smoothest in the world lol. My buddies 04 325 is ALOT smoother then my car...But hey, you get a sports car, I guess you gotta expect sports car performance.
haha yes good to see I'm not the only one.. yea I feel you, the last MT I practiced on was a v6 accord, talk about smooth shifts lol

Originally Posted by Deepdiver
I bought the car a week ago, I haven't changed it myself yet

Old 08-20-2008, 01:30 PM
when should it be changed? i looked up stuff on it and it was pretty much saying dont mess with. my car is still under warrenty so is it covered if i took it in and had them look.

05 6MT coupe with about 38K

thanks

Trending Topics

Old 08-20-2008, 02:20 PM
I had some concern about my shifter not too long ago with my 06 6MT Coupe. I noticed it wasn't smooth where dropping into 2nd gear sort of felt like it was hitting something (a notch) before dropping into the bay. I figured a way to get around it but after a while it ended up bothering me and so I brought her in. The dealership suspected the 2nd gear was grinding and decided to swap out the transmission. Got the car back... still the same. They decided to try an re-align my shifter... same problem. The head tech finally decided to just swap out the whole shifter assembly. Result? Shifts like butter. New drivetrain... I'm not complaining.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Zer030nE
I had some concern about my shifter not too long ago with my 06 6MT Coupe. I noticed it wasn't smooth where dropping into 2nd gear sort of felt like it was hitting something (a notch) before dropping into the bay. I figured a way to get around it but after a while it ended up bothering me and so I brought her in. The dealership suspected the 2nd gear was grinding and decided to swap out the transmission. Got the car back... still the same. They decided to try an re-align my shifter... same problem. The head tech finally decided to just swap out the whole shifter assembly. Result? Shifts like butter. New drivetrain... I'm not complaining.
interesting, was it only the 2nd gear that gave you problems?

Old 08-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Yeah, only the 2nd gear. Every other gear shifted okay but that 2nd gear was finicky. I had to throw the clutch in, drop into neutral, hold it for a split second, then engage 2nd gear to avoid the 'notch' it felt like it was hitting or rubbing against. Initially I thought it was the shift gate but the click/hit/rub was occurring after passing through the gate. The funny thing is after they 're-aligned' my shifter, it started happening in the 4th gear as well. Lets just say I'm relieved that the issue is resolved. FYI, there was a slight bit of resistance while shifting through all the gears, even the head tech noticed it and my car was in a resting, not rolling, position.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:21 PM
I also feel this notch when shifting into 2nd gear, I believe it might be normal compared to your results. Am I incorrect? It seems with most 6MT coupes, people are having the same "feelings" with the 2nd gear being the roughest to shift into. Other then that, my shifting is pretty solid.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Zer030nE
Yeah, only the 2nd gear. Every other gear shifted okay but that 2nd gear was finicky. I had to throw the clutch in, drop into neutral, hold it for a split second, then engage 2nd gear to avoid the 'notch' it felt like it was hitting or rubbing against. Initially I thought it was the shift gate but the click/hit/rub was occurring after passing through the gate. The funny thing is after they 're-aligned' my shifter, it started happening in the 4th gear as well. Lets just say I'm relieved that the issue is resolved. FYI, there was a slight bit of resistance while shifting through all the gears, even the head tech noticed it and my car was in a resting, not rolling, position.
I see, I think the issue me and shocked were thinking of is a notch down from that.. for me the gear shifts fine while I'm resting, just when I'm driving around its a bit rougher

Old 08-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracer04
when should it be changed? i looked up stuff on it and it was pretty much saying dont mess with. my car is still under warrenty so is it covered if i took it in and had them look.

05 6MT coupe with about 38K

thanks
Infiniti says 30K. A lot of enthusiast forum members change more frequently.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Infiniti says 30K. A lot of enthusiast forum members change more frequently.
One more question, is that something that a dealer could look up (assuming it would have been done at a infiniti dealer?)

thanks!

Old 08-21-2008, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by mreh
I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid becaus its my first MT car but for reason I noticed this tonight, I've had my 05 6MT for a week now, but is it normal for the shifter to be harder to put into gear while moving than say while I'm not moving and just moving the shifter from gear to gear?

I had my pops check it out and he says I'm just being paranoid and its fine, but for some reason I've felt like the shifter felt harder to move between gears while I was driving tonight, and yes the clutch was fully depressed so thats not the issue. I'm having the compass glass replaced tommorow under warranty at the dealer so I might have them check it out to be positive
Yes it makes perfect sense that you will have more trouble moving the shifter from gear-to-gear while moving than while sitting still.

If the car is moving, the wheels are turning the output shaft of the transmission. However, the gears on this shaft are on bearings, so they are free-spinning. When you move your shifter, the gears have to "come up" to speed to match the output shaft before the collar will bite into the gear and thus engage the gear.

So... if you are coasting with the clutch fully on the floor, your input shaft is not spinning, and thus the layshaft is not spinning, and thus the gears on the output shaft are not spinning. However, the output shaft IS spinning since the car is moving. When you apply pressure with the shifter, the synchros on the edge of the gear will mesh with the collar, working to bring the layshaft and input shaft up to speed to match the rotational speed necessary to engage the gear onto the rotating output shaft. This takes energy and you will feel it as resistance to accept the gear.

All you have to do to make the gear go in with less effort while driving is to spin up the layshaft to match the output shaft. Once the rotational speeds are the same, there is no spinning up or down to be done and the gear will glide right in just like it does when you are parked at a stop sign. Let's say you are rolling at 40mph in 3rd gear. Let's pretend that is 3,000rpm. Next, you press the clutch all the way down and let off the gas. Now you are still going about 40mph, but your revs are at idle 800rpm. So, if you try to press the shifter towards 3rd gear again, all that hardware in the tranny has to spin back up to where it was when it was sync'd up at 3,000rpm. Now lets say that instead of just pressing the shifter towards 3rd gear, you put the shifter in neutral and then release the clutch pedal. In this configuration, your engine is turning the layshaft and gears but not the output shaft. Now, rev up to 3200rpm or so (to give yourself a little play), then quickly put the clutch back in and apply pressure towards 3rd gear on the shifter. You will notice the gear will go in much easier -- that's because the speeds are matched up. When you are stopped they are also matched up -- 0rpm to 0rpm.

Ok I'm rambling on and on so I will shut up but hopefully that makes sense. If not, read this:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission1.htm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shifting between gears feels harder?