Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Help with JWT clutch while the car is on lift at Dealer!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with JWT clutch while the car is on lift at Dealer!!!

Hi everyone,

My car is currently getting an new engine due to oil consumption and i had ordered a JWT clutch setup from Concept Z. The clutch came with a few parts in addition to what i am used to. He sent his upgraded pivot ball, SS line, Nismo pilot bearing, and there is a small package with numbers and a barcode containing a thick black metal washer about 3/4 of an inch in diameter and maybe 1/8 in thick. They just called me because they DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS and said that if i don't have an answer soon they are just going to put factory clutch/flywheel back in. Anyone install this clutch by itself and if so is this part of the clutch kit or is it something else. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance

Old 08-21-2008, 04:11 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
that is the standard pilot bushing, it is copper in color. They should have sent you the upgraded needle bearing that will take its place

Old 08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
If I am not mistaken that is the washer for the new chromoly pivot ball. The dealer should know this already, if they are asking it probably means they didn't replace your pivot ball and instead just kept it! Good Luck!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:41 PM
when i talked to them a second time and they described what it was and talked to coz @ CZP it turned out to be the washer that goes in the center of the flywheel. he was very surprised that the tech couldn't figure that out. Anyway, they called to tell me that the tech didn't feel comfortable installing the aftermarket flywheel/clutch and the foreman said he doesn't want to be responsible if something happens so he told the SA that if i want to do it i'll have to do it elsewhere, they won't take the risk.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I would suggest you replace the throw-out bearing while their at it.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
I would suggest you replace the throw-out bearing while their at it.
yeah, they are replacing the whole oem setup with a new one, thankfully they aren't trying to sell me a flywheel like some dealers do. so i would assume they would change the T.O. bearing too, right? every clutch kit i've ever got came with one so i would think they would defintely give me one here, especially since the dealer is always trying to tack on every little nut and washer they can.
Hopefully since they aren't using the JWT kit they won't take any of the parts out and use them on this

Old 08-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's retarded, they $hitting u. The JWT clutch looks nearly the same as the stock clutch.. and doesn't bolt on any differently.

Trending Topics

Old 08-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
hahahahah

Old 08-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by 2slo2bfurious
That's retarded, they $hitting u. The JWT clutch looks nearly the same as the stock clutch.. and doesn't bolt on any differently.
yeah he said that they didn't want to take the risk because he wasn't comfortable with it and they were liable if anything happened with the car. Which i can understand, the flywheel is different and he needs to take the time to figure out where the pins go, etc. Whatever, maybe i'll do it myself on my nasty gravel driveway in a month or two, or maybe it isn't even worth it

Old 08-22-2008, 02:39 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It might be too late for you, but mann.. I'd be really annoyed if they told me that. I mean if right off the bat, they were like no, then okay. But figuring out pins? They can only go on one specific way that allows for the plate to bolt up... any other way and it won't line up. I can understand about covering their asses, but come on its almost like a stock clutch, and the flywheel goes on sooooo freaking easy... there's even a pin to make sure you don't mess up aligning the timing notches.

You do not want to do it on jackstands unless you have some help and more than 1 jack with wheels... that crap is heavy while u stuck underneath!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by 2slo2bfurious
It might be too late for you, but mann.. I'd be really annoyed if they told me that. I mean if right off the bat, they were like no, then okay. But figuring out pins? They can only go on one specific way that allows for the plate to bolt up... any other way and it won't line up. I can understand about covering their asses, but come on its almost like a stock clutch, and the flywheel goes on sooooo freaking easy... there's even a pin to make sure you don't mess up aligning the timing notches.

You do not want to do it on jackstands unless you have some help and more than 1 jack with wheels... that crap is heavy while u stuck underneath!

Yeah, i might try to do it in a friends garage with some of the large (truck) jack stands. I DO have access to a lift but only at night, and the car absolutely must be off it by like 3am, so i don't wanna risk it if i am missing a piece or something goes wrong. Every time i've done clutches in the past it's been with a lift, i did do one automatic tranny on a gravel driveway last year though