Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Crappy Tranny

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 07:49 PM
English dude, English
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crappy Tranny

Hi, my name is Jon and I am having a problem with the local Infiniti Dealership. I have had my transmission replaced once already and now it is going out again. The first time it was replaced was because 6th gear was grinding even when the clutch was pushed all the way in. They replaced it was they gave me a hard time about it. Now, the second tranny is doing it as well. This time they said that it has got to be my driving style that is causing it. I drive many different ways with this car. A little aggressive at times, but my driving habit has been this way since I started driving 12 years ago. My typical driving to get on the freeway is 1st gear to 5k, 2nd gear to 4 1/2 k, 3rd gear to 3 k and 4th gear to 3k and a quick shift to 6th. The transmission just started grinding last week with this shifting style. I don't think that it is because I am going from 4th to 6th because I tested my drive from 5th to 6 with a quick shift and it grinded as well. If I shift from 4th to 6th or 5th to 6th slowly (and do I mean slowly) then I don't get the grind. I honestly can not believe that this car was meant for slow shifting. Nothing about this car suggests this. If you can think of anything I can do (just short of a lawyer), I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Crappy Tranny

These MT's are notoriously bad; Nissan/Infiniti is on their 5th revision last time i heard (and that was 6 months ago). I do not think it is your driving style at all. Which revision do you have now, (your swapped tranny).

I would suggest going to another dealer. If you are in NorCal, I can make a good recommendation.

Gurgen

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gurgenpb on 05/19/04 05:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 05-19-2004, 08:04 PM
English dude, English

Hi Gurgen, I live in Phoenix, Az. I spoke to you before on the phone. My 1st replaced tranny was about 4 months ago. If this dealership says no it will be because of Infiniti Corp.

Old 05-19-2004, 08:07 PM

I see, i remember now...

I would raise hell, and even pursue lemon law claims against Infiniti. This really sucks... Hope you get it resolved...

Gurgen

Old 05-19-2004, 08:34 PM

Hey Gurgen and Jon,
I just sent Jon a P.M. on what to do and how to pursue trying to resolve the manual tranny issue. Gurgen knows what he is saying and I think he said it best when he said they are notoriously bad. Let me know what happens with it.......Hey Gurgen, how is your car doing? With the rattles?......Vinnie

Infiniti Gearhead

Old 05-19-2004, 10:30 PM

my advice, find someone that also drive a G6MT that never experience the grinding and let him drive your car, if he grinds it once then its your tranny, if he doesnt it might be your driving, sorry.. This is my first manual car and now @22K miles and never experience grinding, I experimented it many times, aggressively sometimes even hitting the rev limiter. I will tell from my experience that when you drive the car cold its a little notchy but if ytou wait until the temp hits the first line it's smooth from 1st all the way to the 6th and not even a single hickup..Also this car has a lot of torque and if you're timing is off at 1st going to 2nd gear you gonna hear the "clicking" sound. It took me 2 months to really know the behaviour of this tranny, my friend who drives a 330CXi never had the clicking sound the 1st time he drove my car..The secret to have a smooth shift from 1st is "dont wait for the throttle all the way up before stepping on the clutch", on normal driving a "quick" blip on the throttle then shifting to 2nd work very smoothly for me..

Old 05-20-2004, 12:15 AM

Hey Vince

The car is doing well, i think I need to let the ECU learn the parameters. However, there is still slight buzzing (better than before), in the seat belt assembly in the top position. Once I got home from the dealership, the front brakes started to squeak. Maybe we can take care of that under warranty when I come back for the door panel. Everything else is good. The car is very strong in the top end but is lacking on the bottom end - I think this is due to the RT cats and a VERY free-flowing exhaust. What do you think? Will see you soon, thanks again.

Gurgen

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gurgenpb on 05/19/04 09:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 05-20-2004, 01:39 AM

Hey Bro,
Try this, that buzzing in the seat belt assy, see if it buzzes going over bumps or if it is tone respondant, like to the sound of the exhaust. I drove over every bump possible and didnt hear anything. Have you had the brakes done before under the warranty? With the grooved rotors on it? I dont know if the warranty will apply to aftermarket rotors. i will ask though.......I am off to bed................C ya

Infiniti Gearhead

Old 05-20-2004, 04:03 AM

Hey I have done the brakes with the aftermarket rotors on, they just changed the pads of course... I am sure it is in the history... The buzzing is tone-respondant... not based on macro vibrations like bumps, road surface, etc. Same as before, just MUCH weaker and less noticeable - but still there... Over bumps, I do not have any rattles....

Gurgen

Old 05-20-2004, 07:56 AM

Hey,
Okay now it is making sense with that buzz noise, try and see what rpm's it does it at or the condition so I can duplicate it in the shop. Cool on the brakes then. Did they turn the rotors? Arent they the grooved rotors on yours?

Infiniti Gearhead

Old 05-20-2004, 11:39 AM

You got PM, Vince, didn;t wanna hijack the thread

Old 05-20-2004, 07:54 PM
English dude, English

Thanks InfinitiTech and Gurgen. Duplicating it is no problem here. When they replaced the tranny, the new one lasted 4 months with NO problems what-so-ever. The service manager is who I deal with. He is the one that said that it was my driving style. He called me back today and said that the tech that is working on it definitely sees something wrong with the tranny but they are going to have to wait until the field rep comes out to look at and decide what they want to do with it. Arrrrrggggh! It's not my shifting. Thanks all.

Old 05-21-2004, 07:34 PM
English dude, English

I called them today (5/21/04 Friday) to find out the status of the car and I was informed that they are ordering another transmission for my car! Yippie!!!!!!! I think. I mean, really now, I have already been through 2 transmissions (the original and the 1st replaced transmission), how many more am I going to have to go through? I have thought about selling the car when this 3rd one is put in then I think how my driving life would be without this car and I can't see owning another car that has been this fun to drive. If I do get rid of it, it will be in Sept when the 05' comes out.

Old 05-26-2004, 07:51 PM
English dude, English

I got my car back today. They replaced the tranny, the clutch assembly, and the flywheel! My $#@ there wasn't something wrong with it! They also apologized this time. Gave me my oil change for free and put new brake pads on the front of the car along with resurfacing the front rotors.

And to top it all off....

A NEW TRANSMISSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I say A NEW TRANSMISSION? Here let me say it one more time! I GOT A NEW TRANSMISSION!!!!!!!! YEY, YEY, YEY!

One noticable difference between this transmission and the other two. On this tranny the car engages so smoothly and the shifting is no longer notchy. The car doesn't stutter at the beginning of each gear. What does this tell me? It feels like my Nissan Sentra 2.0 five speed and my Honda Civic 5 speed. Don't get me wrong, I am not comparing the 3 vehicles at all, but what I am saying is that it appears that they fixed the tranny all together.

Welcome back my friend. :-)

Old 05-26-2004, 08:54 PM

i think infiniti has the worst customer service of any car dealer out there i have 19000 miles on my 03 coupe and have had 3 sets of pads and rotors front and back and the break are sqeeling like crazy dealer tells me that pads need to be worn down to 3 milmeters before they can change them so even though they are under warranty i have to drive around for 2 months with a car sqeeling like crazy
infiniti what a joke ................they are fine as long as you agree with what they say if you disagree with them the treat you like [censored]