Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Matic-J

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 04:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Matic-J

So upon searching I'm finding that only Nissan Matic-J fluid is recommended. Has anyone used anything else, such as RedLine or Royal Purple?

Any problems?

Old 12-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wouldn't use anything but matic-j, nissan will void your warranty if you do not use it.

then again, i have a 6MT, so i don't have to worry about this

Old 12-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
JATCO the transmission manufacturer speced a special slip release curve for the lockup clutch and will not reimburse Nissan if their analysis shows a non comforming ATF was used.

JATCO tests every warranty claim, so dealers are careful to avoid charge backs 6 months later when JATCO completes the tests.

Japanese manufactures are careful about making component manufactures stand up to their part of warranty unlike US companies............why *** and many EU dumped internal tranny manufacture and out sourced it to experts:
JATCO. AISIN AW, ZF............some Chrysler outsourced but to MB made units

Old 12-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Warranty? PFFT what warranty? Its an 03 with 82k miles on it lol.

So again I ask, is there a high performance fluid that anyone prefers over Matic-J?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:29 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
i have yet to find a replacement for J-matic fluid. it's expensive but it's better than using something else and risking your tranny... $100 in fluid is alot cheaper than rebuilding or replacing a transmission...

Old 12-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
speaking of which, where can this fluid be found, my tranns has been acting up, also im all outta warranty as well and dont wanna pay the dealers place, wheres the best spot i could do this maintenance?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Originally Posted by alphamatt
speaking of which, where can this fluid be found, my tranns has been acting up, also im all outta warranty as well and dont wanna pay the dealers place, wheres the best spot i could do this maintenance?
hit up riverside infiniti... they can get it for you at cost. I always got it at cost when i worked for firestone, even then it was like $95 for a case of 12. I think retail is around ~$125

Old 12-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
i have yet to find a replacement for J-matic fluid. it's expensive but it's better than using something else and risking your tranny... $100 in fluid is alot cheaper than rebuilding or replacing a transmission...
I'm not worried about the cost of it; like you said the cost to benefit ratio is there. I'm curious if there's something BETTER.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucky-G
I'm not worried about the cost of it; like you said the cost to benefit ratio is there. I'm curious if there's something BETTER.
There isn't.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:32 AM
A-HAH! Finally, an answer! lol. Thanks Dave!

Old 12-18-2008, 05:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you cant find it for a good price locally you can find it here:

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=3912&rsku=0

FYI: 16qts is what is recommended for a full flush, and will cost you about $160 from this site by the time you add shipping.

I called my local Nissan dealer who quoted me a full flush for $160...

Old 12-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
A-HAH! Finally, an answer! lol. Thanks Dave!
I wasn't trying to be a smartass, but the J-Matic fluid is the spec-d fluid by JATCO as Q45Tech pointed out. None of us know if it's a synthetic based fluid, but since Nissan is VERY specific about which fluid to use, I'd recommend you stick to it.

Most Nissan shops recommend draining the tranny of fluid (about 3.1 QTs) every 30K miles. Doing a full flush, per the spec'd way in the FSM, is very elaborate and Nissan does not recommend using a pump to get the fluid out. I changed my fluid for the first time at around 60K miles. I drained the tranny, added the fluid, and then drove for about a week. Then I drained the tranny again and added fluid. I figured that should have refreshed the fluid enough. I believe the tranny, torque converter, and tranny cooler hold around 9 QTs. According to my owners manual, tranny fluid replacement isn't on the list until 90 or 100K. That seemed excessive to me.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:35 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

lol, didnt get that you were asking that out of your original post... in that case... no, there is nothing better.
-GP-

Old 12-19-2008, 03:37 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Originally Posted by DaveB
I wasn't trying to be a smartass, but the J-Matic fluid is the spec-d fluid by JATCO as Q45Tech pointed out. None of us know if it's a synthetic based fluid, but since Nissan is VERY specific about which fluid to use, I'd recommend you stick to it.

Most Nissan shops recommend draining the tranny of fluid (about 3.1 QTs) every 30K miles. Doing a full flush, per the spec'd way in the FSM, is very elaborate and Nissan does not recommend using a pump to get the fluid out. I changed my fluid for the first time at around 60K miles. I drained the tranny, added the fluid, and then drove for about a week. Then I drained the tranny again and added fluid. I figured that should have refreshed the fluid enough. I believe the tranny, torque converter, and tranny cooler hold around 9 QTs. According to my owners manual, tranny fluid replacement isn't on the list until 90 or 100K. That seemed excessive to me.
that's exactly what i do, Dave... but i did it 3 times just to make sure! it is around 9-10qts.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
JATCO warranties the transmission to Nissan for 100,000 shift cycles. All depend on how many shifts per mile an owner does in driving. Obviously a car driven in temperature long distance drives every day will shift less frequently per mile than one in a cold city commute in traffic.

My commute in ATL has 17 shifts in 10 miles or about 50 per day so the 100,000 shifts are used up in 6.6 years yet my trannies last 7-8 years each due to extraordinary mainteances.
How many shifts per year do members utilize?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Matic-J