Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clicking noise...HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Clicking noise...HELP!

hey everyone...just wondering if anyone else has had this clicking noise, like a chain on a bicycle when changing gears, when shifting gears on the 6mt? i thought it was just because i didnt change my oil after 3 months but I just followed bythebay's DIY and help from others to change it this past weekend but I still have that noise right before i shift gears or when deaccelerating....my fren who has a stickshift 350z also had this issue...thanks in advance for the help.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Does it come from the rear axle area? Mine had a clicking sound that happened when I accelerated or slowed down especially when engaging 1st gear or reversing. Ended up needing the axles rebuilt but it was covered under warranty. I think there's a service bulletin out for it too.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:26 AM
i wonder if that's it...it kinda sounds like a the chain when going up a roller coaster...i pm'd a user here to see if i can see his vid of the axle clicking...i'll try to get a vid of the noise and post it...thank you..

Old 01-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
heres the vid i took like last summer i think
the funny thing is..i dont hear the axle clicking anymore..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3wFbHyM1EJc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3wFbHyM1EJc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 01-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Has to be your rear axle clicking. They just need to regrease it or something like that. Take it to the dealer.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:53 PM
hmmm...thanks for the vid OEM...i'm not sure if it's the axle...it happens when my RPM goes down...once i step on the gas it goes away after a second or 2...or when i change gears...but it will happen again when i start slowing down and my RPM decreases...

Old 01-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Guam671
hmmm...thanks for the vid OEM...i'm not sure if it's the axle...it happens when my RPM goes down...once i step on the gas it goes away after a second or 2...or when i change gears...but it will happen again when i start slowing down and my RPM decreases...
I have the same clicking heard in OEM's video.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:25 AM
more of a rattling noise

oh man..mine is a different noise...i just listened to O HELLA OEM's a bit more and my problem happens when i'm crusing and seem to be in a higher gear that's not matched to my speed...it will eventually stop when i step on the gas and go faster....but will happen again when slowing down but still in a high gear....i'm sorry if my posts are confusing but i just sat in silence while driving home after work today trying to figure when it starts and stops...

Old 01-21-2009, 09:51 PM
O HELLA OEM,

I have the exact same noise. I took it to the dealer in Kansas City. They told me the clicking noise is "normal". It doesnt sound normal to me, but I did get the service manager to sign off on the diagnosis just in case I have to come back in for some major repair associated with it.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not a stickshift genius, and this is my first manual tranny, but mine makes the same clicking noise, and that is not normal.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I have the exact same noise on my car as well....the exact same clicking noise as heard in the video. What is the consensus on fixing this? Must my axles be rebuilt?

Old 04-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep i have the same noise as well.before my clutch gaveout and sticks to the floor.....when i would drive it it would make that click noise when im mainly in first or second gear and reverse....cant wait to see if anyone gets it fixed so i can fix that along with my ****ed up clutch which btw i think its my throwout...not sure though....tryin to find out if anyone knows on here which is how i came across this thread.pm me if you know.thanks.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 PM
Has anybody experienced this problem and fixed it? If so, what is the solution to the problem?

Old 04-17-2009, 12:21 AM
clicking under 11mph is normal, this is the VLSD running the self diagnose check, should be in the manual or fsm but I read it somewhere before, now if it speeds up and slows down with the car, then you might need to replace your axles....

Old 04-23-2009, 09:37 PM
It's funny though, because my car hasn't been doing this the entire time I've owned it. It has been as of recently.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise...HELP!