Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Need advice! cost of clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need advice! cost of clutch replacement

ok so i took my car to the dealership to get a new tranny put in, covered by warranty, and i told them to check the throwout bearing and my clutch since they are already working on the tranny,

well they called me back today and told me that the clutch is worn out and has only 10% left and to have them replace it for me is gonna be $2000+?!?! sounds like too much to me especially since they are already doing most of the work covered by warrenty.. does this seem right??

the car only has 37k miles on it and drove just fine before, well no problems with the clutch just a ticking noise which they figured to be the tranny which is why im getting a new one.. i think the price is rediculous!! and also if the clutch had only 10% life left im pretty sure id be able to notice that when i drive, right?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't get the service done there, I never get anything done at the dealership except for warranty work. Anything else I do myself and document with receipts or keep maintenance receipts from independent shops which offer equal or higher service for less cost.

Order a clutch from one of the vendors on here and find a reputable shop to put it in. Saves you money, and you'll probably end up with something better than OEM as well.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben_G35
ok so i took my car to the dealership to get a new tranny put in, covered by warranty, and i told them to check the throwout bearing and my clutch since they are already working on the tranny,

well they called me back today and told me that the clutch is worn out and has only 10% left and to have them replace it for me is gonna be $2000+?!?! sounds like too much to me especially since they are already doing most of the work covered by warrenty.. does this seem right??

the car only has 37k miles on it and drove just fine before, well no problems with the clutch just a ticking noise which they figured to be the tranny which is why im getting a new one.. i think the price is rediculous!! and also if the clutch had only 10% life left im pretty sure id be able to notice that when i drive, right?
That should be covered under warranty. If not, then they shouldn't charge you much to replace the clutch & flywheel, it's like another 20 minutes max once they have the transmission out. at least this is what I have been told.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
The clutch should be covered by the Infiniti power train warranty. Check
with Nissan and ask them if it isn't covered....37K miles is within the
warranty....damn stealerships! Even if it wasn't covered the
price they're quoting you is waaaaay over reasonable!
Gary

The following users liked this post:
gill1606 (07-27-2014)
Old 03-13-2009, 12:20 AM
clutches are not a warranty item, unless i believe it has a failure. it is a wear item.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ELMACHOGERACHO
clutches are not a warranty item, unless i believe it has a failure. it is a wear item.
Your right they are not warranty item, they are classified as a wear and tear item that is what they will tell you. I took my car to the dealership also to get warranty work done and also asked them to check the throw out bearing because it was making noises, mind you my car was perfect before i took it to them, it didn't slip or anything felt very strong, until i got it back it slipped in every gear no matter what RPM. Take it to a performance shop they should only charge around 1300-1500 for a good clutch and flywheel setup thats installed. Or if you want there is a DIY here that walks you through the step in replacing it.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're BS'ing you. I've seen so many threads like this. It seems like standard operating procedure for Infiniti service depts to advise 6MT owners that their clutch is worn and needs to be replaced. I was told the same thing--over a year ago! I declined the service, and there's no sign of a bad clutch on mine yet. That's with almost 70K miles now. If you're familiar with manual trannies and don't notice any performance issues, I'd say stick with your original clutch for now, as you'll know when it's going bad...

The following users liked this post:
gill1606 (07-27-2014)
Old 03-13-2009, 01:03 PM
ok, it does sound like they're just tryin to get some money out of me. the clutch had no problems before. ill just stick with my clutch. but for the throwout bearing i should still get that replaced right?

thanks for all your help guys!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:04 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow even if it was a clutch job it is only 4.5 hours on alldata. massive rip off

Old 03-13-2009, 03:54 PM
ok here's an update .. i spoke to the dealership today and told them i dont want the clutch and the throwout bearing comes with the new transmission so thats cool. i should be pickin up the car tonight hopefully nothing goes bad after the install.

i read about a couple ppl that after gettin the tranny replaced they actually experienced more problems cuz the dealership did somehting wrong...

Old 03-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I would have researched the min/max disc thickness from the service manual and went down to the dealer to VERIFY the clutch life. Measure it w/ a caliper and then make a decision.

If it's found to be worn, then sit down with the adviser and go have him go though the clutch replacement procedure line by line. THEN subtract all the line items that are duplicated with your tranny warranty work. ie... removal/install of the tranny etc.

You SHOULD only end up with the price of the PP/clutch AND the 36 seconds it take to install it onto the flywheel. There might be a resurfacing charge but that wouldn't be that much either.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I would have researched the min/max disc thickness from the service manual and went down to the dealer to VERIFY the clutch life. Measure it w/ a caliper and then make a decision.

If it's found to be worn, then sit down with the adviser and go have him go though the clutch replacement procedure line by line. THEN subtract all the line items that are duplicated with your tranny warranty work. ie... removal/install of the tranny etc.

You SHOULD only end up with the price of the PP/clutch AND the 36 seconds it take to install it onto the flywheel. There might be a resurfacing charge but that wouldn't be that much either.

Ya that would be good, but then i'd have to take time off work and not make money to go listen to their BS.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Did you ask them what was covered by the $2000 cost estimate? My guess was they had a new flywheel in there as well because it's technically a non-serviceable item. The clutch kit is relatively cheap ($300-400), but the flywheel is usually $1200-1300. Dual mass flywheels FTL.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Ben_G35

I've gotten my tranny changed twice now under warranty at my dealership...the 1st time they recommended clutch replacement but it was like 1600 so i said no...the second time they told me I had to get my clutch and flywheel changed or they wouldn't warranty the new tranny...I told them 1600 for the stock setup was ridiculous and decided to go aftermarket and take my chances...I paid them 100 dollars to install it for me while they were putting in the tranny....Since you have low miles..find out if they are just recommending it or they won't give you a warranty....If they are not going to give you a warranty unless you replace your clutch and flywheel...it should be around 1600 bucks, parts only...you shouldn't have to pay for labor....

Old 03-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by x_matic2008
I've gotten my tranny changed twice now under warranty at my dealership...the 1st time they recommended clutch replacement but it was like 1600 so i said no...the second time they told me I had to get my clutch and flywheel changed or they wouldn't warranty the new tranny...I told them 1600 for the stock setup was ridiculous and decided to go aftermarket and take my chances...I paid them 100 dollars to install it for me while they were putting in the tranny....Since you have low miles..find out if they are just recommending it or they won't give you a warranty....If they are not going to give you a warranty unless you replace your clutch and flywheel...it should be around 1600 bucks, parts only...you shouldn't have to pay for labor....
so i got my car back and its still makin the same noise and the tranny is kinda rough, like 1st and 6th gear are hard to get into i have to "force" it into gear. is that normal? and why did you get your tranny changed twice?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need advice! cost of clutch replacement