Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

exedy or ACT clutch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exedy or ACT clutch?

so i took my car to the dealership because my tranny seems to grind when shifting and they're telling me its not the tranny but instead its the pressure plate going out...my clutch pedal feel consistantly changes and my clutch fluid isn't leaking so it makes sense to me that it could be the pressure plate so its time for a clutch job...

so my question is which should i go with, exedy or act? i dont want too much chatter which is why i'm staying away from JWT. anyone have any experience with exedy? does it last? i hear great things about ACT but damn $1050 for the clutch and flywheel? i was looking at the nismo stuff but they're even more expensive and a little harder to find...any input is appreciated

Old 03-30-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm in the same situation my clutch is going and needs to be replaced.

I've decided to go with the ACT heavy duty clutch/prolight flywheel combo. From all of the research I did I found that the ACT clutch/flywheel always received good reviews. Also in regards to chatter I think the chromoly flywheels make less noise so that is something to consider. I paid $1K ordered from Z-1 performance, the product is currently being shipped. I know it is a little more expensive than other setups, however for something I drive everyday and enjoy I figured it was worth the extra money.

I'm curious to know as well if anyone has in comments on the ACT setup so I can know what to expect.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:42 PM
yeah all i reviews i've read have been very positive on ACT..i was thinking of going with the streetlite flywheel with the hd street clutch...just to get the least amount of chatter but after reading the prolite description, i might just go that route. let me know how that works out for you

Old 03-31-2009, 09:26 PM
I'll let you know should have it installed some time next week....hopefully.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:35 PM
hey iron man,

ever get ur clutch installed? how are you liking it? i didnt get a chance to ask but did you get the full face (street) clutch? reving any faster with the prolite flywheel?

Old 04-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Yes the ACT clutch / flywheel has been installed for close to 2 weeks now. I was going to wait until it is fully broken in (400-500 miles) before posting but I guess I will go ahead and post my thoughts.

I have the ACT prolight (13.2 lbs) flywheel and heavy duty street clutch (NZ1 - HDSS).

I will start off with drivability. When I first picked it up from the dealership and started to drive off I could tell it was going to take some getting use to because if you do not give it enough gas it will not go. It is not extreme or anything you just have to give it a little more gas before it takes off. Once you are going there is no problem at all. My first day driving with it through traffic was a little tricky, however at this point I am completly use to it. Before I purchased the combo I had talked to someone at ACT corp. and the guy thought the prolight was going to be too difficult to drive daily, I disagree completely I have no issues with it at all. Also I let my younger brother drive it and he had no problems driving it whatsoever.

Chatter/Noise. I was a little worried that the chatter was going to be really bad but that is not the case. When I first picked it up the tech drove it around and left it running in neutral as I walked up I noticed no loud chatter, and I was listening to see if I could hear it. I honestly could not tell any difference between stock. I will say that my stock clutch had been getting really bad so it was making more noise than normal so I was kind of use to a little more chatter. I drove around on some very empty backroads with the windows down /no radio and I did not notice any loud chatter while sitting at idle, foot off clutch. The real test though is in the garage. In my garage I do notice the chatter but it is pretty close to the same noise level as the stock setup.

During slow start offs I do get the chatter noise when below 2K rpm or so but it is not bad. I guess I should mention that I have a Stillen exhaust so between that and the radio the sound is pretty much drowned out.

Shifting. The car shifts faster and a lot smoother. I can esp. tell when shifting between 3-6 gears it feels like it falls into gear.

Ok the fun part Performance. I can not say too much yet because I am shifting at 3-3.5K rpm which is tough with a 3.91 final drive, I'm shifting out of 1st and 2nd about the second I let off the clutch. What I can tell is that the car feels so much lighter and sportier. It feels like it lost a lot of weight where it counts, I love the way it drives now. Also it seems like I'm picking up speed a lot easier in 5th and 6th. For example I'll be driving around in fifth or sixth just giving it a little bit of gas and it I'll climb to 70 or so before I know it. It is kind of subtle but I will be driving along at think man I'm at 70 already...just feels like the car is working a lot less to get there...I guess is the best way to describe it.

So at this point I am at about 350 miles and can not wait to open it up. It has been brutal not being able to fully test it out.

I'll try to report back once it has been fully broken in to give more perspective on the performance gains.

I hope this helps if you have any questions let me know.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by snou52
so i took my car to the dealership because my tranny seems to grind when shifting and they're telling me its not the tranny but instead its the pressure plate going out...my clutch pedal feel consistantly changes and my clutch fluid isn't leaking so it makes sense to me that it could be the pressure plate so its time for a clutch job...

so my question is which should i go with, exedy or act? i dont want too much chatter which is why i'm staying away from JWT. anyone have any experience with exedy? does it last? i hear great things about ACT but damn $1050 for the clutch and flywheel? i was looking at the nismo stuff but they're even more expensive and a little harder to find...any input is appreciated
I just installed an exedy stage 1 clutch and man the chatter is bad, not sure if that is due to the stock machined fly wheel, but almost everyone i talked to said if you dont have the dough, the stock flywheel should be fine. But mind you the clutch was just put in and not broken in at all, I'm getting used to it, and I'm appreciating the clutch aggressively catching it does make a difference when driving the car as i'm climbing to speeds better then i did with my stock clutch, but I'm hoping all this chatter will go down once it breaks in. anyone know what the break in period is around, like how many miles or KM's it will take?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by snou52
yeah all i reviews i've read have been very positive on ACT..i was thinking of going with the streetlite flywheel with the hd street clutch...just to get the least amount of chatter but after reading the prolite description, i might just go that route. let me know how that works out for you
hey where did you get the clear corners from ??

And have you looked at giken or centerforce.. My clutch is really heavy on the pedal i want it to be butter.. now im thinking its either the clutch fluid if im lucky or its the whole setup.. cylinders bearings pins discs ect... can someone give me some advise on which setup has the lightest KG pressure plate if thats going to make the pedal force lighter or not

Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by songman9111
I just installed an exedy stage 1 clutch and man the chatter is bad, not sure if that is due to the stock machined fly wheel, but almost everyone i talked to said if you dont have the dough, the stock flywheel should be fine. But mind you the clutch was just put in and not broken in at all, I'm getting used to it, and I'm appreciating the clutch aggressively catching it does make a difference when driving the car as i'm climbing to speeds better then i did with my stock clutch, but I'm hoping all this chatter will go down once it breaks in. anyone know what the break in period is around, like how many miles or KM's it will take?
i have the exedy stage 1 with the machined stock flywheel and its been broken in and the chatter is still loud as ever haha. it doesnt bother me my evo was even worse so i guess im used to it.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by teamspink20
i have the exedy stage 1 with the machined stock flywheel and its been broken in and the chatter is still loud as ever haha. it doesnt bother me my evo was even worse so i guess im used to it.
really it doesn't go away? man it's getting really annoying, I'm actually thinking of going back to stock. it feels like my G35 is falling apart

Old 05-01-2009, 03:03 PM
ehh doesnt bother me much i dont even notice it anymore. im very happy with the clutch though im glad i got it

Old 05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by teamspink20
ehh doesnt bother me much i dont even notice it anymore. im very happy with the clutch though im glad i got it
yeah the clutch pulls when i'm going but still I dont like the noises..meh