Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Tranny issue or Clutch issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny issue or Clutch issue?

all of a sudden, one morning when i get into my car, ready to go to school, i was hearing loud weird noises when i was letting go the clutch in reverse. sounded like a whirring noise. then it wouldnt go away until i pressed the clutch back all in the way in. then later on it kept on happening ONLY when it was cold.

At the same time when this started happening, my car felt very different when driving. When i come to stop and go on 2nd gear, most of the time it feels like im not accelerating normally but i can hear my car rev for like 1 second then it would go back to normal acceleration. in 3rd gear is the worst. when im in 3rd gear it takes about 2-2.5 seconds to go back to normal acceleration. 4th gear isn't as bad, its like the 2nd gear.

Could this be my transmission that is faulty or my clutch? My engagement point on my clutch is actually about .5 inch away from letting go the clutch all the way. i can push in the clutch about 1.5 inches and i would be able to change gears.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willcho415
all of a sudden, one morning when i get into my car, ready to go to school, i was hearing loud weird noises when i was letting go the clutch in reverse. sounded like a whirring noise. then it wouldnt go away until i pressed the clutch back all in the way in. then later on it kept on happening ONLY when it was cold.
Sounds like the throw out bearing.

At the same time when this started happening, my car felt very different when driving. When i come to stop and go on 2nd gear, most of the time it feels like im not accelerating normally but i can hear my car rev for like 1 second then it would go back to normal acceleration. in 3rd gear is the worst. when im in 3rd gear it takes about 2-2.5 seconds to go back to normal acceleration. 4th gear isn't as bad, its like the 2nd gear.
Sounds like the clutch is slipping or the slave cylinder isnt working right.

Could this be my transmission that is faulty or my clutch? My engagement point on my clutch is actually about .5 inch away from letting go the clutch all the way. i can push in the clutch about 1.5 inches and i would be able to change gears.
probably time for a new clutch assembly, check for air in the system and check the slave cylinder.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolf1
Sounds like the throw out bearing.

Sounds like the clutch is slipping or the slave cylinder isnt working right.

probably time for a new clutch assembly, check for air in the system and check the slave cylinder.
hey thx but how can i check for the slave cyl. ??