Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

are gear oils all the same?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
are gear oils all the same?

I know some have different types of fiction mods but wouldn't they all perform roughly the same? I ask because a lot of people here run redline 75w90, i cant seem to located a place local that stocks it, called autozone, pepboys, murrays a couple of shops. They all carry like mobil1, amsoil and royal purple.

i guess this argument of them being all the same is very similiar to which brand of oil to use. I'm thinking at this point to just go grab a couple bottles of mobil 1 and run that for my front and rear diffs.

also what is used for the transfer cases?

Old 04-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For your diff, just make sure it's a GL-5 based oil and you'll be fine. Infiniti recommends 80W90. But, you could go with a 75W90.

For your transfer case, this is straight out of the FSM:

"Genuine NISSAN Matic D ATF (Continental U.S. and Alaska) or Canada NISSAN Automatic Transmission Fluid"

-Jerome

Old 04-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 6MTFTW
For your diff, just make sure it's a GL-5 based oil and you'll be fine. Infiniti recommends 80W90. But, you could go with a 75W90.

For your transfer case, this is straight out of the FSM:

"Genuine NISSAN Matic D ATF (Continental U.S. and Alaska) or Canada NISSAN Automatic Transmission Fluid"

-Jerome
Matic D is incorrect fluid for use in any G35/G37. When you pop open the hood there should be a label on the left side over the radiator that states the correct fluid to use. Nissan no longer makes matic J though, so now you must use the super expensive matic S fluid or go with an aftermarket matic-j equivalent such as the Amsoil ATF.

For the rear differential, go with the Amsoil SVG for the best wear characteristics.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
For the rear differential, go with the Amsoil SVG for the best wear characteristics.
I don't know much about ATF other than put it in the power steering, but X2 on the Amsoil Severe Gear.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I use Royal Purple 75W-90 Gear Oil in the differential. Good stuff.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:19 AM
So i can run the J-matic in the transfer case as well ? I have about 6 quarts left so this is a good thing =)

I might just run with royal purple this time around and see whats up.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I think with an open differential the friction modifier is not as important since you don't have an LSD.

With a diff with an LSD, the amount of friction mod additive does control how much or how little the friction disks in the limited slip grip.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
Matic D is incorrect fluid for use in any G35/G37. When you pop open the hood there should be a label on the left side over the radiator that states the correct fluid to use. Nissan no longer makes matic J though, so now you must use the super expensive matic S fluid or go with an aftermarket matic-j equivalent such as the Amsoil ATF.

Matic D is the correct fluid for the TRANSFER CASE on the AWD X. As Jerome said, the factory service manual calls for this also. Matic J/S is the correct fluid for the transmission. Matic D is basically Dexron III fluid, so any Dexron III fluid will work.

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
I know some have different types of fiction mods but wouldn't they all perform roughly the same? I ask because a lot of people here run redline 75w90, i cant seem to located a place local that stocks it, called autozone, pepboys, murrays a couple of shops. They all carry like mobil1, amsoil and royal purple.

i guess this argument of them being all the same is very similiar to which brand of oil to use. I'm thinking at this point to just go grab a couple bottles of mobil 1 and run that for my front and rear diffs.

also what is used for the transfer cases?
I personally use Redline D4 in the transfer case and Redline 75W90 in both the front and rear differentials. Redline D6 would also be acceptable in the transfer case and Redline 75W90NS would work in the differentials on the X because they are open differentials. 75W90NS would NOT work in the vehicles with a LSD without the additive.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:15 AM
thanks midnight again for more info on fluids.

GL-4 and GL-5 fluids. i've seen some brands offer gear oil Gl4/GL5 like mobil1, then i come across redline and they offer a MT90 which is a GL4 based and then a 75w90NS which is a GL5 based. Amsoil is a GL5 only base.

Either way, i cant find redline locally at my stores and i'm going to a performance shop tomorrow for my brake pads, They carry Amsoil so i'm going to grab 2 bottles of that. So all that is left is TRANSFER CASE. which if they carry it ATF amsoil i'll probably get that rather then running around.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are Redline gear oil's not too far from me but I am too lazy to drive there.

Ended up with Mobile 1 75w90 gear oil and Matic D for transfer case.
Bought 3 quarts of Mobile 1. So far, I've used about a little over 1.25 quarts for the rear differential.

Just like everyone else, the drain plug on the differential collected alot of gunk and the drained fluids STINK.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm changing the oil in me 6mt today with AMSOIL 80W90. I wouldn't use LSD oil in the transmission because of friction modifiers... just because.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
thanks midnight again for more info on fluids.

GL-4 and GL-5 fluids. i've seen some brands offer gear oil Gl4/GL5 like mobil1, then i come across redline and they offer a MT90 which is a GL4 based and then a 75w90NS which is a GL5 based. Amsoil is a GL5 only base.

Either way, i cant find redline locally at my stores and i'm going to a performance shop tomorrow for my brake pads, They carry Amsoil so i'm going to grab 2 bottles of that. So all that is left is TRANSFER CASE. which if they carry it ATF amsoil i'll probably get that rather then running around.
GL-4 is actually an obsolete spec but Nissan and a few others still require it for their manual transmissions. Do not use GL-4 in a differential, GL-5 is what you want.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 AM
Redline products shouldnt be that difficult to locate, any hot rod shop should stock as well as most serious 4wd shops.

Found mine at local hot rod shop like $12 a bottle (MTL / MT90) GL-4 for my Spec v w/ LSD.

just my 2cents

Old 04-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
I use RedLine MTL and MT-90 50/50 mix in my tranny.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Is there any issue with using GL-5 80w-140 I mean I know its not ideal but is it going to damage anything?

I've heard you may lose a bit of hp but ive also heard it lubricates the gears much better and handles heat better. Is this true or all rubbish?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: are gear oils all the same?