Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Valve Body Upgrades / Shiftkits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How do you downshift hard in D? You mean let it shift itself?

I love to go into lake runs/twisties where i'm constantly shifting 2-3-4 and 4-3-2. I don't want to have CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK.. Everytime I shift.. Will this happen?

I also like racing with friends and I always downshift into 2nd/3rd for races.. Will my tranny get shocked?

I don't really care about D since I'm in MM about 95% of the time.. Its triptronic always for me.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, while you go cruising if you step on it, the tranny will downshift hard from 5th to 3rd. That's when I feel the clunk every time. I have never felt it in MM neither from 5th to 4th nor from 4th to 3rd in D.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:25 PM
So does it clunk at at all in MM? what if you're in 4th and you do the quick double tap to jump to 2nd.. Is the clunk there?

Old 09-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by officerdbag
So does it clunk at at all in MM?
I hadn't felt it yet.

what if you're in 4th and you do the quick double tap to jump to 2nd.. Is the clunk there?
I haven't had the need of doing this, but I sure it would depend of the RPMs and the speed you are going at that time.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by mesias
Like that but harder!
come to think of it my car does this also in MM from 3-2 or 2-1. It did this with the Stillen VB I haven't done it with the Transgo and don't want to. The transgo downshifts alot harder than the Stillen.

The Stillen scared me made me think i should see my tranny on the ground in the rear view. I pretty sure the Transgo would be alot harder.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:41 PM
So would you guys recommend strengthened engine and tranny mounts or something? Maybe an engine damper?

Old 09-20-2009, 11:19 PM
The clunk has nothing to do with the engine or mounts, it "feels" like the internals of the tranny firmly getting into gear.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:06 AM
Well if its described like that downshift into first at low speeds then I'm pretty sure its fvcking up engine and tranny mounts.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Well if its described like that downshift into first at low speeds then I'm pretty sure its fvcking up engine and tranny mounts.
the clunk is the way mesias is saying like the gears are firmer not slipping into gear.

I was describing the downshift when in mm from 3-2 and 2-1 it's rough without a shift kit.

I don't know how it is with the 05 and above G's since they have rev matching 03 and 04 don't have this feature.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Dsskyline
... I don't know how it is with the 05 and above G's since they have rev matching 03 and 04 don't have this feature.
That's something to consider as well with this clunking thing. I never thought about it.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Anyone with 05-06 Transgo having any clunking issue? I'm about to have this done and DO NOT want to make my trans worse. Its fine the way it is now but since I'm going FI this year I understand I'm going to need to have this mod installed anyway.

So far I've read 2 people say they have clunking and 2 say they don't? Can something within the install process be the cause of the clunk issue?

This is something worth exploring for those of us who have 5ATs and want to go this route. For the most part I drive my car pretty soft and don't redline my car. If it shifts hard when I drive hard I can understand that but if it shifts hard when I drive soft or cruise then that is something I don't want to deal with....

Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
for everyone in this thread I have had my GTM VB Installed on my car for almost 40k miles now and I dont ever ride in D anymore...I only drive the car in MM. I do this because I control the RPM Range at which I Shift and down-shift into gears....if I do shift down gears without applying some gas to make the shift smoother..(kind of like reving up when shifting down) it will def have the clunking sound. sometimes the Clunk can be very violent and def worry some but I have grown to live with it. I cannot drive at all in D and go WOT....that really scares me when it shifts into gear...its a break-neck shift majority of the time. I have had my VB when I was Forced Induction and N/A....no complaints whatsoever you just have to get used to it.

here is a video of my car currently when shifting first and second..you can hear the chirp from 1st to second in the video.

here is another shift from 1st to second:

Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by g35man04
for everyone in this thread I have had my GTM VB Installed on my car for almost 40k miles now and I dont ever ride in D anymore...I only drive the car in MM. I do this because I control the RPM Range at which I Shift and down-shift into gears....if I do shift down gears without applying some gas to make the shift smoother..(kind of like reving up when shifting down) it will def have the clunking sound. sometimes the Clunk can be very violent and def worry some but I have grown to live with it. I cannot drive at all in D and go WOT....that really scares me when it shifts into gear...its a break-neck shift majority of the time. I have had my VB when I was Forced Induction and N/A....no complaints whatsoever you just have to get used to it.

here is a video of my car currently when shifting first and second..you can hear the chirp from 1st to second in the video.

here is another shift from 1st to second:

What happens when you feather the throttle? Does the car still jerk between shifts? Or are the stiff shifts a result of how aggressive you're driving at the time?

I want to do this upgrade next but am afraid of super jerky shifts. I used to manage an Enterprise rent a car office a few years ago and we used to have this Nissan Sentra I HATED driving bc it had shifts from hell. Your damn neck & back would hurt after a while.

I love how my car shifts now...not too harsh not too soft. I just wanted to speed up the shifts & wonder if there's a vb out there that will give stock level shift feel with faster gear shifting capability

Here's my car now...

I just wanted to speed up the shifting...you can already see I drive like a grandpa sometimes ( video included )...

Would the GTM VB still shift with a hard jerkiness if I drive and shift like I was in the video or would it be softer depending on RPM range and throttle position at the time of shift?

Last edited by tiguy99; 02-04-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Subscribed! I'm interested in other's opinions as well. I've been planning on getting the transgo vb kit for some added fun, but this is the first time reading about people having clunking sounds with it. In all the reviews I've read on it, everyone says you can't even feel it under normal driving, but that you can really feel it under hard driving, which is perfectly fine with me. I just hope it isn't so rough with just normal driving.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by mesias
Transgo hands down!

Let me ask you a question: When you go on the highway lets say at 50 - 60 mph If you decide to step on the gas (WOT), how you tranny reacts? Do you hear a hard "clunck" when down shift to 3rd?

That happens to me evrytime i shift in manual mode at about 3k rpm +
my g35 only has 15k miles on it so i didnt really think of it much

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Valve Body Upgrades / Shiftkits