Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch noise/feedback, questions. (Not the flywheel issue)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010 | 11:59 AM
|
Clutch noise/feedback, questions. (Not the flywheel issue)

Sup gents,

I've done some searching around on here and can't find anyone else who's had anything relatively close to the same thing I've got going here so I'm going to throw this out and see what feedback I can get.

Car stats: 06 Coupe 6spd
Bone stock save for rims w/ 75k+ mileage. I bought it about a month ago and immediately took it in and had all the engine and transmission serviced just to be on the safe side due to the high mileage by a friend who's a tech at a nissan dealership.

I didn't notice it at first seeing as it had been awhile since I'd driven a stick, but on the way back up from the shop, I noticed that when the clutch is engaging I get a slight vibration and noise from the clutch itself as well as the pedal.

From outside of the car it doesn't sound horrible but it's still making noise, which irks me, like metal on metal slapping together, just not as harsh as that statement sounds.. Almost like a piece of the friction plate on the clutch is broken or something. You can hear it spinning and hitting something as I let the clutch out but once the clutch is fully engaged it goes away.

I don't know all that much about clutches to be honest. I just need some input. I'm planning on replacing it but have been procrastinating because the actual performance of the car isn't effected by it. No slippage, grabs pretty quickly, etc etc. It works fine.. It's just that, having driven my fair share of sticks, I know it's not normal.

Friends have said it could be the throw-out bearing going out or a multitude of other things. Figured I'd come to the rest of the G drivers out there and get some input on it.. Perhaps some input on a good choice for replacing it.

Old 02-15-2010 | 02:51 PM
normal clutch chatter.

Old 02-16-2010 | 04:44 PM
|
Originally Posted by A.Chambers
normal clutch chatter.
Normal clutch chatter includes knocking feedback in the pedal?

Old 02-17-2010 | 04:44 PM
I don't know if I have the same clutch issue as you... perhaps it's related? But just recently, I've been noticing that when I push down on my clutch it makes a subtle clicking noise. I mean, like in your case, the performance of my car hasn't been affected... however, it does bug me. I actually brought my car into the dealership and inquired about it. They took a look at it, drove it around and said that it's time to replace the clutch, flywheel, etc... (they're probably scamming, since I am a chick... but who knows) anyway, they gave me an estimate of $2500!!! So I took my car to a regular mechanic and had him drive it around... guess what he said? He said that everything seems to be fine and that the clutch doesn't need to be replaced yet. So I'm holding off on the whole thing... and slightly off topic, is clutch replacement for our cars supposed to be THAT expensive? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Mahalo.

Old 02-18-2010 | 02:59 PM
|
I could see it being 2500 from a dealer for both clutch AND flywheel.. Not just clutch though. It's not like this is some newfangled technology that only certain people are trained to fix or replace.

Outside of that.. I'm looking into clutch/flywheel package deals as well as shops in my local area for when that eventual time when I -do- need to replace it comes.

Old 02-18-2010 | 03:45 PM
The stock dual mass flywheel is $1200 and labor runs about $700 so that means the stock clutch would be around $600. Sounds right to me. I think your problem is either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder.

Does it make and audible click or is it more that you feel a notch or bump when pressing and releasing the pedal maybe 3/4 the way up from the bottom?

What year is your car? Slave cylinders seem to be a pretty common problem on the earlier models. I had mine replaced last month.

Old 02-18-2010 | 05:18 PM
yea i have a small noise from mine to. if im in N and just sitting there running i can hear it, very faint but ican hear it when i push the pedal in it goes away. a friend of mine also said throw out bearing to but im not sure my car has 30k on it so. i dont know goint to be replacing it soon anway cause it does slip somtimes. but i also have a charger on mine. dont know not really worried about it. but if someone knows about what were talkin about and knows the problem feel free to lets us know..... thxs

Old 02-18-2010 | 06:09 PM
thats normal chatter. When I replaced my clutch and throw out bearing, it dissapeared but after 1000 miles its back, just not as loud as it was before.

Old 02-19-2010 | 06:24 PM
Thanks for all the input!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post!

A. Chambers - Thanks for the price/parts breakdown, btw. Good to know! So you think it might be a master or slave cylinder issue? How much do those cost to fix/replace? And yes, the noise is audible when I push the clutch down (especially when I first push the clutch in to start the car); it doesn't happen every single time, but it happens enough to where I notice it. I do not feel any notch or bump, though, when I press/release the pedal. I drive a 2005 G35 and it has about 55k on it so far. Any thoughts?

Old 02-19-2010 | 07:47 PM
hummm, if you arent feeling a small notch or bump feeling it may not be either of those. Hard to tell without hearing it.

Slave cylinder cost me $176 at the dealership, not sure what a master cylinder would run.

Old 02-20-2010 | 01:03 PM
|
The stock dual mass flywheel is $1200 and labor runs about $700 so that means the stock clutch would be around $600. Sounds right to me. I think your problem is either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder.

Does it make and audible click or is it more that you feel a notch or bump when pressing and releasing the pedal maybe 3/4 the way up from the bottom?

What year is your car? Slave cylinders seem to be a pretty common problem on the earlier models. I had mine replaced last month.
The noise/feeling starts when the pedal is about 3/4 of the way out from the floor, right where it begins to engage, and feels like.. It's hard to explain. Just a knock, not loud, but definitely noticeable from both inside and outside of the car. I'm driving an 06 6mt coupe.

Old 02-21-2010 | 09:31 PM
get down and look at the clutch pedal, you will see a big spring and a piston (thats attached to the master cylinder) push the clutch in with your hand. Is the click coming from somewhere in here? Or is the sound coming from outside the car? Mine used to have notchiness in the same place, after the slave cylinder was replaced, it went away.

Old 02-24-2010 | 05:09 AM
Thank you!

get down and look at the clutch pedal, you will see a big spring and a piston (thats attached to the master cylinder) push the clutch in with your hand. Is the click coming from somewhere in here? Or is the sound coming from outside the car? Mine used to have notchiness in the same place, after the slave cylinder was replaced, it went away.
I guess it doesn't hurt for me to take a look at it as well... maybe Synapt and I have a similar issue. I appreciate your help! Thanks!!