Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Rear Subframe Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back from the dead, again.

Has anyone had any luck having this bushing replaced under the basic OR powertrain warranty?

Thanks.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
Anyone!?

Old 11-27-2013, 01:31 AM
Bump again.

Brought my 04 G35 into the dealer for my 90k check up. Of course, I had about a million things that needed to be fixed, but the most expensive fix was this "Rear subframe bushings leaking and cracked" that was going to cost me $2,300. I took my car to another tech who quoted $900 for the part and labor.

I know zilch about cars (I know.. I am a terrible person :X).. but I don't understand the huge difference in price. From what I have gathered on this thread, the dealership will swap out the entire subframe instead of just pressing in new bushings? How does the process work, exactly? Take off the subframe, rip out the messed up bushings, press in new bushings, then reattach the subframe? Sorry if this sounds dumb... I am literally clueless.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Happy holidays.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:14 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GothicToast
Brought my 04 G35 into the dealer for my 90k check up. Of course, I had about a million things that needed to be fixed, but the most expensive fix was this "Rear subframe bushings leaking and cracked" that was going to cost me $2,300. I took my car to another tech who quoted $900 for the part and labor.

I know zilch about cars (I know.. I am a terrible person :X).. but I don't understand the huge difference in price. From what I have gathered on this thread, the dealership will swap out the entire subframe instead of just pressing in new bushings? How does the process work, exactly? Take off the subframe, rip out the messed up bushings, press in new bushings, then reattach the subframe? Sorry if this sounds dumb... I am literally clueless.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Happy holidays.
in a nutshell thats basically it. its just a bit labor intensive to drop the subframe since diff and driveshaft etc need to come off too.

The following users liked this post:
GothicToast (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 07:02 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
You don't need to drop the whole subframe to replace the diff bushings. That would make it easier, once it's out, but getting it out of the car outweighs the difficulty of replacing the bushings while it's still in the car, imo. I went through this a couple months ago and it wasn't easy, but it wasn't worth almost a grand to have someone else do it either. There are a couple of good writeups on my350 but in a nutshell you can loosen and lower the rear of the subframe by removing the cross brace that holds it's bolts in (and two more that attach to the body) and then loosening the rear bolts. Loosening up the fronts a couple turns helps and it will sag from the back giving you more room to swing a hammer or work a sawzall. Cutting out the old bushing is the best bet I found if you're not pulling the whole subframe out. Definitely have some beer on hand and some alcoholic mechanically inclined friends (bonus points if they owe you favors, you'll be in debt to them otherwise).

As to the dealership question - I have heard stories (that I can't immediately verify for accuracy) that they will actually replace the entire subframe rather than just do a bushing replacement. So if you look under the car and see the rear differential, the aluminum cross brace it bolts into (where the leaking bushing is) is a part of the subframe, you can follow it around to each side of the car and where it connects in the rear of the vehicle basically making a large square. They may try to replace the entire thing. If I remember right (unless it's changed recently) there's no part available for just the bushing from the dealerships, their only option of what they have to work with is dropping the whole subframe and swapping it for a new one.

To anyone else doing it, unless you're very serious about performance I'd recommend the poly bushings (whiteline, energy suspension, etc. etc.) over the SPL solids if you're going to do the install yourself. If you don't really need the performance of solids save yourself the trouble of the install. I did the SPLs and I'm VERY happy with them now that the install is done, but it was a bit of a pain.

The following 2 users liked this post by OBsessed:
GothicToast (11-27-2013), qmoney06 (01-10-2014)
Old 11-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Wow, thank you for such a detailed response.

I have literally no experience working on cars, not do I have the tools to do the work. Eventually, I will start to play around in there.. But this does not appear to be that time.

With that said, and assuming the dealership HAS to replace the entire subframe because it's one piece.. That doesn't necessarily mean that anything other than the bushings need to be replaced, correct? Basically what I am trying to figure out is "Am I cutting corners by just having the bushings replaced for $1300 less?" The car's performance and longevity are more important to me than the extra $1,300.. But if replacing the entire subframe is completely unnecessary, then I would rather save that money.

Edit: Just talked to my tech. He said my subframe does not need to be replaced, but that I can't just replace the bushings either. He said I have to buy the entire "rods" which include the bushings. He says those parts are only available from the dealer and that they cost $600-$700. Add on $200-$300 for the labor. What are these "rods" he is talking about and why has no one else in this thread talked about them?

Edit #2: The rods I mentioned in my previous edit are called lower compression rods. $366 each. Is this fair and correct?

Last edited by GothicToast; 11-30-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:49 PM
So I bought the SPL solid bushing kit from Z1 and haven't installed them yet. I'm thinking of trying this out myself at my friends shop but I also have the Rear Active Steering. I was planning on just taking the Rear Diff out but wondering how hard is this going to be with the RAS system?

Old 11-29-2013, 12:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Going with SPL solid diff bushing and solid subframe bushings, here's some pics of what could happen, well happened to me

Rear Subframe Fluid Leak-forumrunner_20131129_001328.jpg

Rear Subframe Fluid Leak-forumrunner_20131129_001400.jpg

Rear Subframe Fluid Leak-forumrunner_20131129_001427.jpg

Highly recommend changing them

Old 12-04-2013, 07:29 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Holy mother of god, what the hell happened?

Old 12-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Wheel hop and it gave out, sucks

Old 01-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This happened on the stock bushings?

Originally Posted by VQ40DET
Going with SPL solid diff bushing and solid subframe bushings, here's some pics of what could happen, well happened to me

Attachment 163385

Attachment 163386

Attachment 163387

Highly recommend changing them

Old 01-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Yea stock bushings, didn't last long lol

Old 03-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy *****

Originally Posted by VQ40DET
Yea stock bushings, didn't last long lol
Are there any other weak points of the car being exposed @ 600rwhp? Are the transmission and differential ok after that catastrophe? and what about the driveline??? Any ideas on going with an aftermarket solution with serviceable U-Joints?

Last edited by murderface; 03-01-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^the axles/half-shafts are the weakest part. Adding a differential brace would definitely help too. The diff and the driveshaft can handle decent power, but an aftermarket carbon-fiber driveshaft is also an option.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Are you saying that happened with the solid bushing?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Subframe Fluid Leak