Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch fix spring removal mod diy complete!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Clutch fix spring removal mod diy complete!

Okay guys i finished the mod today. It took me about an hour to do it but only because i took my time and made sure i was meticulous with everything. Not to mention had a sandwich or 2 in between.

Anyway, job came out great and was a perfect success. It will realistically take about 20-30 minutes to complete. I drove around on it for about 15 to 20 miles. The feeling is a hundred times better. I was actually amazed at the difference i felt.

Keep in mind though guys this isnt to make your car faster but it will make it a little more responsive if your a good driver because you will have a better feel for the clutch and pressure plate. The shifting is much much smoother and transitions through the gears way easier. There is slightly more pressure needed to get the clutch peddle down but nothing you wont adapt to within a couple minutes or miles. I actually like the extra pressure because you can feel it better. For those of you guys who have the 6MT, your gonna love the feeling. Its like driving your car for the first time again (IMO).

With that all said, here is a DIY video i have posted to Youtube for all to view. Its my first DIY video so its not perfect and i sound half slow. lol If you guys need any help, please feel free to PM me.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It says your video is private.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Okay, sorry about that, it should be good now!

Old 10-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It loooks easy to remove but hard to install back lol. Good DIY.
Hey, when you said this DIY will make a little responsive, what becomes more responsive?
more faster clutch grab which could result to chirp chirp ?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
What exactly is this going to do? If I can make the shifting smoother and transitions better - I'm all for it, but how does this mod achieve that again? Sorry if I'm missing something in the post. I see you say it's going to make a slightly stifter clutch pedal feel - is it b/c of this, you are saying I'll have a better sense of the clutch engagement point or something?

Thanks,
-WoW

Old 10-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
I just finished putting mine back in, I had the spring out for a few months and it defiantly makes it much easier to feel the clutch engagement, but what drove me nuts was the play in the pedal and the firmer feel. After putting back to its original state I was amazed on how much softer the pedal is now no more tired leg for me, lol. And yes it is very simple to remove the spring but putting it back in is no easy task.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Yea it does make it stiffer on your leg. LOL. There shouldnt have been any play though. I dont have any, You just have to adjust the bold with the sensor at the top that i pointed out in the video.

There is a spring under the dash in the clutch assembly that removes some of the resistance when you push the clutch pedal in. It is put there to make it easier to push the clutch pedal in. Unfortunately what it does at the same time is make it more difficult for us to actually "feel" the clutch as it engages and disengages. It makes for a much smoother gear transition thus resulting in quicker pickup, better launching and a more consistant range of motion throughout your shift.

Putting the assembly back in was actually easier than taking it out. But none of it is ver hard. The good thing about this mod is that it is simple, not too time consuming and fully reversible. If you want a better feel out of your clutch its worth trying. Dont forget when you do this mod that you will prob have to adjust the top bolt conected to the sensor in order to remove the play in the pedal. Its as simple as turning a wrench for 2 seconds.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
I agree that the feel is much better without it but even using the CC sensor I couldn't get rid of all the free play, plus I drive in a lot of traffic so it made for a sore leg, if it wasn't for that inch or so of slop in the pedal I would have kept it out because it defiantly makes a huge improvement.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:19 PM
^^^ Thats amazing, i literally dont have any play. sorry to hear that.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going to attempt this in a couple days. What do you guys mean by play? Like the top of the clutch pedal where it can be pressed down slightly without pressure? Because I already have that on my clutch pedal and thought it was normal. IIRC, someone said that taking out the spring will remove any clutch play. Can anyone chime in?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 AM
I had some clutch play but after adjusting the CC sensor at the top of the clutch peddle assembly i had none what so ever. Mine is perfect.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
So you just completely removed the spring and thats it?

Old 10-04-2010, 10:08 AM
^^^ thats it. Its about a 20 minute job start to finish if your mechanically inclined. Otherwise maybe 30-40 min. Seriously makes a difference! I highly doubt you or anyone else would be disappointed.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome DIY, I'm tempted to stay late at the shop today and do this!

Old 10-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Do it, its only another half hour at the shop and you'll be glad you did!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch fix spring removal mod diy complete!