Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Edge racing high stall Torque converter!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edge racing high stall Torque converter!!!!!!

I just finished installing my 3000 high stall torque converter. ben driving around for 400 miles now with it and it is simply amazing. Not only does it jump off the line like a monster, but it made my 100+ pull a whole lot better its a night and day difference i def give all thumbs up to andre at edge racing WOW!! n i dont have FI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Def worth every single penny:J AMINJAMIN:

Old 10-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
really? i've heard mixed opinions on this one

Old 10-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
How much did it cost?

Old 10-17-2010, 01:42 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
I seen this before, its only beneficial if you drag, you actually loose some WHP apparently.

And it heats up your tranny fluid a lot more. Since you normally do not go above 3k in the city or highway cruising.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:52 PM
it cost 525 smakers mayb on the dyno it may loose whp not sure but i def dont feel any lost. andre asured me that i do not need a tranny cooler with the one i have. he said it will make it run cooler we will see about this when i drive n test it more.!

Old 10-18-2010, 01:09 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
A higher stall TC will definitely run hotter around town. Higher stall = more slippage = more heat. There's no way around it. The kicker is the OEM TC has a listed stall speed of 2800rpms so going to a ~3000rpm stall isn't going to be a huge step up so a tranny cooler might not be warranted.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
I seen this before, its only beneficial if you drag, you actually loose some WHP apparently.

And it heats up your tranny fluid a lot more. Since you normally do not go above 3k in the city or highway cruising.
It really depends on the efficency of the TC. A good TC won't bleed off power and some might actually power over the OEM TC. The OEM TC in our cars is pretty efficent and high tech, so my guess is the Edge TC is just a modified OEM TC and much of the efficency is preserved.

The downside to many higher stall TCs is that the throttle can feel mushy and elastic around town. Not until the rpms get near the stall speed does the throttle feel more connected. The obvious improvement is in the car's ability to launch at a higher rpms and with great torque multiplication.

With my G, I didn't want to loose out on throttle response or around town driveability nor spend $1000+ on a TC and install. I choose to spend $350 and put in a 3.54 vlsd gear which increased overall torque multiplication by about 6% and gave me a much needed LSD. Throttle response around town and on the highway improved, the car launches a bit better, is better on the auto-x, and I only gave up about 1mpg on the highway. It's all in what you want to do to the car.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:23 AM
Received 111 Likes on 98 Posts
Hey Daveb, from what car do i need to get the rear end from. Is the rear end you have the same or different as the 3.7 gears? I want something a little more off the line and a vlsd would b great. what do you recommend?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
It really depends on the efficency of the TC. A good TC won't bleed off power and some might actually power over the OEM TC. The OEM TC in our cars is pretty efficent and high tech, so my guess is the Edge TC is just a modified OEM TC and much of the efficency is preserved.

The downside to many higher stall TCs is that the throttle can feel mushy and elastic around town. Not until the rpms get near the stall speed does the throttle feel more connected. The obvious improvement is in the car's ability to launch at a higher rpms and with great torque multiplication.

With my G, I didn't want to loose out on throttle response or around town driveability nor spend $1000+ on a TC and install. I choose to spend $350 and put in a 3.54 vlsd gear which increased overall torque multiplication by about 6% and gave me a much needed LSD. Throttle response around town and on the highway improved, the car launches a bit better, is better on the auto-x, and I only gave up about 1mpg on the highway. It's all in what you want to do to the car.

it def feels a lil mushy aound town. oveall i love it. and i am still thinking of changing my diff anyway i have a 2003.5 but it has an open diff. and i didnt spend 1000 engine was begin swaped so i got it done for free!!

Old 10-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB

Couldnt have said it better myself.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by r1forever80
Hey Daveb, from what car do i need to get the rear end from. Is the rear end you have the same or different as the 3.7 gears? I want something a little more off the line and a vlsd would b great. what do you recommend?
My 3.54 "pumpkin" came out of a 6MT G sedan. It was a simple bolt in. The 3.69 geared pumpkin from the 07+ G sedans has a different driveshaft mount in the pinion. Basically you have to unbolt this part and then install the one of your existing pumpkin. See the thread in the Drivetrain section about pumpkin swaps. It will answer most of your questions. Keep in mind that you'll likely loose the use of cruise control if you go with the 3.69 gear set.

I'd go no deeper than the 3.69 gearset on the typical bolt-on VQ35DE. The VQ35HR and VQ37HR use the 3.69 gear set because they rev out to a lofty 7500rpms, the tires are 2.5% taller, and the they're are a bit heavier. The HR cars need the additional torque multiplication to get their heft off the line and to operate effectively in higher rpm range.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:26 PM
What rear end is in a 04 coupe 6sp wit brembos? I have access to one of those

Old 10-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
^^the same as any V35 6mt. 3.54

Old 10-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I understand that a high stall unit can allow you to rev higher on lauches but I'm not willing to put up with the addtional slippage (aka throttle response loss) in my day to day driving. I've been trying to improve my throttle response with my mods, not hurt it. Just my perspective.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:49 PM
So I'm guessing if its the 3.54 from a 6mt it is vlsd?. Sorry for noob ???? I've just haven't had time to research this. Thks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Edge racing high stall Torque converter!!!!!!