Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Its time for 3.5 or 3.6 rear gearing !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Actually you do lose it. But as the ratios get shorter, you lose the CC at lower mph levels (in general). It's just semantics and it's all clarified some way or another in this thread.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Actually you do lose it. But as the ratios get shorter, you lose the CC at lower mph levels (in general). It's just semantics and it's all clarified some way or another in this thread.
So you're trying to tell me Dave saying "you lose CC with 3.7 fd" actually means "it stops working after 80 or 90mph"? Puleeez who you trying to kid

BTW, what MPH does OEM CC stop?...

Old 11-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Red Card Crew

Dave has clarified, you have clarified.

I don't know exactly what Dave meant but I explained how I took it.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Apparently you're the only one that took it that way because several people commented on not wanting 3.7 because they thought it would lost CC (after Dave posted) - I'm positive it wasn't because they didn't want to lose it after 80 or 90 MPH...
Bottom line is; lost CC is not something that should prevent people from considering 3.7 (because it doesn't happen). Nothing more to it.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Red Card Crew

It's discussed here. https://g35driver.com/forums/reviews...l-drive-3.html

From some pretty mechanically inclined guys. Take it for what you will. It's not really for you perse, it's for all others reading the thread. They can read and decide for themselves. For the record, I'd like to do either teh 3.5 or 3.69 swap.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:35 PM
I researched everything about the gears and LSD prior to doing the upgrade - nothing in that thread is foreign to me. However, only one guy posted an issue from loss of CC - the rest was speculation... and since far more have done the swap with no issues it doesn't take much logic to realize its not an absolute. In fact, there's nothing to say that his CC wasnt lost due to something entirely different. Afterall, if it was definitely and solely due to sensor interpretation we all would have lost CC. But of course we didn't.

But by all means, continue to spread the bogus info while those of us that actually DO the mods run without issue.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Red Card Crew

It's people posting their actual experiences. Just as you have. They seemed to have an ACTUAL experience different than yours.

dtor's experience at losing cc at 75mph
Originally Posted by dTor
The ECU compares the wheel speed sensor to the transmission speed sensor. When there is more than a (IIRC) 7 mph difference, it kicks the cruise control off and will not let you reengage it until the car is shut off for 10 seconds.

Trust me, I know. I swapped from 3.3 to 3.5 gears and can't use my cruise above 75 mph. When I plug in Cipher, the transmission speed will show about 81-82 mph while my wheel speed (the actual speed the car is traveling) will show 75 mph. Speedo maintains the correct speed.
He never chimes in with his own experience but it's worth a look since he's running a 3.9:
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
There are 3 different sensors that the computer takes samples and comparatives from. I don't remember all 3 right now, but the wheel speed, trans speed and another.. When numbers don't match up, within a certain % - the cruise wont work.

I have heard of some 3.3 conversions to 3.5's that still work..and some 3.5's to 3.7's that do as well, but rare and not at all reliable operations.

Rick
Yes speculation but it's worth the read since some info is contrary to your actual experiences.

Not sure why you are stating it's spreading of bogus information unless you are stating that these guys's info is bogus.

I just wanted to post the info. Have at it mike. If you think it's wrong, then chiming in that thread might be in order. It's their information, not mine.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 11-15-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

3.3 to 3.7 its it a big difference yes or no ? i dont care for CC

Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 PM
It's people posting their actual experiences. Just as you have. They seemed to have an ACTUAL experience different than yours.

dtor's experience at losing cc at 75mph
Originally Posted by dTor
The ECU compares the wheel speed sensor to the transmission speed sensor. When there is more than a (IIRC) 7 mph difference, it kicks the cruise control off and will not let you reengage it until the car is shut off for 10 seconds.

Trust me, I know. I swapped from 3.3 to 3.5 gears and can't use my cruise above 75 mph. When I plug in Cipher, the transmission speed will show about 81-82 mph while my wheel speed (the actual speed the car is traveling) will show 75 mph. Speedo maintains the correct speed.
He never chimes in with his own experience but it's worth a look since he's running a 3.9:
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
There are 3 different sensors that the computer takes samples and comparatives from. I don't remember all 3 right now, but the wheel speed, trans speed and another.. When numbers don't match up, within a certain % - the cruise wont work.

I have heard of some 3.3 conversions to 3.5's that still work..and some 3.5's to 3.7's that do as well, but rare and not at all reliable operations.

Rick

Yes speculation but it's worth the read since some info is contrary to your actual experiences.

Not sure why you are stating it's spreading of bogus information unless you are stating that these guys's info is bogus.

I just wanted to post the info. Have at it mike. If you think it's wrong, then chiming in that thread might be in order. It's their information, not mine.
Originally Posted by OCG35
I researched everything about the gears and LSD prior to doing the upgrade - nothing in that thread is foreign to me. However, only one guy posted an issue from loss of CC - the rest was speculation... and since far more have done the swap with no issues it doesn't take much logic to realize its not an absolute. In fact, there's nothing to say that his CC wasnt lost due to something entirely different. Afterall, if it was definitely and solely due to sensor interpretation we all would have lost CC. But of course we didn't.

But by all means, continue to spread the bogus info while those of us that actually DO the mods run without issue.
Thank you for making my point easier to address.

Really? Hmmm, why did you only post one guy's actual experience?

Keep grasping Jeff... you're sinking slowly.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by kyemaul
You should read the various reviews. From what I read, it's a very noticable difference.

Like I said, I suspect you'll still have CC capability. Just at what mph it stops working is really the question.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by kyemaul
it's not likely you will lose cc... "big difference" is relative. What might be a big difference to one may not be to another... but 3.7 will give snappier acceleration that 3.3 and 3.5

Get whatever is the best bargain (typically used 3.5 pumpkin is going to be a cheaper alternative). If you have no budget, there's no reason not to get 3.7

Old 11-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
Dave has clarified, you have clarified.

I don't know exactly what Dave meant but I explained how I took it.
i took it this way as well.

without wading into the e-dickmeasuring contest above (and below), people should remember that, in general, the more you change on our cars, the less you should expect things to operate as normal.

You should read the various reviews. From what I read, it's a very noticable difference.

Like I said, I suspect you'll still have CC capability. Just at what mph it stops working is really the question.
what mph does 3.3 stop working?

Red Card Crew

Thank you for making my point easier to address.

Really? Hmmm, why did you only post one guy's actual experience?

Keep grasping Jeff... you're sinking slowly.
One guy's actual experience is not inclusive to his own running of the particular unit. He has read in his experiences on the forum:

I have heard of some 3.3 conversions to 3.5's that still work..and some 3.5's to 3.7's that do as well, but rare and not at all reliable operations
I actually mentioned he didn't even post what happened.

But thanks for the semantics war. It's always entertaining *sarcasm*

Old 11-15-2010, 07:44 PM
what mph does 3.3 stop working?
I'll give you a hint... it's page 5-17: http://www.infiniti-techinfo.com/ref...finiti-G35.pdf

So if we are suggesting "at some point you lose cc" (which is stupid) - then even OEM loses cc.

So the fact that my 04 goes to 90 and Marks 03 goes to 80something is enough PROOF that cc works with 3.7 (and yes, there are others)...

If you (meaning anyone) are using "semantics" with your interpretation of "losing" meaning at a giving mph, then ALL (including OEM) cc is lost at some point and the topic is pointless as it's not relevant to 3.5 or 3.7 FD upgrade.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Its time for 3.5 or 3.6 rear gearing !!!