Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

DIY: Differential Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just want to put in a plug for fluid guns instead of bottle-top pumps if you're pumping by hand. They pump around a liter each push instead of about an ounce.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^Yeah those are nice if you can find one that you can fit into that area down there. I just did mine yesterday and found the amsoil pump to work great. It fit on the bottle perfect and has a big hose to pump the fluid in quickly.

I'd also recommend to anyone who hasn't changed theirs or don't know if it's been changed to change it! Mine was nasty!

Old 01-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
^ Haha, fresh diff oil is nasty.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ha...what are you talkin about, a cup a day will make you a MAN! Kinda makes you want to change it more often than 30K though. That stuff looked like malasis pouring out of there and the magnetic drain plug had so much crap on it the thing barely wanted to come out of the hole....

Even though that Amsoil severe gear oil should last a long time I'll probably change it again sometime just to get the metal shaving out. Same with the tranny.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The OP needs to edit the DIY to mention loosening the fill plug first before removing the drain plug. It is better to be safe then sorry.

Also, I think 75w-90 gear oil will work. I got the Amsoil synthetic 75w-90 oil. I need to buy a couple more jack stands so that I can have the car fully lifted before I do my diff oil change.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for pointing out to loosen the fill plug first! Thats why this forum is the best!

Originally Posted by ShaneH85
I have a 2006 6mt g35 coupe with about 63k on it, today i did a list of things on the 60K service list and decided to do diy on the rear differential change. I hope this is somewhat helpful to someone.

What you will need:
3 quarts of 80w-90 gear oil (not synthetic, just plain gear oil)
Fluid pump.
10mm hex bit to loosen drain plug and fill plug
3/8 drive ratchet and small extension

make sure you have your front wheels higher than than the rear to make sure all the gear oil possible can get out.

FIRST LOOSEN YOUR FILL PLUG TO MAKE SURE YOU DONT DRAIN YOUR FLUID AND NOT BE ABLE TO GET THE FILL PLUG OUT Then you loosen your drain plug, the bottom one and once it is loose make sure you have a catch pan or bucket that can hold at least 4 quarts of fluid. Once you brake the bolt loose you will need to unscrew it the rest of the way by hand to make sure you don't drop it in your bucket! Once the plug is out and the fluid is draining take a min to look at your plug, it should be a magnetic one and just look to see if there is any metal shavings on it. If there is have it checked. It will take a good 10 15 mins for all the fluid to drain out.

Replace your drain plug back and make sure is tightened down real good, some replace the washer i did not do so. I also took some brake cleaner and cleaned up around the drain plug so i could watch to see if there were any leaks while filling the case back up. Let your front wheels back down to where the car is level for the next step. This will insure you are putting the correct amount of gear oil back.

Remove your fill plug located to the right and above the drain plug. Use your fluid pump to start pumping your 80w-90 gear oil back into the differential. Some say it holds 3 quarts, mine was just a little less. I was told by the service department to fill it up until it starts to slightly drain out the fill plug hole. Once that's done, replace your fill plug and clean the area with brake cleaner again. With my car on jack stands i started my car, put it in first gear and let it run for a couple of mins while i watched leaks, and listened for anything out of the ordinary.

Hope this helps guys and sorry no pictures i couldn't get the damn things to load right.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:36 PM
^^^, Yeah, it is good to be on these forums. Good knowledge and saves a lot of money. I joined some other G forums but they suck.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i no some people say to keep the tranny fluid oem but can i use amsoil for the diffs?..my cars gonna have about 85k on it by the time spring comes and i do the tranny and diff service...i dont mind keeping oem just thought id run a better quality lubricant

Old 01-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by mkvl127
i no some people say to keep the tranny fluid oem but can i use amsoil for the diffs?..my cars gonna have about 85k on it by the time spring comes and i do the tranny and diff service...i dont mind keeping oem just thought id run a better quality lubricant
Yes, for diff oil you can use Amsoil 75w-90 Synthetic. That is what I bought and others have bought as well.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:11 PM
ok thanks..just wanted to make sure i dont want my car to act up because i put in different fluids..ill stick with the oem nissan fluid for the tranny

Old 01-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by mkvl127
ok thanks..just wanted to make sure i dont want my car to act up because i put in different fluids..ill stick with the oem nissan fluid for the tranny
I've only seen OEM requirement for the tranny fluid, everything else you can use 3rd party fluid.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:57 PM
i have an X and on the amsoil website it says use oem fluid for the transfer case..now is there 2 diffs and a transfer case?..so ill do both front and rear diff with amsoil and the transfer case with oem nissan fluid???

Old 02-15-2011, 11:45 AM
mine had metal shavings on it. is that normal?

Old 02-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by vp-g
mine had metal shavings on it. is that normal?
Im not trying to be a smart ***, but i would think anytime you have metal shavings in any lubricating liquid in a car its time to have a professional have a look imo. is this in your rear end diff or your tranny>

Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
I changed my fluid @ 65k, it had metal shavings. I know a couple others that did it too and they also had shavings. Some infiniti tech said that the shavings were from the break in period of the car and normal. Don't know if that's the true but my car runs fine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Differential Fluid Change