Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Drivetrain Fluid Questions....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Drivetrain Fluid Questions....

My car has 108k miles on it... Its due for fluid changes and I am not about to take it somewhere and get rapped again for work i am more than capable of doing.

My question is.... Transmission fluid. What do you use, what can you use? I know a lot of Transmissions use and are recommended to use GM SyncroMesh. I was wondering about putting Royal Purple SyncroMax oil in the 6 speed tranny. Anyone have any advise?? What is the Manufacture spec fluid for the tranny?

Also, what does the Manufacture call for on the Rear Diff Lube????

Old 11-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Coupes don't come with a manual??

6.2 pints of 75W90 GL4 for your MT
3 pints of 75W90 or 80W90 GL5 for your diff (I use Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90)

Last edited by Swivel; 11-29-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Use the search!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Coupes don't come with a manual??

6.2 pints of 75W90 GL4 for your MT
3 pints of 75W90 or 80W90 GL5 for your diff (I use Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90)
Amsoil is synthetic right??? What exactly is the GL4? Is that a synthetic blend of something????

Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Use the search!

^I'm Ignoring You!

Old 11-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuneff
Amsoil is synthetic right???
Yes.

Originally Posted by Kuneff
What exactly is the GL4?
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=definition+gl4

Old 11-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Banned
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
nissan oem manual fluid. Many have had issues when using other fluids.

https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...ve-issues.html

Old 11-29-2010, 02:53 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
For my diff I have always used Amsoil 75W90

Old 11-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
hahhahaah.....

All definitions for GL4 acronym or abbreviation have been removed or haven't been published yet.
Super Info there Swivel... thanks for Google'n that for me...

Gear oil is a motor oil made specifically for transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials in automobiles, trucks, and other machinery. It is of a higher viscosity to better protect the gears and usually is associated with a strong sulfur smell. The high viscosity ensures transfer of lubricant throughout the gear train. This is necessary since the devices needing this heavy oil do not have pumps for transferring the oil with only a portion of the lowermost gears bathed in an oil sump. This heavy oil can create viscous drag leading to inefficiencies in vehicle operation. Some modern automatic transaxles (integrated transmission and differential) do not use a heavy oil at all but lubricate with the lower viscosity hydraulic fluid, which is available at pressure within the automatic transmission.

Most lubricants for manual gearboxes and differentials are hypoid gear oils. These contain extreme pressure (EP) additives and antiwear additives to cope with the sliding action of hypoid bevel gears.

API ratings
Gear oils are classified by the American Petroleum Institute using GL ratings. For example, most modern gearboxes require a GL4 oil, and separate differentials (where fitted) require a GL5 oil. It is important that purchasers check the oil against the vehicle manufacturer's specification to ensure it does not contain any aggressive chemicals that may attack gear components, such as the phosphor bronze used in many Japanese boxes.

API viscosity ratings for gear oils are not directly comparable with those for motor oil, and they are thinner than the figures suggest. For example, many modern gearboxes use a 75W90 gear oil, which is actually of equivalent viscosity to a 10W40 motor oil. Multigrade gear oils are becoming more common; while gear oil does not reach the temperatures of motor oil, it does warm up appreciably as the car is driven, due mostly to shear friction (with a small amount of heat conduction through the bellhousing from the engine block).

Fully synthetic gear oils are also used in many vehicles, and have a greater resistance to shear breakdown than mineral oils. They can improve the shifting performance of "difficult" gearboxes, where the excessive slipperiness of some mineral oils can impede synchromesh action.[citation needed]

API classification subdivides all transmission oils into 6 classes:

API GL-1, oils for light conditions. They consist of base oils without additives. Sometimes they contain small amounts of antioxidizing additives, corrosion inhibitors, depresants and antifoam additives. API GL-1 oils are designed for spiral-bevel, worm gears and manual transmissions without synchronizers in trucks and farming machines.
API GL-2, oils for moderate conditions. They contain antiwear additives and are designed for worm gears. Recommended for proper lubrication of tractor and farming machine transmissions.
API GL-3, oils for moderate conditions. Contain up to 2.7% antiwear additives. Designed for lubricating bevel and other gears of truck transmissions. Not recommended for hypoid gears.
API GL-4, oils for various conditions - light to heavy. They contain up to 4.0% effective antiscuffing additives. Designed for bevel and hypoid gears which have small displacement of axes, the gearboxes of trucks, and axle units. Recommended for non-synchronized gearboxes of US trucks, tractors and buses and for main and other gears of all vehicles. These oils are basic for synchronized gearboxes, especially in Europe.
API GL-5, oils for severe conditions. They contain up to 6.5% effective antiscuffing additives. The general application of oils in this class are for hypoid gears having significant displacement of axes. They are recommended as universal oils to all other units of mechanical transmission (except gearboxes). Oils in this class, which have special approval of vehicle manufacturers, can be used in synchronized manual gearboxes only. API GL-5 oils can be used in limited slip differentials if they correspond to the requirements of specification MIL-L-2105D or ZF TE-ML-05. In this case the designation of class will be another, for example API GL-5+ or API GL-5 LS.
API GL-6, oils for very heavy conditions (high speeds of sliding and significant shock loadings). They contain up to 10% high performance antiscuffing additives. They are designed for hypoid gears with significant displacement of axes. Class API GL-6 is not applied any more as it is considered that class API GL-5 well enough meets the most severe requirements.

But with that in mind.... Royal Purple is saying it works with GL4 or GL5 requirements... But they don't show a listing for 75/90 in different GL ratings... So is theirs universal????

Max-Gear is an ultra-tough automotive gear oil. It’s designed to maximize power and provide unsurpassed protection to heavily loaded gears. It makes gears run smoother, quieter, cooler and longer without overhauls.

Max-Gear outperforms other gear oils because it combines the highest quality synthetic oils with Royal Purple’s proprietary Synslide additive technology.

Max-Gear is recommended for use in truck, motor home / RV, and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions, and lower gear units of marine engines that specify use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid. All viscosities of Max-Gear are formulated with hypoid friction modifiers necessary for use in clutch or cone type differentials. No additional additives are necessary.

Last edited by Kuneff; 11-29-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:00 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
stop trying to be a f@g and use some purple ****.

Just use what everyone else is using, which is Amsoil 75W90