Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Transmission Fluid Q

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a motordyne spacer and a ztube/jwt popcharger. Does it void the warranty and should I take that off before I take it in?

Old 03-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me. Many people on the forum have fluid changes done at Nissan instead of Infiniti. Ask them which fluid they will be using just to be super sure. Your mods should not effect the warranty. I'm not sure if Nissan does warranty work on Infinitis.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan just changed my tranny and differential fluid and it seems to be driving a LITTLE better but it is still doing that shaking when I press the gas/let off the gas at higher speeds (40 mph and greater). It seems to do it more when the car heats up and has been driving a while. I am changing the oil this weekend to amsoil full synthetic. It has been 3500 miles since the last change at Firestone, where they used Kendall full synthetic and maybe that is crappy oil. Hopefully that helps but idk.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
If I were you I would head to the Infiniti dealer and have it checked. You now have a reciept from Nissan that the correct fluid was used. Just don't mention the Firestone deal. Do you ever get a pause if you stomp on it and then a hard shift?

Old 07-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't no what they put in your car but the tranny doesn't like it. On the other hand I believe there are a lot of quality brand ATFs that can be used. Nissan nor Infinity make tranny fluid. They use someone elses fluid and stamp there name on the bottle. ENEOS is actually made in Japan so i would guess they may use it in the tranny? not sure. It's the same thing with motor oil. As long as you use oil that is compatible and the same viscosity your fine. There are many ATFs that are compatible with the J and S matic fluid. My car is no longer under warranty so I will use what I feel is a good high quality fluid and oil. The dealerships make tunes of money after the sale from the maintenance department. Telling you to only use there parts and products are it will void your warranty which isn't true. They would have to prove that the product you used actually caused the brakedown or failure of any given parts. Just my 2 cents guys and im sure a lot of you agree.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
#1. Stop driving the car.

#2. Call up Firestone, tell them you want them to just give you the 12 qts of OEM fluid, and you will perform this service elsewhere. This is not likely to happen... do no use their "flushing" machine. Do not have service performed here, they obviously didn't do it right the first time. DIY or dealer at this point.

#3. Replace all fluid using the AT cooler outlet. If you are 2003.5 or later you have dipstick. Check fluid after driving gently for 5mins using the cold range on the stick. Add necessary amount and be done.

It will take a few cycles of filling emptying to get 10ish quarts through. It won't be 100%, but you will be better off than not at all. Use matic-s fluid only, as stated above.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Do not use any other tranny fluid other than nissan matic s (J is no longer produced but is compatible). Using any other fluid can damage the friction plates.

Rebuilding the tranny is relatively easy, just rebuilt my tranny with an Alto Red Eagle rebuild kit w/Kolene steel plates.

Thier are basic rebuild kits(Friction plates, O rings and seals) for $300.00 which does not include thrust bearings.

Whatever you decide I would have dealer inspect it and than if any damage present the results to Firestone for compensation.

The dealers do not rebuild transmissions they just replace them.