Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Need to replace the stock clutch...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need to replace the stock clutch...

I have an 06 G35 MT with 80k miles

last weekend i noticed my clutch starting to slip. i brought it the my mechanic and he quoted me right at 1k to put in a new clutch and resurface the flywheel (Includes $600.00/OEM Infinit parts and $300.00/labor). ive been combing through these forums for hours trying to find out if its worth it to replace it with OEM parts from Infiniti or go with something aftermarkket.

I notice alot of you on here are using JWT or Exedy clutch kits. I guess my main question is whats the best clutch kit to replace with. JWT? Exedy? OEM? Stage 1? will any of these work with a resurfaced stock flywheel? (i know theres alot of talk about not being able to resurface the stock ones. My mechanic said he has a machine shop down the street that does it... so we'll see if he knows what he's talking about). or should i fork up the extra $$$ and get a new flywheeltoo? if so which one?

My budget is between 700 and 900 (that includes the 300 for labor)

Im not planning on doing any serious future mods, just dropped in a K&N air filter the only thing i plan on upgrading. everything else will remain stock. I just figured if im going to replace the clutch, is it worth replacing it with something that will give me a little bit more...?

I wouldnt say i drive it very hard, just the occasional fast acceleration pulling on the a highway to remind me why i bought this car!

From what Ive read so far im leaning toward going with the Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit and resurfacing the stock flywheel. If it turns out that resurfacing the stock flywheel will be a problem, I'll probably go with the Nismo flywheel. What do y'all think?

Last edited by bmxrider5387; 11-01-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am faced with the same situation. My throwback bearing is worn, and on my build list I want to upgrade my clutch and flywheel. Instead of fixing the current bearing issue, I'm just going to bump up the priority of that clutch assembly and flywheel.

I think since your not really looking for a performance upgrade, you might find it more cost effective to stick with stock IMO. I'm looking at the JWT high pressure clutch assembly and low inertia flywheel and together its about $800.

Last edited by GroundnPound; 11-02-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Banned
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
I know its a slightly out of your budget but our Clutch/Flywheel combo is one of the best deals on the market, and we have had great experience with them, this way you get a performance gain (lightweight flywheel) and don't have to re-use an old part. One of our customers is running our Mild Performance clutch and flywheel making 426rwhp on his Vortech G35.

More info can be found HERE

-Rob

Old 11-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The main reason I want to stick with the stock flywheel, aside from cost, is to keep the chatter to a minimum. If I do end up going with an aftermarket flywheel I would prefer one that is similar in total weight to the OEM one. I saw one that was relatively inexpensive. A single mass, similar weight, but it had the weight more confined to the center creating lower inertia. It seems like this would give you the best of both worlds right?

Old 11-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by bmxrider5387
The main reason I want to stick with the stock flywheel, aside from cost, is to keep the chatter to a minimum. If I do end up going with an aftermarket flywheel I would prefer one that is similar in total weight to the OEM one. I saw one that was relatively inexpensive. A single mass, similar weight, but it had the weight more confined to the center creating lower inertia. It seems like this would give you the best of both worlds right?
Unfortunately probably not, although any added mass would somewhat dampen the chatter, the moment of inertia is inversely proportional to the chatter, so higher MOI = less chatter.

By personal comparison I would say our flywheel chatters about same if not less than JWT, I assume just based on design since ours is the lighter of the 2.

In my car i ran a JWT for years (prior to Z1 flywheel release) and i will say, the chatter isn't as horrible as its played up to be, once you learn how to drive it and avoid loading it up under 2k you never hear it.

-Rob