Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch, flywheel, throwback bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clutch, flywheel, throwback bearing replacement

My throwback bearing is worn, or so my mechanic tells me. I have been looking at replacing the clutch assembly and flywheel with the JWT setup anyway. Is the throwback bearing something else too? or will replacing the clutch assembly take care of that? Also, is it something that I can do with some help of a mechanic or should I just cough up the extra cost and take it to a shop?

Old 11-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
Its called a release bearing and yes you need a new one. nissan sells them for like $30

and No a clutch swap isn't something I suggest you do as a DIY...take it to a shop

Old 11-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Banned
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
As Bahram said, the release bearing (AKA throwout bearing) is a separate part, but is included in most clutch kits. I would not advise removing the transmission just to replace the throwout bearing since the clutch is inevitably going to fail.

If you don't have the proper tools and experience I do not suggest this as a DIY, the transmission isn't exactly light, and its not the easiest task on jack stands (although ive done it this way nearly 10 times lol) It also requires a press to remove the old and install the new throwout bearing. It takes us about 4 hours to complete in the shop, and I have seen first timers on jack stands take several days, so definitely don't attempt if its your only transportation.

Where are you located?

Let me know if I can help you with anything!
-Rob

Old 11-03-2011, 04:22 PM
I am in Greenville South Carolina. Thanks for the replies.

It just kills me to have something done at a shop and have to pay out an extra five hundred dollars...

Totally understand the fact that its not an easy job. I have tried to research it a bit but am finding it hard to get anything very helpful. However, my father owns a large tree company in the area and they have their own garage and mechanics. In the past, I have taken my car there to do all my work on it. They have all the tools I need except for a lift but the mechanics there have been able to stop to help me anytime I needed a hand. *If* it's something that I decide to do on my own, are there any resources out there for at least a schematic of the transmission and clutch?

Old 11-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Z1, you are about three hours away from where I live! I just assumed that you were a performance shop on the west coast like most other places on this forum. I would gladly drive over there for you guys to do some of the work I want done on my car, especially when it comes to tuning.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by GroundnPound
Z1, you are about three hours away from where I live! I just assumed that you were a performance shop on the west coast like most other places on this forum. I would gladly drive over there for you guys to do some of the work I want done on my car, especially when it comes to tuning.
I appreciate the kind words!

I know that's a decent drive but if you decide to make the trip let me know and i'll get you a time set up!

Thanks!
-Rob

Old 11-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want to bring this back up if thats cool. I think im having the same problem. Lately when i start the car in the morning, I press the clutch to start, and when i release, it only comes about half way back. pull it back all the way with my foot, pump the clutch a couple of times and its fine. But the other thing is when I release the clutch pedal it makes a rattling sound, friend said it either a pilot bearing or release bearing.

So im thinking about just replacing everything, but im wondering if some of the stuff might be covered under infiniti powertrain warranty? Its got under 45k miles, but i have no idea how the previous driver, drove it. Ideas? Im guessing the flywheel will have to be replaced, my last stick car, had around the same mileage and it needed to be re-machined. Im thinking either Z1 Performance Street Clutch Kit or Southbend / Fidanza G35 DXD Clutch/Flywheel Combo. I wonder if i can get infiniti to replace the CSC and do the labor?