Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Yet another clutch question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Yet another clutch question

I know you guys are probably answering questions about clutches burning and going out but I have yet another. I just purchased my G and one day while driving the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. This only happened once and I haven't had any other sticking. I came on the board to read that the slave cylinder can be the culprit of this and I checked it out. Actuation was fine and there was no evidence of leaking. I drove it gently for a week and just went ahead and purchased a clutch kit from Z1 Motorsports during their Black Friday Sale. Went out of town and scheduled an appointment with the dealership just to look over the clutch and the entire car since I just purchased it.

Nissan said the clutch was fine, the slave and master was no issue at all and the car was in impecable shape.

My question is while driving spirited the clutch and the gears feel right at home and sync up. The weird thing I am feeling is I can feel the transmission not wanting to go into gear when I'm just putting around. I am pretty good at rev matching while shifting. Am I just being overly concerned. Is this a normal quirky manual transmission?

Old 12-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Good talk. Thanks.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Banned
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Our transmissions are somewhat notchy, It seems like this is what you are experiencing. What year? Early (pre-06) G's tend to have syncro issues which can cause such problems, 06+ had the latest revised (CD009) Transmission which nearly eliminated the syncro problems.

As far as the pedal randomly sticking to the floor, may need to replace the clutch fluid. If it is not happening regularly I wouldn't worry to much.

Let me know if I can help with anything!
-Rob

Old 12-09-2011, 03:11 AM
You could try using a synthetic manual tranny fluid to get smoother gear changes. I have used Redline MT-90 on older Toyota Supra notchy trannies with some success. Not sure what is reccommended for the G though.