Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Kit car transaxle question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Kit car transaxle question

Hey guys, I have been working on plans for a home built kit car and had a few ideas that I hope someone could chime in on. My plans are to use a rear/mid engined vq35 in my tube frame car. I don't however think that I want to use a fwd setup such as the maxima/altima drive train in the rear, easy as it may be. I do however think that the manual trans would be a very desirable setup though.

Heres my question. I would like to accomplish this while sticking with a longitudinally mounted drive-train. I was toying with the idea of using the trans-axle from a g35x/fx35 awd vehicle as a rear/mid engined setup and simply voiding the drive shaft back. The paddle shifter setup could be fun I guess, as long as I could install a shift kit like the stillen unit. My question lies in whether or not it would be possible to...

a. ....physically weld the gears to allow a 100% fwd torque bias
or
b. Could I program the attessa-ets to naturally send all power to the front portion of the drivetrain somehow?
or
c.....find some other way to get to accomplish my "end game"

I know of many Subaru projects that involve welding the trans to obtain a 2 wheel drive setup in the way I'm looking to execute this. What do you guys think of the idea? Is it possible/plausible, or am I just gonna be stuck with a transverse mount power plant with cobbled together exhaust/turbo setup and limited power handling?

So lets brainstorm my possibilities here.

And please, leave the B.S. out of here as I don't want this thread to deviate too far from the project. Thanks guys

Old 12-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Wow, not one person has any input on this idea?!? I assumed that at least one person would chime in here to either flame me or give their thoughts. What about using the 4wd trans from the trucks? With their 50/50 torque split, it seems doable, however the gearing may be undesirable.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think I would spend the time to get a proven transmission setup like the porsche G50 to work with the VQ instead.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the reply. I thought about that, but the g50/g60 go for 5k and up. Not to mention the fab work involved with making an adapter plate to mate the 2 together. I am trying to dig up some info on how the titan 4x4 trans distributes power. If it is a full time 50/50 split, then my quest is over as I would only have to remove the driveshaft.....in theory.