Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

New clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New clutch

Hey guys,

Should I go for a stage one or stage two clutch on my completely stock g35 with a brand new oem flywheel?

I don't plan on doing any serious mods in the future, but I do drive really hard basically all the time.

Thanks

Old 10-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts
Stage 2 if you do semi aggressive driving

Old 10-02-2012, 02:37 PM
What are the disadvantages to stage two?

Old 10-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Bump -anybody else have opinions on this?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you get the stage two clutch, it would engage sooner and there will be less pedal play. If you see a lot of stop-and-go traffic, your left calf would get a nice workout. I'd expect a little tire slippage on inclines with less than stellar traction. Each brand's stage two clutch will differ from other brands, so there will be some discrepancies.

I've had a Competition Clutch stage two clutch on my S14a and a hybrid organic-ceramic OEM clutch on my EJ1, but I am also shopping around to replace my stock clutch on my V35. I enjoy spirited driving as well and all my previous cars but the Civic have had "serious mods."

Why are you replacing your flywheel in the first place? Wouldn't resurfacing the stock flywheel be a viable option?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by SpeedFreek34
If you get the stage two clutch, it would engage sooner and there will be less pedal play. If you see a lot of stop-and-go traffic, your left calf would get a nice workout. I'd expect a little tire slippage on inclines with less than stellar traction. Each brand's stage two clutch will differ from other brands, so there will be some discrepancies.

I've had a Competition Clutch stage two clutch on my S14a and a hybrid organic-ceramic OEM clutch on my EJ1, but I am also shopping around to replace my stock clutch on my V35. I enjoy spirited driving as well and all my previous cars but the Civic have had "serious mods."

Why are you replacing your flywheel in the first place? Wouldn't resurfacing the stock flywheel be a viable option?
Nice car! How long have you had the s14?

I've heard really mixed responses in regards to our oem flywheels being resurfaced. Apparently its hard to find a shop that will actually resurface that model and it also apparently can create issues. I'm not speaking from personal experience though so it's hard to tell.

I do see a lot of city driving, but I'm also driving hard whenever possible so I'm worried about a stage ones longevity. Do you think a exedy stage 1 would hold up to a fair amount of abuse? I'm really hard I'm my clutch as long as I'm not in stop and go but I'm bone stock

Old 10-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Originally Posted by canehdian_guy
Nice car! How long have you had the s14?

I've heard really mixed responses in regards to our oem flywheels being resurfaced. Apparently its hard to find a shop that will actually resurface that model and it also apparently can create issues. I'm not speaking from personal experience though so it's hard to tell.

I do see a lot of city driving, but I'm also driving hard whenever possible so I'm worried about a stage ones longevity. Do you think a exedy stage 1 would hold up to a fair amount of abuse? I'm really hard I'm my clutch as long as I'm not in stop and go but I'm bone stock
Thanks, canehdian_guy! I bought the S14a used in 2005 and totalled it earlier this year when a kid in a Jeep pulled out of the parking lot without looking (so about 6 years, 10 months). That's when I found a reasonable 6MT V35 in the Long Beach area. The wif has a 5AT V36, but I wanted something fun to drive.

I haven't done any research on the VQ's flywheel yet, but I guess I might need to if I plan on getting the clutch replaced too.

I've had an Exedy stage 1 (OEM kit) clutch on my near stock EJ1, but I used to be abusive and that lasted a year. When I say abusive, I mean I used to take it to the local 1/8 mile track (among other places) and run pizza deliveries in the evenings. The clutch feel was completely stock. Besides, I like the feel of grabby clutches. But since the VQ35 has more torque than my anemic D16, I doubt the stage 1 will satisfy our type of clutch usage.

Last edited by SpeedFreek34; 10-04-2012 at 03:50 AM. Reason: missing the words: "The clutch"
Old 10-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Brutal! Being a G fan though I feel things worked out for the best haha. I've been scouring for days for this point of view. Thanks a lot I would have regretted the stage 1. I've only ever ridden a stage 1. Whats a stage two like in traffic? I'm assuming the bad reviews just came from people who couldn't adjust haha.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:38 AM
Your best bet is see if you know anyone with a stage 2 clutch on their VQ35 and test drive their car. If they're a close friend, swap cars for a day or two and see if your clutch foot is prepared for traffic. Weigh your pros and cons. You wouldn't want to drive a 6MT that you makes you wish you had a 5AT.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys i drive my G35 pretty aggressively also and its come time for me to replace the clutch. Im not quite sure on what is good brand of clutch. I would like to get a stage 2 clutch but i dont really want to spend more than 500. Do you have any suggestions?

Old 10-19-2012, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by SDS23
Hey guys i drive my G35 pretty aggressively also and its come time for me to replace the clutch. Im not quite sure on what is good brand of clutch. I would like to get a stage 2 clutch but i dont really want to spend more than 500. Do you have any suggestions?
From what I have heard I would suggest the Exedy stage 2.

The store selling me the clutch however told me that the stage 2 will cause clutch chatter. From what I hear clutch chatter is mostly cause by a lightweight flywheel, but I guess it could be caused by the clutch too. I don't know a whole lot about this but it' might be something worth looking into if something clutch chatter bothers you.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, im kinda lost when it comes to the tranny so this really helped