Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Southbend Clutch rubbing/grinding noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southbend Clutch rubbing/grinding noise

Ok so i have just installed a brand new CD009 transmission, southbend clutch & flywheel in my 03 coupe.
Last night driving the car home from the shop i noticed this sort of rubbing noise when the clutch is engaged and accelerating. When the clutch is pressed in for more than probably 3 seconds the noise stops. There is no noise at all coming from the clutch when at a stop in nuetral and pressing the clutch in and out, it's very smooth.
I took it back to the shop today, the guy that did the install for me mentioned something to do with the Southbend clutch being a copper mix and he thinks that is normal from that type of clutch. Just wanted to know if anyone has had any similar experiences with the same clutch or clutch type. I have also been told by someone else that it is normal when the clutch is first installed and it should stop after a few 1000km of driving.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thank you

Old 02-12-2013, 03:16 AM
BUMP

Need some feedback. Can't seem to find anything on the internet about the Southbend clutches making this noise. I can't work it out.
There is a brand new throw out bearing in the car, pivot ball, ss clutch lines. THE LOT!
I have driven nearly 300km since installation, the noise is not getting any quieter. Someone please chime in that knows what could be up.
Thank you

Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it only does it while accelerating with clutch fully engaged it can't be the clutch, it would only make noise during engagement when the disk rubs its mating surfaces. Are you sure it's just not normal trans chatter noise? Did you put good trans fluid in it or use the stock fluid? The stock trans fluid is very thin and with a single mass flywheel the trans will rattle under 2500rpm, under load with clutch fully engaged

Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by ZSpeedPerformance
If it only does it while accelerating with clutch fully engaged it can't be the clutch, it would only make noise during engagement when the disk rubs its mating surfaces. Are you sure it's just not normal trans chatter noise? Did you put good trans fluid in it or use the stock fluid? The stock trans fluid is very thin and with a single mass flywheel the trans will rattle under 2500rpm, under load with clutch fully engaged
thanks heaps for your reply,
i am 100% sure it's not the trans shatter, that is only noticeable at low rpm when i take off from a stop. this rubbing sound continues right through all the gears on every change.
i have now driven close to 1000km on the new gear and it's still the same, i am beginning to think it's normal considering the car drives perfect just has this strange rubbing noise and one of my mates has a single plate clutch on his s15 and says he's got the exact same sound but i'm yet to drive his car to compare.
i am using Amsoil 75w90 trans fluid, i have just got 4 qt of genuine Nissan trans fluid i was planning on changing the Amsoil out for genuine stuff but i'm not too sure it will fix anything. Thoughts?