Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch Line Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch Line Help

My clutch pedal had the common problem of being mushy and sticking, so I decided to replace the clutch slave cylinder while replacing my clutch fluid. I ordered a new cylinder, had all my tools laid out and got to work. Everything was going relatively smoothly until I went to reinstall the (stock) clutch line back to the new cylinder. It didn't fit. It didn't fit because the little "nubbin" or metal extension on the end of the line past the opening/banjo bolt connection didn't line up with the hole drilled into the slave cylinder, so I couldn't install the bolt in straight while having the clutch line go on correctly.

Well, it must be a poorly made clutch cylinder I thought, and ordered another one that I trust the tolerances a little bit better. I then started looking at SS clutch lines, and none of them have this metal extension, so I wonder and what I ask all of you, is this "nubbin" or extension really needed? Can I clip it off, or should I just wait for the new cylinder to be delivered? Also, can I reuse the same crush washers that were on the line again? I've also heard horror stories of bleeding the clutch line. Got any tips or are those stories overblown? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Phecke; 06-24-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
If the washers are not deformed, you might be okay reusing them. The nubbin helps keep the banjo bolt from spinning and potentially loosening, however most after market hoses don't include it. My SS brake lines didn't include it either.

Bleeding the clutch line is fairly simple, I do it every spring as preventative maintenance for the "clutch sticking halfway up on hot days" issue. A one-man bleeder kit with the clear hose makes it a pretty simple job.