Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

04 sedan Slave Cylinder brand and stainless clutch line

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 sedan Slave Cylinder brand and stainless clutch line

So i believe my slave cylinder is contaminating my clutch fluid (first time i bled it had gunk in there, second time less gunk but still gunk) so i'm looking to do a replacement on it. Plus it looks rusted and nasty. It does look like a straight forward install (couldn't find a DIY for it unfortunately). My question is, what brand do i buy and where to buy? I know Centric makes one, and i know there's an OEM one as well. It seems there are several aftermarket performance master cylinders, but not any for the slave cylinder. Since i have an 04, i see some use a cast iron fork and stamped steel fork. Any way i can tell a difference between the two?

Next question is stainless steel clutch lines. I read they're all the same. Is there a link to buy one that i know will fit perfectly without any issues that doesn't cost as much?

Old 04-11-2016, 11:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm right there with ya...

Originally Posted by aznattic
So i believe my slave cylinder is contaminating my clutch fluid (first time i bled it had gunk in there, second time less gunk but still gunk) so i'm looking to do a replacement on it. Plus it looks rusted and nasty. It does look like a straight forward install (couldn't find a DIY for it unfortunately). My question is, what brand do i buy and where to buy? I know Centric makes one, and i know there's an OEM one as well. It seems there are several aftermarket performance master cylinders, but not any for the slave cylinder. Since i have an 04, i see some use a cast iron fork and stamped steel fork. Any way i can tell a difference between the two?

Next question is stainless steel clutch lines. I read they're all the same. Is there a link to buy one that i know will fit perfectly without any issues that doesn't cost as much?
I'm new to this community and I'm dealing with similar symptoms with my clutch fluid. It literally looks like maple syrup. Clutch engagement is fine, shifts into gears fine. I turned to the forums for a little insight, this is my first Nissan, a large percentage of the mechanical stuff I'm already inclined to. My clutch pedal has pressure, my clutch doesn't slip. Upon disengaging the clutch through gears, the pedal goes down, and sometimes doesn't come all the way up. It's not consistent. First and foremost I'm going to flush this yucky fluid out, throw fresh in. Having read several posts dealing with my said issues/symptoms a lot of the members typically speak about master/slave replacement. It's common practice to change both, as the master aids in slave's mechanical duties.

I stopped by a local garage on my way home from work just to see what labor would cost for the two to be replaced. Then when I was there, I asked a question similar to yours. I had been looking at the upgrade master/slave options from z1motorsports and another company. The upgrade options aren't too expensive, for some folks. So I asked the owner about these products and upgrade options, he literally told me this, if you want to go blow 4-500 bucks go for it. He said on a OEM/stock replacement clutch, it won't make any difference at all. More of just something to talk about, or floss, as we call it in GA.

Personally i looked at Centric and AMS automotive. Decently priced and will provide your stock clutch with what it needs. Not sure if you know or heard of rockauto.com go check them out they carry OEM replacement parts, if your on a budget like me, ya might start shopping there. Just a heads up Nissan outsourced this part and countless other parts to be manufactured on all their autos ever produced. If you shop with a trusted source for parts, they will offer parts that meet or exceed "OEM" specifications and you'll more than likely get a warranty.

Z1motorsports has SS lines by the way. I bet you could find a diy online to make your own and save money.
I'm going with dot 4 fluid when I flush the clutch res. Can take more heat then dot 3, the heat is playing a good roll in darkening the color and reducing the hydraulic properties of the fluid. I've also read that clutch dust is as well. Haven't been able to definitively find out though.

Hope this helped you.

I'll visit your thread after I flush with a status report.

Z1 SS Clutch Line
https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-sta...5-pr-2206.html
Doesn't say anything about installing if your running OEM clutch or not. Pretty cheap though, people have left really positive reviews. Might be something I'll look at this weekend...

Last edited by LuxuryMuscle; 04-11-2016 at 11:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aznattic (10-18-2016)