Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

flywheel replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flywheel replacement

So the clutch on my g is going out. It has 111k miles on the original clutch and i was just wondering if i should keep the original flywheel and replace the clutch with an oem one, or if i should go with an aftermarket clutch/flywheel. And if so, what setup do you recommend?

Thanks for the help,
Drew

Old 10-07-2017, 07:59 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Can't re-use the flywheel, single use dual mass flywheel. As for what flywheel/clutch that completely depends on you, do you abhor clutch chatter or are you willing to sacrifice your NVH for a little less rotating mass and bite? The stock unit is quiet, smooth, and heavy. Aftermarket options are loud, engage abruptly, but are light. Also some folks I've dealt with in the past don't care for the extra force it takes for a stronger than stock clutch, personally I don't care but if you have ANY left knee issues it might matter to you.

See if you can find someone in your area with an aftermarket stage1 clutch so you can stand next to the vehicle, every clutch is going to sound different based on manufacturer, do your research and buy from a reputable vendor because they typically won't carry garbage brands. Check out the marketplace vendors for some reputable ones

Also keep in mind you should be replacing the clutch master cylinder, clutch operating cylinder (slave cylinder) and all fluid when replacing the clutch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.