Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Performance Drivetrain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Performance Drivetrain

So, my brother and I want to start a project on my 03 G35 6MT Sedan. It may or may not include a twin-turbo kit from GReddy. Supposing we were to take on such a project, I would need a transmission that can hold up to the added hp and torque. Now, it is a manual transmission, and I intend to keep it that way, I actually want to enjoy driving my car, so I'm not looking for a fake manual. Anyone now what a good transmission for this project might be? And if not, can anyone at lest point me in a direction where I can find one? I've tried looking it up on most of the big search engines, but apparently relevance is not their priority. Also, anyone know where I can find a selectable locking diff? I would weld it but I do plan on driving my car on an almost daily basis, so I would prefer not to weld it. I appreciate any help and would like to extend my gratitude in advance.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:28 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Stock transmission can handle nearly ~1000lbs of torque (CD009 has more synchros so try to find one instead of the 3-4 you have), rear diff your best option is a clutch LSD unless it's purely a straight line track car. If it is just a straight line car and you have room in your budget for a synchronous transmission then go that route.

How much power are you trying to make and what is your overall purpose for this vehicle?

Old 10-31-2017, 11:46 PM
So the purpose of this vehicle is more of a "I'm too busy worrying about whether or not I can, that I'm not really worried about whether or not I should." I literally want to see how much I can get out of it while maintaining street legality. The reason I ask about a locking diff is because a friend of mine is trying to get me into drifting and the car is RWD. I am somewhat surprised to hear that the stock transmission can handle that much though.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:28 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
As long as you're ok with the noise and vibration a good 2 way LSD is the way to go honestly.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:55 PM
I don't really mind the vibration and noise, my main concern is being able to drive the car on an almost daily basis without having the same drawback that a welded diff does. That being said however, if there is a way to get rid of the noise and vibration by dropping a little more cash on a diff, I don't mind waiting to save up.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:16 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yeah, then you're looking for a good LSD if you want driveability. Fully locked rears just hop and make all sorts of noise on even mild corners, look into some of the "silent" LSD options out there if you're ok with a 1.5 way rear. I don't think it's even possible to make a silent 2 way. If it's mainly a drifter then you're also going to want solid bushings for the differential, it's pretty harsh though so be warned, if you're not doing COMPETITION drifting then stick with urethane bushings.

Upgrade the suspension, especially the sway bars, the body roll is going to kill your stability and predictability.

Extend the e-brake because it requires an unnatural arm movement to find it.

Adjustable dampening shocks is highly recommended so you can match a bumpy track if needed.

Strongly recommend a roll cage because **** happens.

The G is heavy, gutting the interior will help immensely but if it's a daily driver this probably isn't an option, at least become familliar with removing the passenger and rear seats for track days.

The G has great balance and is predictable to turn but until you are very COMFORTABLE with drifting I'd stay away from the forced induction, honestly it's a lot easier to learn a vehicle that makes about as much HP as this one does stock, spend the extra money on tires... lots and LOTS of tires lol. You and the fedex delivery guy will be on a first name basis with as many tires as he's going to be delivering.

It's a pretty rewarding feeling though, I haven't done any real drifting in years but I have friends that still keep up with that part of the industry, they're all filthy american car drivers so...

Old 11-02-2017, 01:28 AM
I thought about it, and I don't think I want to use this car for competition. Again, this is an "I'm doing this because I can" project, and I estimate it'll take a couple of years. The turbo-chraging isn't really supposed to happen until I build a performance engine for it. A friend of mine has a VQ35DE block that he's had sitting around for some time and he offered it to me for a steal. I was gonna use that to build a new engine since I have a feeling that my current engine's lifespan has been shortened prematurely thanks to Hurricane Harvey. I asked about the transmission and differential because I wanted to replace the entire powertrain a some point. Either way thanks for the pointers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.