Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Differential bad or worse?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Differential bad or worse?

Okay, so I am wondering what the problem may be. I went to the store and was driving slowly thru the parking lot and all of a sudden... Vroom, it revs up, while in gear and would no longer go. I threw it in neutral and back in gear and nothing. I turned it off in N. and started it back up, threw it in gear and still no go, BUT when i throw it in park, it clicks, like it being put in park while moving. So did I just break the differential? Eventually the clicking in park stops. I haven't checked, but I think that the driveshaft spins while in gear.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:29 PM
Another thought, if it is the diffy... I see non-locking diffy's but i'm thinking that mine has a locker. When I turn and spin out the whole rear breaks loose and fish tails.

Last edited by TheGuyGuy; 12-31-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:37 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Have it towed to a shop, sounds like something broke but it's impossible to tell without pictures from underneath. May have been a u-joint, may have been a cv axle (I'm leaning towards the CV axle theory right now).

If your AT had the performance package then it will have the VLSD but you can slide the rear out of an open diff as well so your testing method isn't a good reflection of what the vehicle is equipped with.

The "clicking in park" may have been extra damage from putting it into park while the transmission is spinning. The lockout will physically allow this with a broken driveline since the vehicle is not travelling and your foot is on the brakes but the parking pawl will be sheared off due to all the rotating mass of the transmission, hopefully this isn't the case for you but you'll find out soon enough I suppose.

The following users liked this post:
TheGuyGuy (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 12:20 AM
Hey Cleric670 how can I tell if it was equipped with the VLSD and also what does the V stand for? I have the 19" rays. They may have been an upgrade. Not sure. It's an '05 Coupe base 5AT.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:27 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Viscous Limited Slip Differential, it's a fluid coupling connecting the two driveshafts in a fashion SIMILAR to how a torque converter works if you are familliar with one. If you you should probably just watch a youtube video on it because the new year just rang in, I'm a little buzzed... and tired... and going to sleep

Jack up the rear at the differential, leave it in park, try to spin one rear wheel, if it spins freely then you have an open diff, if it spins with moderate resistance then you have the VLSD.

The following users liked this post:
TheGuyGuy (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 05:26 AM
lol thx

Old 01-01-2018, 05:55 PM
Hey cleric670, wouldn't a broken CV make a lot of noise? I haven't got it towed yet, but when it's in gear it doesn't even make any noise. Except when you put it in park.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:20 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Depends on what end broke, there's a lot of moving parts so I wouldn't assume anything else. Just get the vehicle up in the air, should be obvious what broke.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:24 PM
Okay, had to go out to my car to get something and I started it up and threw it in drive and confirmed that the drive shaft is spinning. So it's not the trans which was my first guess right after it happened until that little clue from the clicking in park. Also,... no CV movement. My dad thinks it could possibly be something simpler than the the whole differential. He said something about it maybe having a pin holding something on the diffy's yoke or w/e or maybe a u-joint. It's so quiet though. There isn't any noise.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:24 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yeah I'd be really shocked if something broke inside the diff, it's a very solidly built item and has less than a powerball lottery chance of kabooming while driving slowly through a parking lot... keep this thread updated when you find the culprit.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:07 PM
Apparently, my dad's mechanic doesn't want to touch it. He referred him to another guy that he said specializes in those "foreign jobs".

Old 01-02-2018, 07:09 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Hah, like any car is different.

Protip, they're not, they're all the same.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:15 PM
That really surprised me. My dad is always saying to people how much of a good mechanic he is, but he doesn't want to work on a foreign car?

Old 01-02-2018, 09:39 PM
https://www.enjukuracing.com/blog/te...ntial-removal/

I need to make sure first, but it looks fairly easy. Shows them here doing it with hand tools. I also have new exhaust to put on it so I might as well do that at the same time. Okay so the guy texted back and said that he'd been real busy and he should have room for it if I want to tow it to his shop and he'd be able to get around to it in a week. So that's nice to know... However, growing up in/around my dad's body shop I've learned to work on cars and I've always found Asian cars pretty easy to take apart and put back together as far as body panels, but I do know that the rear suspension was a bit of a pain with most of the bolts being froze up (struggling with a battery powered impact). It'd be nice if I could just do this myself, but we don't have a garage or shop anymore. The guy said (before the car broke down) that he'd let me put my exhaust on there. I said I'd pay for the use of the shop.

Last edited by TheGuyGuy; 01-02-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:29 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yeah its pretty straightforward but I STRONGLY recommend getting it up in the air a day or two before you actually plan on working on it and go to town with a bottle of PB Blaster on every bolt you plan on removing, you will appreciate it and it lessens the chances of breaking a fastener.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Differential bad or worse?