Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Differential bad or worse?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right on. I had it towed today. We talked to the guy for a while and while him and my dad were talking I hosed all the bolts down with PB. Got the part ordered as well. I hope I got the right one.

EDIT: Ummm, I just went ahead and bought a used diffy. Which came off of the same type of car (same year, also coupe, not that it matters, but same color). However, I don't know if it's the same. The car had aftermarket wheels. I kind of thought mine may of been a limited slip and this is an open diffy. It's the RC33. I'll have to check my tag and see what I actually have. Should of done that first, but it's too late now. I didn't know it was right on the tag... crap.

Last edited by TheGuyGuy; 01-04-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:08 AM
So this is a 3.357 final gear and i'm beginning to think that is the highest ratio. I was actually hoping it'd be the lowest. My car may be equipped with the RC33 axle anyway, but I'll find out soon enough. I don't really want to go faster at top end tho. That's not what I'm looking for. I want to accel faster from a stop. I should of done a little more research first. I was in a hurry to get the part on the way you know? I'm without a car here.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:31 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You can always swap it again in the future I suppose. So it IS a broken differential? Did you drain the fluid and remove the diff cover to see if it was visibly broken inside?

Old 01-04-2018, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
You can always swap it again in the future I suppose. So it IS a broken differential? Did you drain the fluid and remove the diff cover to see if it was visibly broken inside?
The mechanic looked at it and stated that it'd "almost" have to be the differential. He said he didn't see the axles moving or anything, but the driveshaft was spinning. He seemed kind of pi**y about it when the car showed up and said he hoped he didn't regret it .We told him we'd pay for a slot in the shop to do it our self if he didn't want to do it, but I think he wants the money and said he would. I was just looking at the wiki for the sport model 3rd gen G35 and the only thing I noticed was it said the 6MT came with a sport tuned suspension and a 'VLSD'. Didn't say anything about the 5AT or if there was a sport 5AT even. I know mine has an aftermarket spoiler so i was thinking that if there _was_ a sport 5AT that it'd come with a factory spoiler. I didn't want to bother the guy and have him look at the axle code for me. I read that the RC33 isn't a LSD so i don't know if that's right or not. I saw it on the forum. The infiniti parts page showed ONLY LSD and VLSD.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:18 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Both transmissions were available with the VLSD but in different gear ratios. I think the 5AT was 3.3 and the 6MT was 3.5.

The diff is incredibly easy to drop on the G, hopefully the mechanic becomes a believer after seeing how pleasant the vehicle is to work on. Get some pictures of the damage when you find the culprit, I'm really curious to see what could break in the diff under stock torque since people run 600+lbs torque through it with slicks and traction is still the limiting factor.

Only thing I can think is it developed a leak and ran dry.

If he keeps bitching about those "foreign jobs" remind him this is the 21st century and he ain't workin on grand pappys Massey Ferguson.

Last edited by cleric670; 01-04-2018 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Google autocorrect....
Old 01-05-2018, 04:37 AM
Lmao

Old 01-09-2018, 01:15 PM
According to https://g35driver.com/forums/vindecoder.php I have the 3.36 final gear ratio. I haven't been able to check what my car says as the axle code, but doing some reading, I found that the RC33 (which I ordered) is VLSD w/ 3.357 final gear. So, It sounds like I did good at guessing which differential to get.

EDIT: Also, checked the donor car's VIN and it matches my equipment as far as final ratio, _BUT_ not on the infintiusa.com page. Apparently, the donor car has "track trim" and NOT a sport which I have confirmed that mine IS. Plus, me finding that the RC33 was VLSD was just something someone said on a forum. It looks as if there is a 2PIN and an LSD on the infinti parts page for the donor VIN. The part number that the seller posted was similar to these infiniti part #'s but isn't a vaild number. So I may have a raggedy, open differential.

EDIT2: Here is what Infiniti told me my car's differential part number is: 383100C010 while the part I'm getting has a number: 383110C044

Last edited by TheGuyGuy; 01-09-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Turns out it wasn't the rear end, but something about the tone ring on the rear end not being inline with the sensor he noticed and he said it snapped back into place like there was some sort of catch on it or some ring or w/e to lock it in place. So now i have an extra NON posi differential that I don't need. lol

Last edited by TheGuyGuy; 01-13-2018 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:08 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Keep it for when you want to order a quaife, nismo, ats, or other REAL lsd so you can build that axle and then swap it into the car when you're ready

Old 01-13-2018, 03:53 AM
Hell yeah! I was thinking of keeping it too and putting lower gears in it.

Wow, looks like those kits are more than I paid for the differential, tow and labor to fix my car. lol I'm thinking when I broke my knuckle and had it apart that I must of pulled that axle out from the differential just enough and after so long it worked it's way out. That was February of 2017 when I did that. I don't see how it didn't do it right away.

Last edited by TheGuyGuy; 01-13-2018 at 04:18 AM.