Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

OEM 6MT Final Drive/VLSD Pumpkin Swap Complete!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM 6MT Final Drive/VLSD Pumpkin Swap Complete!

Hey guys,

Just wanted to give everyone my thoughts/impressions of my latest mod - I purchased a complete rear-end assembly from a wrecked 350Z through www.car-part.com that included the 3.53 Final Drive that comes in the 6MT 350Z (non-base) as well as the vicious LSD...

The install was really not that difficult (of course, with my mechanic and a lift to assist me) - it basically consisted of removing the rear sections of the exhaust, unbolting the existing assembly (some of the bolts are pretty hard to get to though without the right tools), putting new fluid in the new assembly (recommended - I used Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W90), and bolting the new assembly back in along with putting your exhaust back together... I also purchased a Nismo Rear Diff Cooler Cover at the same time, and removing the old cover and taking a look inside, it looked as if everything was nearly new with hardly any wear (you wouldn't say that by looking at the condition of the case, though!) so I think I got a pretty good replacement piece...

OK, now to what I spent...

1) Complete Pumpkin - I found it on car-part by searching "2003 Nissan 350Z Carrier, then 6MT excluding base model" and there are various ones from $1,000 to $400 - I found one that was listed at $500 and he told me he'd ship it to me for $555 - I said I'd give him $500 shipped and he took it, so I was happy (FYI, the $400 one wanted $165 for shipping! ouch!)

2) Nismo Rear Diff Cooler - $111 shipped from Performance Nissan - looks great, has had good reviews, and comes with all new hardware, which was a plus... I definitely recommend this if you are doing this swap or any kind of aftermarket LSD/FD swap...

3) I gave my mechanic $50 for helping me and letting me use his tools/lift/etc - which I think is a steal b/c there is no way I could have done this laying on my back in my driveway (the assembly weighs about 100lbs, fyi)

So all in all, I have under $700 invested in this and I got both an upgraded final drive AND an LSD at the same time - not bad if you ask me! And let me tell you, the first time you get on it, you will instantly feel the difference - it doesn't feel like I'm driving the same car! it is MUCH quicker off the line and in just about every driving situation and the LSD, though not wonderful, is a great improvement in traction in just about every situation - I've seen people that have ran before/after at the track and saw over a 0.5 sec reduction in 1/4 mile times - and I don't argue with it at all - not only does the car come off the line quicker, the revs also stay higher between shifts, almost making it seem like the shifts are performing faster than before... regardless, this is DEFINATELY a worthwhile mod that anyone with a 5AT that didn't get the Performance wheel/tire upgrade ('03-'04) or any '05 5AT owner should really consider... if you have any other questions, just let me know! I'll try to post pics of what the diff cooler looks like under my car later on today or this weekend (below is a picture from Performance Nissan's website)

Attached Thumbnails OEM 6MT Final Drive/VLSD Pumpkin Swap Complete!-img_1904.jpg  
Old 05-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Very nice. I was thinking about doing the same thing. Thanks for breaking down the costs. Very usefull. The only question I have is. Does it affect the shifting at all? Manumatic or full auto? Also how much higher are your revs at cruising speed on the freeways? Thanks.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Devil's Advocate
Getting mine done next week, I can't wait.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:59 AM
I have a AT '04 Coupe w/ the performance wheel/tire upgrade does it mean I have 3.53 gears on now? Please clarify anyone.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Does the change in gearing affect your speedo/odometer? Do you know the ring and pinion ration for a ’03.5 6MT sedan, by chance. My pre ‘04 car did not have an LSD option.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Devil's Advocate
Originally Posted by G35TRex
I have a AT '04 Coupe w/ the performance wheel/tire upgrade does it mean I have 3.53 gears on now? Please clarify anyone.
You do have a VLSD (came with the wheel and tire package), but your final drive ratio is 3.2.

Originally Posted by headpaneer
Does the change in gearing affect your speedo/odometer? Do you know the ring and pinion ration for a ’03.5 6MT sedan, by chance. My pre ‘04 car did not have an LSD option.
Speed is determined by sensors in the hubs so no it won't screw up your gauges. All 6mts should have the 3.54 ratio already. There is a 3.9 available for you guys if you really like shifting through the gears.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:47 PM
At 70 mph - before, I was cruising around 2400rpms... now with the upgraded FD, I'm around 2650rpms - BUT that's a good thing! Because at 2400, my Injen exhaust was at the point where it was almost droning and was very loud - now at 2650, the exhaust note is noticably quieter and more mellow - me and the wife both appreciate it!

As for the shifting, like I said - it feels as though the shifts in both Auto and Manual mode have become quicker because the revs stay higher than before... no lag in between shifts like before...

Old 05-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Yep, if your considering doing a oem VLSD swap that is the way to do it. NEVER EVER, do what I did and buy a viscous core and think yippie this is going to be cheap, oh no it won't be, leason learned. Buy the compleate pumpkin wth the LSD already inside.

Old 05-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Thank you for your through write up. I'm seriously considering this mod since I feel the 5AT gearing is way too high (Especially 1st and 2nd) which results in less than spectacular off the line performance (Once I get going it's a different story).

I remember reading about someone that had problems with their cruise control afterwards. Are you having any issues?

Thanks again!

Old 05-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Devil's Advocate
Weird... I don't think that I have ever actually used my cruise control.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:36 PM
well, that's funny - I just came back from a highway drive to another one of my bank's branches... on the way there, when I went to set the cruise control (after it was already on), the "set" light was flashing and would not set the cruise control... so I was like "WTF?!?!?!" - I called my mechanic and he said that there is no way it should be acting up and suggested that if it keeps it up, to go to Infiniti and get them to check it out... then the crazy thing was that on my way back home, the frickin' cruise control worked perfectly! Now I'm really wondering "wtf?" and if it's something that's going to be a problem - I don't do that much highway driving anymore, so it really won't bother me one way or another... but as of now, it works fine... wierd...

Last edited by bzabodyn; 05-05-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:02 AM
pumpkin swap

a year later, any downsides about the pumpkin swap? or still all positives? thanks.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Hey guys,

I'm still a bit confused about this topic. I've read lots but I'm having trouble piecing it all together...

I've got one of the early model '03 6mt G coupes. Before they started putting the center console armrests in there! One of the originals - the one which won 2003 Motor Trend Car of the Year, in fact!

Anyway, from what I can tell I'd benefit from an '04 350z base model 3.3 vLSD. But I'm not 100% positive? I will be going FI next year. Would this Z's vLSD reallly be an improvement over mine? I'm not even sure what's inside of mine...

And if it's not much of an improvement, maybe I should drop some other gears in to make it an upgrade. Just seeking for some wisdom!

Thanks in advance!
B