Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Auto Transmission Maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Transmission Maintenance

Considering the engine power upgrades planned for my sedan, I wanted to gather G35 automatic transmission (AT) information.

Conducted a search for G35/350Z AT information including basic maintenance and fluid level checks.

Found nothing on basic maintenance and fluid level checks.

Did find many posts with thoughts, opinions and theorys. One said the G's AT is the same as the 340HP M45's.
Was this a wish or factual? If true, what is the source?

Other questions we should address:

1 - How many of us do our own basic maintence including fluid level checks? (I do.)

2 - Does your owner's manual describe how to check the AT fluid level?

Mine says see your local, friendly Authorized Infiniti Dealer. (Inifiniti must think we all live next door, and have lots of time and money to devote to the dealer for routine fluid checks.)

3 - Where's the AT filler tube? Is it the one located between the back of the engine and the firewall?

4 - How does the dealer, or anyone else, check the AT fluid level?

5 - Has anyone looked into the stock transmission cooling system? Is it adequate for the increased HP on hot days?
(A real concern for us desert dwellers.)

6 - Has anyone had to replace their AT fluid? If so, was it due to normal maintenance, contaminated (burnt) or another cause.

7 - Considering Infiniti's AT fluid "threat" in the owner's manual, has anyone actually gone to synthetic AT fluid?

8 - Will it be possible to upgrade to synthetic AT fluid and maintain the factory warranty?
(Grubbs sells synthetic fluid on their website.)

Old 07-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Auto Transmission Maintenance

#4: They have a funky little tool that contains a dipstick. They remove the cap that doesn't have the built-in dipstick and use the tool. I read that on this forum somewhere, but can't find it at the moment. Kind of a stupid situation, if you ask me.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 07-14-2003, 02:46 PM

Thanks ryoken,

I removed the bolt that holds the AT filler tube cap (plug) and then the cap. As you indicated, there's no way to check the fluid level without a "special tool. Did note the cap sticker saying ONLY use Nissan type J fluid.

Has anyone looked into the name and cost of this special tool?

Old 07-14-2003, 09:29 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I take it from your post that there is not dipstick under the plug you removed? That's very odd because altho I have one (under the same plug as you) on my Coupe, I distinctly remember one on my Sedan (an early model manufactured March/April 2002) .
I've attached pics of my Coupe's dipstick housing which is the same as the housing on my Sedan. I've also attached pics of my (Coupe's) dipstick plug removed along with the attached dipstick.
I've no idea why some G's come with this dipstick and some don't but it seems that there is a dipstick available for both the Sedan & Coupe, (may even be the same stick!) and it may be as near as your parts counter.
See 3 attachments:

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>

73772-Tranny Dipstick 001.jpg

Old 07-14-2003, 09:30 PM
O.F. Administrator

Pic 2 showing the plug:

73774-Tranny Dipstick 002.jpg

Old 07-14-2003, 09:32 PM
O.F. Administrator

and finally pic 3 showing the housing behind the intake next to the firewall. I have a ground attached to my hold down bolt:

73777-Wires 6&7 003.jpg

Old 07-15-2003, 10:03 AM

For reference, the AT cap/plug looks like gsedanman's pictures without the stick.

Old 07-15-2003, 05:40 PM

AT dipstick pictures sent to Infiniti dealer... reply below.

"Infiniti does not consider the transmission as consumer serviceable."

"According to our Master tech, it appears the picture you have sent is a modified dipstick plug, not available through Infiniti; however, it probably could be manufactured. The tool we use to check the trans fluid level is a big t-hancle and is not a part that you can leave in a car. If you have any questions, please call. If you can come up with a part #, let us know."

Need more data. Please check to see if you have a AT Dipstick or a plug.

Old 07-15-2003, 07:56 PM
O.F. Administrator

Dave, I took the dipstick out again, and found no p/n. As far as length: it's exactly 23 13/16" from the tip to the end of the wire 'stick' where it meets the plug. You say the plug part looks the same, and that you're just missing the stick part, so overall length isn't needed.
As far as what the dealer told you,....Ummmmm It may be a "modified dipstick plug" but it's what Infiniti sent my dealer when he ordered the car. So I'm asuming these Mod Dip Plugs are an Infiniti item.
Perhaps it's only on Canadian orders. LOL maybe that's why we didn't get a first aid kit, like US delivered cars . I'll phone my dealer tomorrow and ask him to look into it for me. He should be able to track down if it's only on Canadian cars or not and help to get to the bottom of it.
In the meantime have a look on the ESM. It may shed some light on it for you.
Such a lot of stupidity and secrecy (by Infiniti) for such an important and easy maintenace item. Go figure

Old 07-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I posted this on another thread:

<font color=blue>I checked a while back about why they didn't include a tranny dip-stick in the G. The service manager advised that Nissan uses several different tranny fluid compositions for each car. He said that if your tranny ever fails, they do an fluid analysis, and even a minute amount of foreign fluid detected could void your tranny warranty. They found that service stations that sometimes check your fluids, finding a low tranny level, sometimes top up with generic fluid, thus causing many failures.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 07-15-2003, 08:42 PM
O.F. Administrator

Yeh Gord I've heard that b4. But it doesn't explain why some G's have a stick and some not. There seems to be some inconsistencies (as usual). Thanks for the input.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:46 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't checked to see if I have one or not. How is the end of your stick marked? Since you provided the length, shouldn't be hard to make your own dipstick if you are so inclined.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 07-15-2003, 08:49 PM

I shouldn't probably check mine to see if it's marked or not.. =\

G35 Mafia Member # 01

Old 07-15-2003, 09:16 PM

Looks like this is a mid-year change. ESM says that for up to serial #099999 you need to use special tool. Above serial #300001 it's built in. They both look the same from the outside. Even show how when checking you unbolt and turn the cap 180 degrees so you can slide all the way in.

Old 07-15-2003, 09:33 PM
O.F. Administrator

Gord, the stick is marked very basicly: There are two marks at the bottom of the stick, one a 1/4" from the botton and other 1/2" from the bottom. I believe these are the cold and warm marks. Further up about a 1/4" is the start of the crosshatch area which extends a 1/2" further. That area is described as 'hot'.
If I were making a dipstick up, i'd get the length about right so as not to go in too far, then have the techs confirm the level with their 'tool', then immediately put in the replacement dipstick for the correct level on the stick, which could then be etched on the stick. From there, let the tranny completely cool, and look at the cold level which could also be etched on the stick.
All unecessary if available from the dealer. I'm 'phoning tomorrow for DaveO.
Another source could be other G's. Both my G's have the stick. Must be others out there. Shouldn't be hard to find one to make a deal with.

<font color=blue>grmensz</font color=blue> Thanks for looking that up. I didn't get time yet. My Coupe VIN is 206884 produced in Nov/02. The dealership didn't have time to look into it today.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 07/16/03 06:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Maintenance