Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Auto tranny manumatic question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Auto tranny manumatic question

Fellow G drivers I have a 04 Sedan with an auto tranny. I have been reading that the 04.5+ auto tranny's work differently when in manumatic mode. Basically the new tranny's work more like a true manumatic version then the older versions.

So is there an easy way to upgrade the software? on the older tranny's and where did you get the work done? For those that have done this work is it worth the hassle and what was the cost?

Thanks for any feedback that you can provide.

Old 02-17-2006, 03:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it in to the dealer, and they can reflash your TCU

Old 02-17-2006, 10:07 AM
sedan transmissions get different programming than the coupe ones... from what i remember the sedan trans will NOT hold the gear if you hit the redline.

i don't think you can switch transmission programs with a TCU flash, only upgrade to the most current version for your program (ie you can only load a sedan program, not a coupe one). so, if the newest sedan program has the gear holding, then you can do it i think. someone please correct me if i'm wrong, it's been a long time since i read anything about it.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SI_G35Coupe
sedan transmissions get different programming than the coupe ones... from what i remember the sedan trans will NOT hold the gear if you hit the redline.
R u sure man? I just took my car out today and i was wayy above the Red line for few secs and then the car started slowing down. Ofcourse i didnt do it on purpose i was just checking it out since i had the car for soo long and never drove it.

I do have a 03.5 sedan

Old 02-17-2006, 10:29 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by SI_G35Coupe
On this one I can only speak for the 04.5 and after sedans and not the previous design but the tranny WILL hold the gear as long you leave it there. Now, you will bounce off the rev limiter repeatedly if you do not change gears but it will let you do that as long as you want.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
My 03 will bang off the limiter without shifting. At strip, I consistently bang off the limiter as I hold 3rd past the finish line.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:23 PM
When in manumatic mode my sedan will also bang off the rev limiter depending on which gear I selected. However, what I was refering to was that the older sedans manumatic only worked in top gear mode I think. What I mean is even though the display say gear 4 you are not really in 4th gear but possibly gear 1-2-3 depending on your speed. Do the 04.5+ work the same way? Or do the gears and the display actually drop to 1 when you come to a stop. I am not sure if I'm explaining the situation well but hopefully you are getting what I'm saying.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:46 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by ITmenace
When in manumatic mode my sedan will also bang off the rev limiter depending on which gear I selected. However, what I was refering to was that the older sedans manumatic only worked in top gear mode I think. What I mean is even though the display say gear 4 you are not really in 4th gear but possibly gear 1-2-3 depending on your speed. Do the 04.5+ work the same way? Or do the gears and the display actually drop to 1 when you come to a stop. I am not sure if I'm explaining the situation well but hopefully you are getting what I'm saying.
Ok...I was not "getting" that this was what you were asking.

Yes, when I come to a stop my display goes down to 1. When I am driving and using the MM, the display shows whichever gear I put it in. If I bump it up one then the display goes up one, etc. It is on a very base level and manual without a clutch. Now that is a VERY base description but I think it answers your question. If not, let us know and we will (hopefully) clarify it for you.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
You are correct. Older autos MM = put in 4th,3rd etc.. = what the display shows. But at a stop, the tranny actually shifts to 1, then shifts up to the gear you selected in MM and will hold there until you shift it.

Newer MM = select MM and go to a stop. Tranny autmatically shifts to 1 and shows 1. And will hold 1st until you shift out of 1st. And based on what I've read from the latest reply, it will show all these gears when downshifting/upshifting.

Originally Posted by ITmenace

Old 02-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Folks thanks for your valuable input. So now the big question, is it easy for me to upgrade the programming on my tranny?

Chenga, stated earlier that I can get my TCU? reflashed? Have people actually done this and what was the cost?

Old 02-17-2006, 02:19 PM
right, what i meant was that older sedans, when you selected say "3"... that would actually give you 1-2-3, so more like a "top gear selector"... whereas in the coupe if you are in 3, you are in 3 and that's it

see if you can shoot a PM to GurgenPB, i believe he has an early 5AT sedan and has done extensive work with the transmission IIRC

Old 02-18-2006, 02:01 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think Gurgen looked into it back a while ago. I believe he said there was no practical way of upgrading the old one to the new. A tranny re-flash definitely won't do it.

Old 02-18-2006, 02:43 AM
I have an 06' 5AT, its called rev-matching, and yes it feels a lot more like manual.

Old 02-18-2006, 02:45 AM
I have 06' 5AT, its called rev-matching. Yes its a lot like manual much better then 03-04 tiptronic. If u have an questions let me know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Auto tranny manumatic question